Advice please for Television reception (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi everyone.

I need some advice please.

My van has an old Status 315 antenna and it is rubbish. So I bought a digital antenna Moonraker DVT 1000 although it was recommended it still won't pick up a decent signal in most places, so I have decided to get a digital antenna and raise it high on a mast at the back of the van.
I thought I could take the antenna and mast off and store them in the back of the van till needed.
I've seen a number of vans with high masts and antennas at the top, there is even one locally with a flagpole and union jack waving high in the air.

Looking for clamps one of the sellers has suggested not drilling holes in the van but attach the clamps with Sikaflex as this would be strong enough to hold the mast and antenna, but I am very skeptical that it will, and I have images of the mast coming down with antenna and big chunks of the bodywork of the van with it. I know sikaflex is strong but is it really that strong.

Has anyone had any experience of attaching accessories to the outside of their van without drilling and just using sikaflex and can anyone suggest a good antenna to get.

Thanks in advance
Gary

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As your n Eastbourne why not call in during the week with your van and have a chat to Ian or Glenn in my workshop.

They will be able to advise you and supply something suitable. We are one the A21 not far from Battle

Peter

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Any fixings are only as strong as the substrate they are attached to, sticking a bracket to the cladding of your van will result in the cladding being torn away, not recommended.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
If you are really sure that your co ax connectors are spot on and your aerial is still no good. I would suggest a satellite system before going down the route of masts, especially attaching them to your vehicle !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your directional aerial should pick up local tv signals with no problem but two questions.....

1) are you accurately pointing the aerial at the local mast ?
one or two degrees out of alignment and you wont get a signal depending how far away the mast is.

2) are you turning the aerial to the correct polarity ?
some transmitters are vertical polarity and some horizontal.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just googled your aerial......

you went from one load of rubbish to another.

it appears to be omni directional and will never get a decent picture unless you have line of sight to the local transmitter.

cut your losses and buy something like a 'through the roof' Status 550/560 aerial.

http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/status-antennas/

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We have the Satus flying saucer aerial (315?) as well as a sat dish.
Reception using the status depends largely on where you are.
I get full reception anywhere on the Lincolnshire coast, at Misterton and several other places.
In my garden in Lincs (bottom of a hill, surrounded by tress) reception with Status isn't good, need the dish.
Some places it's rubbish, depends on the location, line of sight, etc., as with many other aerials.
I wouldn't describe the thing as useless, only fit for Frisbees and so on, it depends where you are.
Some places we need the dish, others we use the Status.
It's similar to a computer...when it's working it's great, when it's not it's a pain in the arse.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Flying sourcer type aerial have major disadvantage that they receive signals from all directions; yes DISADVANTAGE!

Not only do they pick-up the intended signal but signals from all directions including reflections (the old 'ghosting' effect that corrupts the new digital signal), interference and noise.

The directional aerial is a bit of a pain to set-up however the final result will always be a stronger more reliable signal. Clue is to look at the direction others around have used and just do the same.

Stratus 550/560 are quick and easy, use one myself however they're pricy and require yet another hole in the roof. If you're sold on the mast idea then just go for a normal domestic TV aerial.

Link Removed

Avoid amplifiers/boosters if you can.

Cheers Ian.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
cut your losses and buy something like a 'through the roof' Status 550/560 aerial.

http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/status-antennas/

What the man said - take his advice.

It might cost more but in the end - proper job - do all the setting up warm and dry inside.

We have one of these, very similar to Status 550 but cheaper and it does what it says on the tin.

Link Removed

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I bought a status digital directional Ariel off eBay (the one with the metal fins around the edges) second hand for £5,teamed that up with a telescopic roller handle from B&Q around a tenner and never fail to get a signal.
The kit stays in the side locker and when on site I fix it to the bike rack with cable ties,works a treat!

Vlad

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Clue is to look at the direction others around have used and just do the same.

in general, yes.

but not always.
i've been some places where m/h aerials have pointed all directions.
maybe the viewers gave up, maybe they dont know it has to point one way or maybe they found a second/third/fourth signal from a far distant galaxy...who knows.

by far the most reliable indicator are house aerials...professionally fitted, they will all point to the correct transmitter and be in the correct polarity plane..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Omni directional ariels are almost useless while the directional ones are great :thumb: but you have to point them in the right direction :winky: I nearly always look at surounding houses to see where they point and if they are flat or upright :thumb: As already said a normal 10 quid house ariel on a pole will work fine if you don't want to pay the £85 to £130 ish jobby--- and yes Sikaflex will hold clips on the van side :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry
edit no such thing as a digital ariel --they all work the same

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Purely for clarification but there is absolutely NO SUCH ANIMAL as a DIGITAL AERIAL! Its an aerial and it picks up radio signals simple as that. The fact that the signal carries data in a digital format is irrelevant, the same aerial will work for digital or analogue on the same frequencies. "Digital" aerials are simply a marketing term.

D.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi everyone.

I need some advice please.

My van has an old Status 315 antenna and it is rubbish. So I bought a digital antenna Moonraker DVT 1000 although it was recommended it still won't pick up a decent signal in most places, so I have decided to get a digital antenna and raise it high on a mast at the back of the van.
I thought I could take the antenna and mast off and store them in the back of the van till needed.
I've seen a number of vans with high masts and antennas at the top, there is even one locally with a flagpole and union jack waving high in the air.

Looking for clamps one of the sellers has suggested not drilling holes in the van but attach the clamps with Sikaflex as this would be strong enough to hold the mast and antenna, but I am very skeptical that it will, and I have images of the mast coming down with antenna and big chunks of the bodywork of the van with it. I know sikaflex is strong but is it really that strong.

Has anyone had any experience of attaching accessories to the outside of their van without drilling and just using sikaflex and can anyone suggest a good antenna to get.

Thanks in advance
Gary

NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR AERIAL but many MH's we have seen touring aboard just clamp their Sat dish or TV aerial directly to their Bike racks using standard house mast aerial clamps...that is of course if you have a fitted bike rack :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back