Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tests for diesel cars and heavy vehicles are to be tightened up to ensure vehicles have a critical exhaust filter if one had originally been fitted as standard, Roads Minister Robert Goodwill has announced.

Garages and testing stations will check for a diesel particulate filter as part of the MOT test (or annual test for heavy vehicles) in February 2014.

A diesel particulate filter is a device fitted to a diesel vehicle which filters particulate matter from exhaust gases. It does this by trapping solid particles while letting the gas escape.

Filters must be ‘regenerated’ regularly, which involves burning the soot to gas at a very high temperature, leaving behind a residue. If not carried out properly, regeneration can lead to a build up of soot, which can affect performance. Some diesel vehicle owners have opted to remove the filter, which makes their car illegal for road use.
Dont Do It:Doh:

In February, vehicles will automatically fail the MOT test if a filter had been fitted as standard but is found to be no longer present.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Interesting. I know a few vehicles (none of my own) that have had this done and primarily to stop a clogged DPF from buggering up the engine.

So how are the checks going to be made? The MOT test is non-invasive from my limited knowledge.

Could a 'dummy' DPF be installed for a visual check, or maybe even a temporary real one?...

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You are probably correct on all three observations:thumb:
Forgot to add we have already talked about plugging in our scanners to check for this sort of skulduggery your going to have to come up with a way to make the ecu believe the dummies are real as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Not me. I don't own a mdoern diesel and have no intention of doing so. Large capacity V8's and old-tech diesels are my bag.

The tuning firms will have to come up with the get-around as part of a remap. I'm sure they will otherwise they'll lose a lot in revenue from (what I can gather) these highly popular removals.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Gawd knows what they will make of mine then !!

It is a pre-facelift pug ( 2006 ) on a 2007 plate.. It has NO filter and NO cat.. as per original from the factory !

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Gawd knows what they will make of mine then !!

It is a pre-facelift pug ( 2006 ) on a 2007 plate.. It has NO filter and NO cat.. as per original from the factory !

Simple, It will be seized & crushed, you will be sentenced to 2 years in Cleethorpes :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
cheers pal :Angry:

And this from a V - Thong rider !!!! ( You quite like riding it but know you look a plonker on it !! )

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Tests for diesel cars and heavy vehicles are to be tightened up to ensure vehicles have a critical exhaust filter if one had originally been fitted as standard, Roads Minister Robert Goodwill has announced.

Garages and testing stations will check for a diesel particulate filter as part of the MOT test (or annual test for heavy vehicles) in February 2014.

A diesel particulate filter is a device fitted to a diesel vehicle which filters particulate matter from exhaust gases. It does this by trapping solid particles while letting the gas escape.

Filters must be ‘regenerated’ regularly, which involves burning the soot to gas at a very high temperature, leaving behind a residue. If not carried out properly, regeneration can lead to a build up of soot, which can affect performance. Some diesel vehicle owners have opted to remove the filter, which makes their car illegal for road use.
Dont Do It:Doh:

In February, vehicles will automatically fail the MOT test if a filter had been fitted as standard but is found to be no longer present.

No problem on mine.BUSBY:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back