Freesat - Getting BBC Three & Four (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a manual sat dish on which I can get all the the BBC 1 & 2 channels on but I have not yet been able to find BBC Three or Four. I assumed they simply weren't on Freesat but according to what I have read on the BBC website they should be.

BBC Three and Four HD are apparently coming (tomorrow IIRC) and I have just found BBC Three HD after re-tuning. It is just a test card at the moment but I guess this means I will be able to get these channels soon but I wouldn't be surprised to find the HD won't work in marginal areas or in very bad weather but happy to be proved wrong.

However, this doesn't answer the original question - should I be able to get the non-HD version of these channels on Freesat?

We have an Avtex TV with built in satellite tuner and it is currently searching only for the free to air (FTA) channels.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We seem to be getting them all with our Silvercrest freesat box and we are way down at Zahora in Spain. I must admit we are presently on the Pace 12 volt Sky box and have not switched on today as yet. There are some Sky channels that we do not get but we are sneaking over some huge olive trees and pine trees, looking at the dish I am amazed that we are getting anything at all

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
BBC 3 and BBC 4 (non HD) are freely available on Freesat.

We receive them in both our van on our Mini 12V HD sat receiver and on our TV's at home via Freesat as well as Sky.

They have been there as long as I can remember.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
1. The Avtex is NOT Freesat. but is a free to air receiver. FTA

2. However you should still get these channels but they may be on weird channel numbers....

3. Do a new search on the satellite as this will refresh the channel list... :thumb:

The new HD channels start as of tomorrow, some receivers may do an automatic update and channel download. If you dont have them on in the next 24 hours then do a channel update / search on your TV / Digibox / Sat receiver..

I noticed that my youview had updated earlier but not tried my tv's etc...

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Just retuned the Freesat and BBC 3 and 4 HD have came in as well as Cbeebies HD and CBBC HD and BBC News HD.

They all have the "test" page saying coming soon and the BBC News HD channel says it will be online at 0830 hrs tomoorow Dec 10th... :thumb:

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for your replies. I have re-tuned, which was how I found the BBC Three HD channel, but there is no BBC Three or Four normal channel - or not so I can find. There are several hundred channels but the TV puts them all in alphabetical order by default so all the BBC channels should be more or less in the same place - a little after Babestation - or so I have been told.

Also didn't know FTA wasn't the same as Freesat. More research needed by me I think.

Edit: This http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=792654 seems to sort of answer the question about the difference between FTA and Freesat. If so my TV should get all the Freesat channels I think, but I will rummage around in the advanced menu tomorrow and re-tune it as there was an option to select "FTA" (the default) or "All Channels". The latter I suspect may pick up things like Sky but of course not be able to view them but perhaps it will also find the elusive BBC Four which is the one I'm after as they often have interesting programmes on at nine o'clock.

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for your replies. I have re-tuned, which was how I found the BBC Three HD channel, but there is no BBC Three or Four normal channel - or not so I can find. There are several hundred channels but the TV puts them all in alphabetical order by default so all the BBC channels should be more or less in the same place - a little after Babestation - or so I have been told.

Also didn't know FTA wasn't the same as Freesat. More research needed by me I think.

Freesat is really the UK free to air channels but placed together in it's own on screen ..
http://www.freesat.co.uk/

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think Freesat also gives you the 7 day programme guide - which we don't get on our current set up - or not so we have found yet.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Thanks for your replies. I have re-tuned, which was how I found the BBC Three HD channel, but there is no BBC Three or Four normal channel .

You will not get BBC3 or BBC4 until they start to broadcast at 7pm uk time.
And they will not show in a channel list if you scan for them before they start to transmit.

But as they share the same frequency as CBBC and CBeebies, and simply "take over" from these channels at 7pm, you do actually have them.

If you perform a scan after 7pm, then you will gain BBC3 and BBC4, but lose Cbbc and Cbeebies!

The new HD channels start as of tomorrow, some receivers may do an automatic update and channel download. If you dont have them on in the next 24 hours then do a channel update / search on your TV / Digibox / Sat receiver.
The 5 new BBC HD channels have been testing for a few days /weeks, and have been available for a while. It is just that they will officially launch, and be included on SKy and Freesat channel lists from the 10th Dec (tomorrow)_

Freesat is the brand name for receivers and software that allow access to a number (not all) free to air channels, along with an 7/8 day programme guide.
If the box does not have the Freesat logo, or Freesat menu system, it is not a freesat box.
And so you will only get Freesat on Freesat receivers.
There are no "Freesat channels"...Freesat do not own or operate any channels.
Freesat I simply a "portal" to a selection of free to air channels.
But you can get the free to air channels, many of which are on Freesat, on many other satellite receivers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You will not get BBC3 or BBC4 until they start to broadcast at 7pm uk time.
And they will not show in a channel list if you scan for them before they start to transmit.

But as they share the same frequency as CBBC and CBeebies, and simply "take over" from these channels at 7pm, you do actually have them.

If you perform a scan after 7pm, then you will gain BBC3 and BBC4, but lose Cbbc and Cbeebies!

I knew someone would know the answer! Many thanks.

CBBC/CBeebies I have seen on the channel list - just didn't realise they were squatting, so to speak, on the BBC3/4 channels! A nighttime re-tune is called for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back