Autotrail factory visit today (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well, we had the planned visit and factory tour today.. 200 miles each way, but worth the trouble... It took about 2 hours and included every part of the production process.....
We were very impressed with the whole thing.... the planning and attention to detail and the care taken at each stage.. The tour guide was an ex employee with 30 years on the 'shop floor' and a good knowledge of all the processes.... 12 of us on the tour, some Autotrail owners, some with vans on order like us and some newby's... The quality of materials and design are the key to the strength of the final van, with a great deal of care taken to ensure the integrity of the body with regard to ingress of water ( the biggest fear of most of us)
Every entry and exit point on the van where anything passes between the inside and outside are 'grommeted' and then sealed with silicon from underneath on the final process prior to Pre release PDI, which is carried out in another building... Yes, I am sure that the more technically minded of us could,, if we sat down and picked at each element,, could find ways to improve some "bits and bobs", but overall, it is as good a product as any of the many vans
to be found in the current market,, with the exception of the Niesman bischof types, at 5 times the price !!! I do hope that this is of some reassurance to those who have vans on order and maybe even poor old "Knockinonabit" who is having problems with his.. This is the first van I have witnessed being built, but I did spend 47 years in the motor trade, both on the spanners and as a boss and I was pleased with what I saw and look forward to seeing our new Tracker in February.. Hope I haven't "droned on" too long and that you find this useful... Mitch.. :thumb:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jenny and Mitch

Sound like you enjoyed your tour, only 200 miles each way. We have one of the Niesmann and Bischoff that you refer to and have just been to the factory open weekend in Germany which included a factory tour as well as large amount of alcohol, the tour was interesting and the alcohol was good too.

The price differential you mention is quite substantial but we bought a 2006 used model a couple of years ago and paid about the same or less than a new Autotrail depending on model and spec, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Hope you enjoy your Tracker when it arrives.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
In another thread there were plenty of AT owners singing the virtues of their MH's, alas in yet another thread there were those who were unhappy with theirs.
Perhaps MHF or an experienced member (I am NOT experienced) could organize a meet in the area together with a factory visit, maybe Johns Cross motor homes could offer some assistance in contacting Auto Trail. Just a thought and of course I would be glad to help where I can bearing in mind my lack of experience.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They don't allow children on the tour unfortunately so we had to cancel.

I don't know why I booked in the first place though because I wouldn't have had a clue what I was looking at:Doh:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
To Jenny and Mitch

I'm glad you enjoyed your tour.

Yes, they seem very thorough but from personal experience I don't think so. When you get your new MH I hope I am proved wrong.

As to sealing all the holes up and a PDI.................. not on my MH or the Apache of Rob and Chris. How many more are there that no one knows about ?

Anyway, best of luck when it arrives and I hope you aren't disappointed. :thumb:

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Mitch
Did you get chance to ask 100s of questions & could you speak to anybody else while being shown around? I've already scribbled a list ready for my visit made up from various posts on this forum.
My dealer's getting the 1st wave of questions so I'm armed with anything they can't answer.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Yes Andy, we asked and asked, also some owners had suggestions of ways to improve various "bits", but his answer to those was,, "send them in to the office with some photos"..
Which, in a way, I can understand, as he can't be expected to accept modifications 'mid-tour'.
But in general it IS a very worthwhile visit, which DOES give potential owners a more optimistic outlook when anticipating the delivery of their new "Toy"... We also ALL told him of our general dissatisfaction with the attitude shown by a lot of dealers when faced with a list of "snags" and all the staff were genuinely surprised by that.. It takes them 3 days to make the smaller vans and 3.5 days for the bigger ones !!! SO, once PDI'd they sit and wait for the DEALER to request the shipment of the finished vans to their dealership.... The delays in getting the van to the customer may therefore be due to dealers delaying that delivery due to (a) Cashflow... (b) combining the movement of more than one van to keep down costs OR... Make up your own reasons !!! Hope this helps mate,, let me know how you get on..
All the best.... Mitch... PS.. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions..
Mitch :thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Yes Andy, we asked and asked, also some owners had suggestions of ways to improve various "bits", but his answer to those was,, "send them in to the office with some photos"..
Which, in a way, I can understand, as he can't be expected to accept modifications 'mid-tour'.
But in general it IS a very worthwhile visit, which DOES give potential owners a more optimistic outlook when anticipating the delivery of their new "Toy"... We also ALL told him of our general dissatisfaction with the attitude shown by a lot of dealers when faced with a list of "snags" and all the staff were genuinely surprised by that.. It takes them 3 days to make the smaller vans and 3.5 days for the bigger ones !!! SO, once PDI'd they sit and wait for the DEALER to request the shipment of the finished vans to their dealership.... The delays in getting the van to the customer may therefore be due to dealers delaying that delivery due to (a) Cashflow... (b) combining the movement of more than one van to keep down costs OR... Make up your own reasons !!! Hope this helps mate,, let me know how you get on..
All the best.... Mitch... PS.. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions..
Mitch :thumb:

Intresting point about how Autotrail listen to their customers, I was talking to one of Autotrails directors at the motorhome show and mentioned about the step being infront of the rear wheels so that when you arrived at you destination the step was covered in what road crap you had driven through.
Why don`t you have retracting into a box or at least fit a mud flap in front of the wheel

Good point he remarked I`ll look into that he obviously didn`t as 10 years on the step and wiring are still unprotected from the elements.:Doh:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The only factory tour I ever had, was at Sam Smith's brewery

:drink:

:beer:

Join us or log in to post a reply.