Cant Find an Inverter on my M/H (1 Viewer)

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I have been trying to find an inverter in my mh for the past 4 months but it has eluded me.:shout:

I am about to throw myself on my sword.:cry:

Could it possibley be that I dont have an Inverter.:Doh:

My mh is an American Gulfstream Ultra Ltd:RollEyes:

Any help would be appreciated because its like pulling teeth trying to get an answer out of Gulfstream.:Angry:

Thanks Jim:thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Could it possibley be that I dont have an Inverter.:Doh:

Thanks Jim:thumb:

Highly likely that you haven't...............unless its a charge-converter that you are referring to, then you will have :Smile:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Highly likely that you haven't...............unless its a charge-converter that you are referring to, then you will have :Smile:
:Blush:
Cindy, why is it highly likely that I havent and what is a charge converter.

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
If I am correct, an inverter is a device for converting 12 volt DC power to feed 240 (or 120) volts AC. Not a standard fitment on all American motorhomes, some may have the 120v option fitted but a 240v would need to be fitted after the vehicle has been imported, and if you imported the vehicle yourself and haven't fitted one then you won't have one :Smile:

Now a charge-converter is a different animal altogether......its a device fitted as standard to American motorhomes which drops the 120 volt incoming current down to 12 volt to keep your leisure batteries charged when on hook up and to run the 12 volt system such as lighting etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
If I am correct, an inverter is a device for converting 12 volt DC power to feed 240 (or 120) volts AC. Not a standard fitment on all American motorhomes, some may have the 110v option fitted but a 240v would need to be fitted after the vehicle has been imported, and if you imported the vehicle yourself and haven't fitted one then you won't have one :Smile:

Now a charge-converter is a different animal altogether......its a device fitted as standard to American motorhomes which drops the 120 volt incoming current down to 12 volt to keep your leisure batteries charged when on hook up and to run the 12 volt system such as lighting etc.

Well done Lindy, that explains a few things.

Jim: thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Welcome Jim ::bigsmile:

I take it you know where your charge-converter is then :winky:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Welcome Jim ::bigsmile:

I take it you know where your charge-converter is then :winky:

No Lindy I dont. I cant even find an electrical isolation. The vehicle manual (which is rather generic) tells me that I may have an inverter.

My leisuer battery is dead and before I put a new on in I wanted to be sure that I didn't have an inverter turned on.

I put the dead leisure battery down to a lack of care whilst it was in the us dealership and during its being shipped to the uk.

There is a whole array of switches at the back of the leisure battery compartment but I get a head ache when I look at them.

I am gradually trying to get the electrics sorted out by installing a new leisure battery, getting a 110 to 240 Volt conversion for uk appliances and site hook up (currentley working of a yellow box) and then getting some telly in.

I thought I had it sorted.

I visited a company a week last saturday and agreed in principle the whole deal. All that they had to do was give me a call on the Monday to confirm and then send me a written quote.

No call no quote. Unbelievable.

So its back to to the drawing board.

Sorry for all that grief Lindy but it is frustrating when people say that they will do someting (for good money as well) and then dont even bother to make any contact, strange.:shout:

I need a company similar to the one that I went to who can just do it for me:Doh:

Jim

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
You could do a lot worse than to speak to Dave Evans at Dave's Motorhome services in Cannock.

I am sure he will be able to sort it for you and his prices are very fair. Tel 07968 429111. Tell him Linda at Stateside put you in touch.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thanks Lindy

I'm going to give these people until next monday and then its off somewhere else. I will let you know what happens.

Jim::bigsmile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: Hi madbluemad. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sandy's parents used to live on Price Street Birkenhead as did Sandy before we married.
If they still lived there. I would have been only too pleased to pay them a visit and help help get you fixed up.
Hope you get sorted soon. Rv's are meant to be used and out on the road.
Happy Rv'ing. May your travels be many and your troubles be few. :winky:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Jim,

An inverter will often, but not always, be located quite close to the batteries. Probably not in the same compartent due to the possibility of ignition, but maybe an adjacent bay.

I didn't figure out whether you've had the AC electrics on the coach converted to 240V, or if you're using a transformer when you plug into shore power. If converted, then Linda is correct, you'd need a 240V inverter (or stack two 110V inverters). If not converted, and you've looked everywhere, you probably don't have one.

There is a whole array of switches at the back of the leisure battery compartment but I get a head ache when I look at them.

Care to snap a photo and post it?

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
:Smile: Hi madbluemad. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sandy's parents used to live on Price Street Birkenhead as did Sandy before we married.
If they still lived there. I would have been only too pleased to pay them a visit and help help get you fixed up.
Hope you get sorted soon. Rv's are meant to be used and out on the road.
Happy Rv'ing. May your travels be many and your troubles be few. :winky:

Hi John

Yes I know Price St, I was born and raised in that area. Vardon St, off Cleveland St.

Dont get me wrong, for as much as I need to get things soughted out we are having a ball. Its very rare that you will find us at home at the weekend.

I finish work at 4-30 pm Fiday and we are on the road by 5-10 pm.

Its brilliant.

Just a shame that all of the rallies and meets are a bit to far away to make comfortabley on a Friday night.

Jim

:Smile:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Jim,

An inverter will often, but not always, be located quite close to the batteries. Probably not in the same compartent due to the possibility of ignition, but maybe an adjacent bay.

I didn't figure out whether you've had the AC electrics on the coach converted to 240V, or if you're using a transformer when you plug into shore power. If converted, then Linda is correct, you'd need a 240V inverter (or stack two 110V inverters). If not converted, and you've looked everywhere, you probably don't have one.

We have never shipped a C Class yet which has had an inverter fitted.........but I guess there's always a first time :roflmto:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Interesting Linda. I have seen and installed inverters in several kinds of RV and boats. Heck, even the locksmith living on our street has an inverter in his van that he drives around to houses and businesses; It runs his key cutting machine.

Of course, inverters come in various shapes and sizes. I have a couple that plug into a cigarette lighter to run a PC and various battery chargers when I'm the car.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I can believe it Tom, although I would imagine they are a factory option rather than a standard fitment :Smile:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
You could do a lot worse than to speak to Dave Evans at Dave's Motorhome services in Cannock.

I am sure he will be able to sort it for you and his prices are very fair. Tel 07968 429111. Tell him Linda at Stateside put you in touch.

ha ha linda you need a letter from god to get your van in there...i know:Angry:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Jim,

Hi Tom

The electrical system is 110V and I havent yet had it converted.

I have an industrial transformer (yellow box) in line to take the campsite 240V down to 110V. Thats embarrasing in itself because it inevitabley trips the feed

I think that Liinda is correct and that there isnt one.

I was thinking about taking a photo last night, I will do it tonight.

This should all be so simple.

Jim

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
This should all be so simple.

It really is or, as you say, should be. But manufacturers often defy logic, and standardization is virtually non-existent even within the same brand. The boating industry here is even worse than the RV industry in this respect.

Eventually you'll get to know your way around the rig.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
It really is or, as you say, should be. But manufacturers often defy logic, and standardization is virtually non-existent even within the same brand.

:Eeek: That is a fact. I have worked on several different RV's. Some by the same manufacturer. They have ALL been different. Illogical Mr.Spock. :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back