LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the forthcoming changes that - according to the Daily Mail - will commence from next Monday, should be helpful to motorhomers.

The requirement to display a valid tax disc caught us out when we were away in the van a couple of years ago. I'd forgotten the tax was going to expire while we were away. In the event, we cut short our trip in the UK (as it happened) and drove home early with an expired disc so I could get the van re-taxed.

And the existing process can be especially inconvenient if travelling long term abroad, particularly on an extended trip.

With the new arrangements not only does the requirement to display a current disc disappear, but renewal can be automated using a direct debit arrangement. :thumb:

I know some folk don't like or trust DDs, but it will work well for us. Set it up and forget it (as long as we own the vehicle :whatthe: ).

And as an aside, but slightly different topic, I see a SORN will only have to be submitted once instead of each year, if vehicle is to be off the road long term.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ca...d-insurance-certificate-buy-car-tax-axed.html

Mike

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
yes it has mate.Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I like the bit "it will save motorists £8M".

They forgot "It will save the DVLA £80M".

No high security printing, handling, distribution.

But good, it's a system well past it's sellby date.

MHers still have the MOT problem though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Was there not talk of bringing MOT in line with Europe every 2 years ??
That would be another bonus for travellers.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Was there not talk of bringing MOT in line with Europe every 2 years ??
That would be another bonus for travellers.

Yes, I remember this but I think Geo vetoed it on the basis half his business would go.

If this EU is so damned good you should be able to MOT it anywhere.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes, I remember this but I think Geo vetoed it on the basis half his business would go.

If this EU is so damned good you should be able to MOT it anywhere.

You are half right Brian, I did veto it, but on the grounds that my Euro wide operation would benefit immensely,
you will very soon be able to test your M Home in any of my Euro test centers, Im just dotting my Ts and crossing my eyes:thumb:
late 20014 to 20015 is the expected roll out we first have to get rid of this current Computor system and go fully web based then its all systems stop as they say
Geo

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
You are half right Brian, I did veto it, but on the grounds that my Euro wide operation would benefit immensely,
you will very soon be able to test your M Home in any of my Euro test centers, Im just dotting my Ts and crossing my eyes:thumb:
late 20014 to 20015 is the expected roll out we first have to get rid of this current Computor system and go fully web based then its all systems stop as they say
Geo
Got a hell of a wait then:ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Geo

So, will I be able to MOT my wag in S Spain??:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Well if it saves them £8 million it should save us that being as it will be government funded. BUSBY::bigsmile:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Think I'll set a d/d up for the fiat500 tax-£20 p.a. just to be awkward:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the forthcoming changes that - according to the Daily Mail - will commence from next Monday, should be helpful to motorhomers.

The requirement to display a valid tax disc caught us out when we were away in the van a couple of years ago. I'd forgotten the tax was going to expire while we were away. In the event, we cut short our trip in the UK (as it happened) and drove home early with an expired disc so I could get the van re-taxed.

And the existing process can be especially inconvenient if travelling long term abroad, particularly on an extended trip.

With the new arrangements not only does the requirement to display a current disc disappear, but renewal can be automated using a direct debit arrangement. :thumb:

I know some folk don't like or trust DDs, but it will work well for us. Set it up and forget it (as long as we own the vehicle :whatthe: ).

And as an aside, but slightly different topic, I see a SORN will only have to be submitted once instead of each year, if vehicle is to be off the road long term.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ca...d-insurance-certificate-buy-car-tax-axed.html

Mike

I think this needs to be clarified.. Might save someone getting a tug !

The requirement to display a tax disk ends not on Monday but NEXT October ( providing things go as planned )

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I think this needs to be clarified.. Might save someone getting a tug !

The requirement to display a tax disk ends not on Monday but NEXT October ( providing things go as planned )

Interesting, I'd originally picked up it was next October, but the statement in the D/Mail is explicit:

"It comes after Chancellor announced in last week’s Autumn Statement that the traditional paper tax disc - and the need to display one on your windscreen - is being scrapped after nearly a century. And for the first time drivers will be able to pay by direct debit.

The changes, which come into force from next Monday also mean that motorists will only need to tell DVLA once when they declare their vehicle ‘off the road’."

So, I wonder exactly what the situation is? Has the newspaper got its facts correct, or not? Guess we need to seek some clarification. :RollEyes:

Mike

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think if you told a judge that you'd acted on something you read in the Daily Mail, you would have your driving license suspended on the grounds that you weren't safe to be out on your own. ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Took a while but I have been told by a pretty solid source the display thing is supposed to be from next October..

If you read the Daily Maul again you will see the headline says:

First no more discs in the windscreen and now for the first time in 40 years you won't have to hunt down an insurance certificate to buy your car tax either

It then goes in to more detail and as usual it is poorly written and ambiguous in the extreme

Read it again and you will see what I mean

The changes that come in on Monday are the ability to get a tax disk without showing a paper insurance certificate :thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Took a while but I have been told by a pretty solid source the display thing is supposed to be from next October..

It then goes in to more detail and as usual it is poorly written and ambiguous in the extreme

The changes that come in on Monday are the ability to get a tax disk without showing a paper insurance certificate :thumb:

I'm sure one of the reasons the PO had to see documents was that they didn't have access to your MOT and Insurance details due to good old Data Protection reasons.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009

Ah, that would make sense I guess - thanks.

And as you say, the DM do have a habit of writing sloppy and frequently ambiguous copy. :ROFLMAO:

Mike

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I'm sure one of the reasons the PO had to see documents was that they didn't have access to your MOT and Insurance details due to good old Data Protection reasons.

Quite possible.. Equally possible is that the average POC employee would take too long to train up to use the automated system !! :winky: :ROFLMAO: ( and before a POC employee takes umbrage, that is just a joke !!! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back