Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Well Ive gone and done it ...........changed my old trusty windup nokia with a battery that lasts for about 2 weeks.......for a new Smart phone which needs to be charged every other day. The Motorola MOTO G...motorola is now owned by google....so its a google phone...this is good....I think.

Its new and is getting rave reviews by one and all... as a cheap well designed and made smartphone with good specs to rival much more expensive gear.It really looks and feels a much more expensive bit of kit.

Its for sale in Tesco for £99..........most other places are a lot more expensive.
SWMBO had a few vouchers so it actually cost about £45 squid.....not bad.

I got it home and managed to charge it with my playbook charger( it doesnt come with a dedicated charger ) Later after about and hour I managed to turn it on.
The tesco "destruction" leaflet was pathetic....The tesco helpline was friendly but useless....so I decided I would give up and go back to the old nokia.

Next day I decided to have another go........and visited the Motorola site and dowloaded a detailed instruction manual which was well written and went into great detail about all aspects of the phone.

I say phone............After 2 days of trying out all it can do its more like my desktop with a 4 inch screen..............in a word its amazing.

Some of the many things that impress me are ...
I can talk to it.......and as I talk it types......its incredible. I talk fast and it keeps up with me rarely making a mistake. My fat fingers are not going to be a problem with any keyboard here !

You can use your voice for internet searches........texts....emails .

I can watch tv on it.............the speakers are fine but I link it to a blue tooth remote speaker and it is superb.....the screen is incredible.
I listen to the radio .......All this via my home wireless so "no cost"

Loads of games.....checkers and chess being my bag.......but loads of more visual stuff too.
And ths afternoon I played around and found out how to watch films
via an OTG cable and a bit of software........so you can use an external flash stick to make up for a lowish memory.(8 gig) But I have loaded quite a bit of music and I still have 5 gigs left.

There is a translation app that comes with it ...........and you can talking into it...its types up what you are saying....types it translated in your chosen language...then actually speaks it to you ..........brilliant !

It will sinc all your email accounts.......take and store your photographs online...its also a video recorder...and alarm clock, calculator, and its will doubleup as an alternative to tomtom with tom tom software as its got GPS and it works offline.............oh and last of all you can make phone calls :)

The more tech savvy here will say android phones have been around for ages.....true...but not with me. Having made the jump and spent 3 days working out what it can do.....I am gobsmacked what a lovely bit of kit it is.

And all for £99 or less with vouchers... and a free update to kitkat operating system in january.....or that might just be a free bar of choc...not sure.

Have a look at the Motorola MOTO G online..its fantastic value for money.

barry

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Both the 8GB and 16GB models are out of stock at both Tesco Mobile and Tesco Direct according to their websites. You ought to go back and buy a few more and flog em if you can still get em at that price :Smile:

Just noticed that for £99 you don't get the AC charger - just a USB cable

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Both the 8GB and 16GB models are out of stock at both Tesco Mobile and Tesco Direct according to their websites. You ought to go back and buy a few more and flog em if you can still get em at that price :Smile:

Just noticed that for £99 you don't get the AC charger - just a USB cable

At £150 you dont get a charger :)

The usb cable plugs into most of the chargers we already have for phones ...tablets and kindles.......but yes it would have been nice.
I bought mine online a few dats ago and picket it up from the local tesco's next day

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hey beachcaster, loved your post! :thumb:

We were much the same as you with mobile phones - my wife has a 2005-vintage Nokia that cost £20 and I am a bit more advanced with a cheap old blackberry. But this week we bought a Motorola Moto G which, as you say, is amazing for the money. However, I haven't managed to discover half the things you have so far, so your post has really encouraged me to keep working at it.

I was tipped off by my techy son, who bought an unlocked one off Amazon - £135 I think. But he lives two hundred miles away, so I'm hoping he'll help me when we see him at Christmas.

Bought ours from phones4u. They had a reasonable stock but said they'd been selling like hot cakes. We are fairly well in to bed with Virgin mobile, because we have the internet and landline from Virgin Media and get lots of special deals. So the new phone was purchased for £119 + £10 pay-as-you-go top up. As it turned out, the guy in phones4u said all their stock was unlocked and we could have chosen any network provider. Oh and part of the deal was that we also got a free second cover for the phone (price £9.99) - white, instead of the black one it was supplied with.

Amusingly, I've seen folk are flogging the official Motorola white covers on eBay - they seem to go for between £8 & £10.

As I'm keeping my blackberry for now, when our top-up on the new phone expires we plan to get a rolling 30-day contract sim from Virgin for £7 a month.

Thanks again for your interesting and helpful post! :thumb:

Mike

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you for your Post, Eddie and I bought one each a fortnight ago, also from phones4you, got good deals, we got the covers chargers for home and van and a spare Nokia phone thrown in.

At first we found them very strange things but after fiddling around with them, for a couple of weeks we keep finding new bits to play with, the camera is more than adiquate for us, the screen so clear, all the apps are great and we have so much more to learn, but very very pleased.

We did buy a couple of dibber things makes typing so much easier and keeps the screen clean. :thumb:

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
My tesco manual was next to useless..........the phone is so new that they havent developed the online support.

However when I downloaded this

Link Removed

it all became clear.............I stick it on my computer desktop so I can open it up and learn a bit more..........

Now I have discovered you can put films and music on a flash stick drive and buy a OTG cable to connect the stick to the input.....that opens lots of possibilities......and bypasses/negates the small onboard memmory.

Down load 2 apps for this to work....OTG drive explorer pro ( very cheap )....and MX player ( free ).....a OTG cable will cost a couple of quid on ebay...and off you go.

All sorts of problems with other media players.....even VLC didnt work....but MX player plays 90% of films/ tv series without a prob.

Looks like the tom tom uk app might be next....even though its a bit expensive

barry

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Thank you for your Post, Eddie and I bought one each a fortnight ago, also from phones4you, got good deals, we got the covers chargers for home and van and a spare Nokia phone thrown in.

At first we found them very strange things but after fiddling around with them, for a couple of weeks we keep finding new bits to play with, the camera is more than adiquate for us, the screen so clear, all the apps are great and we have so much more to learn, but very very pleased.

We did buy a couple of dibber things makes typing so much easier and keeps the screen clean. :thumb:

Hi carol...............no need to type :)
press the microphone and try talking to it .it types for you :)

You can say......... send text ...and it opens up the right page to text and you can just talk away and it gets ( for me ) about 95% of what I say right. Im still working on punctuation.........I can get it to put a comma in by saying "comma" Im still working on full stops and new paragraphs :) as it just types the words :) Ah ! more to learn !

All your internet searches etc will work by just talking to it.

Now all the younger folk on here will be saying ..." daft old git...of course it will".........but for me its amazing :)

barry

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Well Ive gone and done it ...........changed my old trusty windup nokia with a battery that lasts for about 2 weeks.......for a new Smart phone which needs to be charged every other day. The Motorola MOTO G...motorola is now owned by google....so its a google phone...this is good....I think.

Its new and is getting rave reviews by one and all... as a cheap well designed and made smartphone with good specs to rival much more expensive gear.It really looks and feels a much more expensive bit of kit.

Its for sale in Tesco for £99..........most other places are a lot more expensive.
SWMBO had a few vouchers so it actually cost about £45 squid.....not bad.

I got it home and managed to charge it with my playbook charger( it doesnt come with a dedicated charger ) Later after about and hour I managed to turn it on.
The tesco "destruction" leaflet was pathetic....The tesco helpline was friendly but useless....so I decided I would give up and go back to the old nokia.

Next day I decided to have another go........and visited the Motorola site and dowloaded a detailed instruction manual which was well written and went into great detail about all aspects of the phone.

I say phone............After 2 days of trying out all it can do its more like my desktop with a 4 inch screen..............in a word its amazing.

Some of the many things that impress me are ...
I can talk to it.......and as I talk it types......its incredible. I talk fast and it keeps up with me rarely making a mistake. My fat fingers are not going to be a problem with any keyboard here !

You can use your voice for internet searches........texts....emails .

I can watch tv on it.............the speakers are fine but I link it to a blue tooth remote speaker and it is superb.....the screen is incredible.
I listen to the radio .......All this via my home wireless so "no cost"

Loads of games.....checkers and chess being my bag.......but loads of more visual stuff too.
And ths afternoon I played around and found out how to watch films
via an OTG cable and a bit of software........so you can use an external flash stick to make up for a lowish memory.(8 gig) But I have loaded quite a bit of music and I still have 5 gigs left.

There is a translation app that comes with it ...........and you can talking into it...its types up what you are saying....types it translated in your chosen language...then actually speaks it to you ..........brilliant !

It will sinc all your email accounts.......take and store your photographs online...its also a video recorder...and alarm clock, calculator, and its will doubleup as an alternative to tomtom with tom tom software as its got GPS and it works offline.............oh and last of all you can make phone calls :)

The more tech savvy here will say android phones have been around for ages.....true...but not with me. Having made the jump and spent 3 days working out what it can do.....I am gobsmacked what a lovely bit of kit it is.

And all for £99 or less with vouchers... and a free update to kitkat operating system in january.....or that might just be a free bar of choc...not sure.

Have a look at the Motorola MOTO G online..its fantastic value for money.

barry

If you stood in a street and said to folk what your phone can do 15 years ago, you would now be locked up.
We do take for granted what these gizmos can do:whatthe:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Just ordered one from Tesco Direct - chucked in some club card vouchers which were double their face value and ending up paying just £54 - collect from store Tuesday - well chuffed :thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back