Wifi Dongle/Modem Problems help (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Recently purchased a PAYG "3" Wifi dongle/modem and have used it 3 times however on 2 of these occasions the laptop has crashed reporting a serious error, I don't remember exactly what it reported other than it crashed down to a text window reporting that it was starting a memory dump and i had to turn it off and on again,

The laptop works fine as long as the dongle is not connected has anyone any ideas what the problem could be ??

Thanks

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
What Operating system are you running - XP or Vista?
I'd recommend doing all the usual things first, like:

1. Defragment your harddrive. Run a Registry Tool as well if you have one.
2. Make sure your OS is up to date - check via Windows update.
3. Once this is done, reboot the laptop.
4. Uninstall your dongle driver via the Windows Control Panel (add/ remove programs icon.) and reboot again.
5. Check via the internet or 3s website for the newest driver for your dongle.
6.Reinstall the latest driver for the dongle.
7. Check your firewall settings and ensure the dongle software is allowed to access the internet.

Let us know how you get on with perhaps some further details re your software / hardware setup.

Laurie

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Thank you for the suggestions.

I went through them but it still caused the problem so i rang "3" help line on 500 and spoke to someone in the far east India I think ?? who went through the installation process again ? I lost count of how many times i have done that ?? anyway the upshot of it was when we tried on the desktop and it crashed that as well so they have decided that its the modem at fault ??

The problem that I have now is that they won't send out a replacement until I have followed their repair policy which involves sending the modem back for them to check and if they find its faulty they will send out a replacement.

I argued that I have only had it since the 12th June and it has only worked intermittently since then as it has crashed the laptop every time i have disconnected and that it should be replaced under the sale of goods act as it was not fit for purpose when it was supplied, however you try arguing that point with a call center in the far east ?? I leave it to your own imagination.

So i have reluctantly agreed to their repair procedures and hopefully the modem will be picked up tomorrow and they say that it should be back to me by Monday ??

Thanks again for your suggestions

Braunston

What Operating system are you running - XP or Vista?
I'd recommend doing all the usual things first, like:

1. Defragment your harddrive. Run a Registry Tool as well if you have one.
2. Make sure your OS is up to date - check via Windows update.
3. Once this is done, reboot the laptop.
4. Uninstall your dongle driver via the Windows Control Panel (add/ remove programs icon.) and reboot again.
5. Check via the internet or 3s website for the newest driver for your dongle.
6.Reinstall the latest driver for the dongle.
7. Check your firewall settings and ensure the dongle software is allowed to access the internet.

Let us know how you get on with perhaps some further details re your software / hardware setup.

Laurie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
I may be "way off" here, having just invested in a vodaphone dongle....but have found that it matters HOW you disconnect.....
I never (any more!!) remove dongle to disconnect...I go to the icon and do it that way (I have also had serious problem show up!!) :cry:
Just a thought!! Most people here know more than I do!! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Thanks for your input,

I may have mislead you in saying that it happens when i dissconnect, however thats not really what happens it can crash by just plugging the dongle into the USB port or when trying to connect or when actually surfing, albeit that only lasted a few minutes and even then when i dissconnected and right clicked to remove the dongle it crashed before i actually pulled the USB plug out, so its been a real pain

Thanks again for your input its very helpful

I may be "way off" here, having just invested in a vodaphone dongle....but have found that it matters HOW you disconnect.....
I never (any more!!) remove dongle to disconnect...I go to the icon and do it that way (I have also had serious problem show up!!) :cry:
Just a thought!! Most people here know more than I do!! :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,
So i have reluctantly agreed to their repair procedures and hopefully the modem will be picked up tomorrow and they say that it should be back to me by Monday ??

thats not a bad postage time considering how far it is to the punjab.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back