C'mon Happy Autotrail Owners. (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
to try and rebalance the problems experienced by our fellow Funster Knockingonabit with his Autotrail 'issues' and to help other potential purchasers of this marque, how about some positive views on Autotrail?
:thumb:
Come on happy Autotrail owners, get them up here!:Cool:

I'll go first then - I have an 06 Autotail Apache 700SE which we are over the moon with. On horses for courses and budget I think (after several months research and viewings of all different models and makes) I have a van that considering it's purchase price is excellent value. I've had no issues that I consider outside general wear and tear and which I enjoy maintaining and upgrading, which I think is part and parcel of MH ownership and hobby. I think after 36,000 miles she is as close to immaculate as could be wished for and goes great.

I hope this will help Konckingonabit to 'keep the faith', it will be worth it.
Here's Anya.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yep, we have got a Scout and really pleased with it.

A few very minor faults which the dealer corrected without any problems whatsoever.

Its a perfect van for us:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
OK then, I'll go second.
We have had our Cheyenne 840 SE for a couple of months now and are very pleased with it, just got back from the Cheshire funster meet and "she" drove like a dream, not over powered with the 2.8 TD engine powering a machine of 4 tons but VERY economical at around 500 miles to the tank full driven steadily. Plenty of room and made up beds, good sized bathroom and LOTS of storage space, no complaints from me. My grandchildren love it, just look at Jamie's big smile.

Well I thought I was second but other beat me to it.

Attachments

• IMG_2680 RS.jpg
    IMG_2680 RS.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
No direct experience of them myself but a friend of mine has just bought his third Autotrail and is extremely pleased with it, as he was with the others.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Im more than happy with my 05 plate scout, I bought it privatly 4 years ago, I would buy another, I would recomend them for 3 season motorhoming.

Best service Ive had

UK camper Hab work:thumb:

our own Geo Mechanical service:thumb:

again our own manda3000gt valating :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Im more than happy with my 05 plate scout, I bought it privatly 4 years ago, I would buy another, I would recomend them for 3 season motorhoming.

Best service Ive had

UK camper Hab work:thumb:

our own Geo Mechanical service:thumb:

again our own manda3000gt [HI]valating[/HI] :thumb:

Bit posh isnt it?::bigsmile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You are happy because you have older vans ( no offence intended).....
Our previous van was a 2005 Apache 700.. Had it for 5 years and knew it inside out...
Never missed a beat apart from wheel bearing problem. The build quality is a lot sturdier.
I wish I could have that build on the new Fiat chassis.

I make no comment on the new van as this is a "happy" thread...:winky:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You are happy because you have older vans ( no offence intended).....
Our previous van was a 2005 Apache 700.. Had it for 5 years and knew it inside out...
Never missed a beat apart from wheel bearing problem. The build quality is a lot sturdier.
I wish I could have that build on the new Fiat chassis.

I make no comment on the new van as this is a "happy" thread...:winky:

Ours is a 2013 and I am happy.

Then again I have low expectations of happiness::bigsmile:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Ours is a 2010 Autotrail Savannah and I'm happy with it, although we've only had it for 4 weeks. Hubby thinks it's plug ugly outside but is very pleased with it inside.::bigsmile:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Autotrail

We have had our Cheyenne 635 se hi line for about 5 years and it is the best one yet I think we have had , and we have had a few ,VW Camper.. Elddis.. Bedford ambulance..
Rapido,which was nice but just wrong layout I would buy another Autotrail if I had the cash probably the scout :Smile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Chris and Dude..

I was chuffed as anything until the first year hab check, damp around heki and along side walls... 18 months walls around cooker started to blister and the led light melted...

However back to "happy mode".. Rectified by Autotrail at factory and fingers crossed for next weeks 2nd year Hab check..
I love my Autotrail and so far 16,000 miles happy motorhoming....

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Happy with our W reg Cheyenne

After what I've read about late model woes we feel fortunate to have an old one!
Fairly recently had a hab service done by Dave Newell & no issues reported, not even a bit of damp!
Huge U shaped lounge & nice basic 2.8 turbo diesel (not festooned with overly complicated electronic bells & whistles).
WE LOVE IT TO BITS:thumb:.
We even got it at a bargain price, 4 grand less than the current forecourt value
according to MMM:Smile:.
That's enough now, pride comes before a fall.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We had a tracker and now have an apache. Been very pleased with both. Niggling little problems have been sorted with no probs by the dealer. Happy autotrailers.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

::bigsmile: Show off aint I !!! :ROFLMAO:

Not twins as born in 2005 and 2012...!!

Had an offer of a new one Christmas week 2011, took delivery first week of January and headed for Spain and the Marjal 2012 rally withing days.. A dealer offered me £18k on the 2005 van :Doh: I kept it and sold a few months later for just under £25k :thumb::thumb:
Luckily for me I had the space and cash, so turned into a good deal..

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hi All,
to try and rebalance the problems experienced by our fellow Funster Knockingonabit with his Autotrail 'issues' and to help other potential purchasers of this marque, how about some positive views on Autotrail?
Come on happy Autotrail owners, get them up here!:Cool:

I'll go first then - I have an 06 Autotail Apache 700SE which we are over the moon with. On horses for courses and budget I think (after several months research and viewings of all different models and makes) I have a van that considering it's purchase price is excellent value. I've had no issues that I consider outside general wear and tear and which I enjoy maintaining and upgrading, which I think is part and parcel of MH ownership and hobby. I think after 36,000 miles she is as close to immaculate as could be wished for and goes great.

I hope this will help Konckingonabit to 'keep the faith', it will be worth it.
Here's Anya.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Thanks for starting this tread -I too think rightly that the service Knockingonabit is receiving or rather failing to receive from Catterick Caravans is diabolical. Clearly they are not all that prudent in failing to recognise the considerable readership of this and possibly other forums and the rapidly spreading almost non treatable rash that bad news about their company swiftly becomes.(no pun intended)
However your thread provides balance to those like ourselves who are looking to the experience of others to understand what is a reasonable value for money MH before we make this not inconsiderable purchase
Kind regards
Ian:thumb:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since the X250 has come out there has been numerous build quality issues. I have owned three. The first was a Merc 634 03 reg which apart from a cracked shower tray was perfect. We then bought a brand new Fiat 3ltr Tracker 09 reg which suffered with water ingression from day one until we traded it in nearly 3 years later. We then bought a brand new Apache 634 11 reg which suffered with water ingress from NUMEROUS areas and went back to the factory so many times I lost count, in fact the mileage alone just to get it sorted out was over 6000. I have said all along that the older models were very well built.I don't know what production line disciplines they have in place. We no longer have an Auto-Trail and have got my sanity back.

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a 13 plate Apache 634, this is our first MH.We had caravans 20+ years, it took us about 18 months to find the right make & model we went from 6berths twin dinette to a two berth. the only thing we didnt wount was a fixed bed . We love our Apache and up to now no issues with it.:thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I am very pleased that Trikeman started this thread and that there appears to be many happy owners of older Autotrail versions as well as new versions, although the newer ones seem reluctant to say they haven't had problems. ::bigsmile:

It seems that the dealer in my case is getting the blame for not fixing it, while I am of the opinion that it should have been built right in the first place, like the older ones, but I agree that it is the dealers responsibility to correct faults.

Good luck to all of the owners and I am hopeful, but not very, that one day I may be as happy as you. I have to be because I can't afford to change it now. :winky:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
We have a 13 plate Apache 634, this is our first MH.We had caravans 20+ years, it took us about 18 months to find the right make & model we went from 6berths twin dinette to a two berth. the only thing we didnt wount was a fixed bed . We love our Apache and up to now no issues with it.:thumb:
Keep your eye on the rear of both rear wheel arches and both rear locker doors.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Door hinges, mmmm - since previously owning a 22yr old Swift Kon-Tiki I will let you into my secret for keeping all external hinges working as they should.

Due to the hinge post being steel and the majority of the female parts of the hinge, the parts that turn on the post (ahem) being of aluminium, there is an incompatibility once water and road salt gets in and corrosion takes place.

I always drill a tiny hole on the inside of the female part through to the post, then squirt in my secret solution (GT85 & engine oil) whilst working the hinge - never have any problems with the hinges then. If you drill the holes on the inside (as when opened) then the hole is not directly open to the elements, but when I've finished I always put a small blob of grease on the hole to seal. Has always worked for me and no doubt it will extend the life of the hinges and the area directly next to the hinges.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread