filling gas tanks (bottles) with autogas (1 Viewer)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
Can I fill my US gas bottles with autogas?? (while in place)
If so, what fittings do I need?
The bottles are clamped into place and it looks a right PITA to get them out, plus quite a lift at 30lbs each. There can't be many places to fill them and I suppose the next option would be to change to British bottles?
Any advice please?????
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi again!!
I forgot to say that now we live in the 5th wheel we had to have a "holiday home"!!!
so we now have a truck camper (demountable) for the Dodge, and are taking it to our next Land Rover show.
Nigel & Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi again!!
I forgot to say that now we live in the 5th wheel we had to have a "holiday home"!!!
so we now have a truck camper (demountable) for the Dodge, and are taking it to our next Land Rover show.
Nigel & Pamala

:Eeek: how wonderful to have a 5th wheel and a demountable ! We had a demountable here on site once and it was cracking, never had a fifth wheel or seen one live so to speak but live in hopes. :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
gas bottles can be refilled all you need is the correct adapter do you know if a standard propane connector fits? or what thread the bottle connection is?

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
does the fitting have to go direct onto bottle? or can it be t'd into the pipeline (between bottle and regulator/auto switch over maybe)? How would it fill both bottles?
Nigel

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi IF ONE of these fits -2 ltr gas = 1 kg
Link Removed
terry

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi IF ONE of these fits -2 ltr gas = 1 kg
Link Removed
terry

I think these could be b****y dangerous. For a start the 'instructions' don't point out that you must make sure the bottle is empty before refilling, otherwise it could be over 80%. It also means a gas bottle wont be tested during it's life if it's constantly refilled without going back to the issued company.

I hope I am not on the forecourt when some idiot tries to use it for the first time. :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Gaslow acieve this automatically and the RV tanks have a bleed valve so you can check the 80% level. We use LPG for domestic heating and once again this large tank has a bleed valve to ensure it is not overfilled. :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I think these could be b****y dangerous. For a start the 'instructions' don't point out that you must make sure the bottle is empty before refilling, otherwise it could be over 80%. It also means a gas bottle wont be tested during it's life if it's constantly refilled without going back to the issued company.

I hope I am not on the forecourt when some idiot tries to use it for the first time. :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Gaslow acieve this automatically and the RV tanks have a bleed valve so you can check the 80% level. We use LPG for domestic heating and once again this large tank has a bleed valve to ensure it is not overfilled. :thumb:

Hi keith on the contrary the instructions I received were very specific and once aware of the situation refilling is no different or more dangerous than any LPG refill. Don't rubbish an excellent product that is well made and documented just because you are unsure of it. Whilst it is unwise to overfill and not to be recomended, the bottles have a huge safety factor built into them that would protect you in even in the event of an over fill. The max pressure/compression of gas is controlled by the delivery regulator as well. Safety factors all built in, otherwise health and safety would have banned the sale of them. I have used empty propane cylanders as compressed air receivers at pressures exceesing 150psi, gas is appox 32psi huge safety margin. Read the instructions and no problem. By the way all calculations are done for you and the 80% fill rate is engraved for many different bottle sizes on the adapter. If you feel it is unsafe then maybe you should not be using gas at all.Don't assume people are idiots, I actually find that offencive.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
If you feel it is unsafe then maybe you should not be using gas at all.Don't assume people are idiots, I actually find that offencive.

:Cool: I agree. Some question the method used here whenever I post it:-

c.jpg

d.jpg

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: At last some sensible people who at last agree it is no more dangerous than filling a car :ROFLMAO: and is probably the most cost effective bit of kit you will ever buy :thumb::thumb:
terry

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Hi keith on the contrary the instructions I received were very specific and once aware of the situation refilling is no different or more dangerous than any LPG refill. Don't rubbish an excellent product that is well made and documented just because you are unsure of it. Whilst it is unwise to overfill and not to be recomended, the bottles have a huge safety factor built into them that would protect you in even in the event of an over fill. The max pressure/compression of gas is controlled by the delivery regulator as well. Safety factors all built in, otherwise health and safety would have banned the sale of them. I have used empty propane cylanders as compressed air receivers at pressures exceesing 150psi, gas is appox 32psi huge safety margin. Read the instructions and no problem. By the way all calculations are done for you and the 80% fill rate is engraved for many different bottle sizes on the adapter. If you feel it is unsafe then maybe you should not be using gas at all.Don't assume people are idiots, I actually find that offencive.

Hi wildman,
In case your views lead someone to have an accident and possibly leaving yourself open to lawsuit and even manslaughter charges you should bear in mind that the 80% fill "rule" is just that and not merely "unwise and not recomended" to disreguard. Hence the zeal with which this is checked at the Channel tunnel
The reason being is that the figure is not based on the gas pressure, but on the pressure created by liquid expansion due to temperature variation. If the cylinder were filled and the liquid expanded, permenant strain of the cylinder material could occur. Successive refils to full capacity could increase this straining to the point of total failure.
I agree entirly that the replenishment of cylinders is perfectly OK if done correctly, but using the adaptor mentioned leaves too many opportunities for errors to occur.
I hope you accept this in the spirit it is intended as I have been responsible for much pressure testing and am more aware than most of the consequencies of failure.
Regards
Wilbury

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi wildman,
In case your views lead someone to have an accident and possibly leaving yourself open to lawsuit and even manslaughter charges you should bear in mind that the 80% fill "rule" is just that and not merely "unwise and not recomended" to disreguard. Hence the zeal with which this is checked at the Channel tunnel
The reason being is that the figure is not based on the gas pressure, but on the pressure created by liquid expansion due to temperature variation. If the cylinder were filled and the liquid expanded, permenant strain of the cylinder material could occur. Successive refils to full capacity could increase this straining to the point of total failure.
I agree entirly that the replenishment of cylinders is perfectly OK if done correctly, but using the adaptor mentioned leaves too many opportunities for errors to occur.
I hope you accept this in the spirit it is intended as I have been responsible for much pressure testing and am more aware than most of the consequencies of failure.
Regards
Wilbury
All noted and in no way was I advocating over filling, just pointing out that all vessels are pressure tested to at least double capacity to provide that safety margin.
Provided you start with an empty bottle and fill only to 80% or less as recommended it is perfectly safe. As I said read the instructions. I have no connection with the manufacturer or any other trade affiliations. Gas can be dangerous, so can petrol or any inflamable substance but providing the instructions are followed one is as safe as can be.Any pressure vessel can be hazardous if not treated with respect and care. A little understanding and a lot of care goes a long way. We cannot all afford or wish to pay even if we could the high price of a gaslow system (wonderful though it is)when a low cost alternative is available. I'd rather put the difference in the fuel tank.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
May I add to this and say even Calor fill bottles anywhere in between 80% & 87%- read there web page
:ROFLMAO:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back