advice for an rv newbie please (1 Viewer)

J

jethro

Deleted User
hi there. i have been offered a winnebago chief in part ex for my converted library truck. i was hoping to downsize and its more or less the same size but i am considering it because it might be more practical but know nothing about american rvs. could anyone offer me any advice. i'm a very capable diy-er and converted my own truck. i'm concerned about spares, reliability, bodywork etc.
any advice will be much appreciated...cheers..........geoff

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
hi there. i have been offered a winnebago chief in part ex for my converted library truck. i was hoping to downsize and its more or less the same size but i am considering it because it might be more practical but know nothing about american rvs. could anyone offer me any advice. i'm a very capable diy-er and converted my own truck. i'm concerned about spares, reliability, bodywork etc.
any advice will be much appreciated...cheers..........geoff

Hi Jethro,

Your request for advice is huuuuge!

Spares: There are a few suppliers on the forum and generally not a problem
Reliability: These are big motors with big engines, usually very reliable
Bodywork: Depending on the age there will almost certainly be some delamination. The important thing is to confirm it has been treated.
Etc: Err how long is a piece of string!

I guess you need to tell us where you are then meet up with another RVer.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
J

jethro

Deleted User
advice

hi chris. i'm up in bolton, lancashire.
my truck has a ply/fibreglass body and is problem free. guess i'm lucky. can i pressume that rv bodywork is the same construction as uk caravans ?
i used to work for a bespoke caravan builder so not too shy at fixing most bits and pieces but i know delamination can be a serious problem. don't want to have to encounter any serious bodywork problems tho. i will have to press the owner and find out exactly what condition it's in. he did say the body was "tatty" but that could cover all sorts. cheers.....geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Geoff,

Have you not seen the RV yet?

Anyone who describes the body as tatty makes for a little concern.

Construction is I believe similar to caravan.

I am suprised no one has come forward yet. Must be someone from that area.

We are in Devizes, Wiltshire so other end of country.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
J

jethro

Deleted User
concerned

hi there. sorry don't know the year yet and no, i haven't seen the rv.
i thought i should do some homework before i considered travelling to leicester area to view it. buying something so cheap causes me concern but appreciate the owner being open about it's condition. i'm off to devon in a couple of weeks and think i will drop in for a look on the way and give you all an update / chuckle when i get back. thanks ....geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back