Non UK domiciled (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I read this on another thread and it's got me worried.
Once non UK domiciled for more than 6 months you will lose all rights to Healthcare in the UK etc. You will also find it impossible to insure your vehicle

In a couple of years we intend to retire early. Plan is Spring/summer in our UK house. Summer/ Autumn in our French house. Winter in Lanzarote.

Will we be classed as non UK domiciled as we will be abroad 8 months of year?

Do we have anything to worry about ?

Cheers

Yorick

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I read this on another thread and it's got me worried.

In a couple of years we intend to retire early. Plan is Spring/summer in our UK house. Summer/ Autumn in our French house. Winter in Lanzarote.

Will we be classed as non UK domiciled as we will be abroad 8 months of year?

Do we have anything to worry about ?

Cheers

Yorick

Surely, no matter how long you've been away, as a Brit as soon as you are back in the UK you are entitled.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Surely, no matter how long you've been away, as a Brit as soon as you are back in the UK you are entitled.

It's a bit complicated. Me dad lives in Lanzarote and he loses his benefits here.

What I quoted wasBroken Link Removed

I am a bit confused as how will anybody know I am out of the country ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Yes, you will be a non UK resident. You'll receive a letter saying you're not entitled to NHS treatment but saying that in an emergency you won't be refused. I fell out of a motorhome at the Shrewsbury show and was treated at A&E.

You can still pay into National Insurance if you live outside the UK. An EHIC card will entitle you to same state health treatment as a resident in European country. I found in France I could go to any GP, pay about €23 for consultation, difference was I didn't get €21 refunded on Carte Vitelle. If you are of state pension age, you might be entitled to a Carte Vitelle. Sargozy changed the rules just after I moved to France so I wasn't entitled to one. Early retires don't qualify, I fear.

As long as you have a French address you can insure your vehicle. If it still has UK plates you will be issued with a new green sticker for the windscreen every month until its on French plates. Google Bruno Sellier in Cognac. They deal with all of France, everyone speaks perfect English and you can even get your policy in English. Recommend them highly.

As you still have a UK property I'd stick with UK insurance with all of Europe cover and keep your UK plates. Yes, I know you're not supposed to but I know people who've lived in France 10 years still driving on UK plates.

If you consider you are resident in France you also have to register with the local tax office. Good luck with that........I'm still recovering from the near breakdown they caused me.......

Once you return to UK you have to live here 12 months before you can re register in the NHS.

Your situation is complex as you'll still be paying council tax on your UK home, so I wouldn't rush into declaring anything official.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
P.S officialdom knows you are out of the country as soon as you tell the. Either by having official mail ( eg pension letters) sent to a French address, or by filling in the form to declare your own tax if you let out a UK property.

And NHS rules state returning to UK you have to be here 12 months before claiming treatment ( used to be 6 months)

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
P.S officialdom knows you are out of the country as soon as you tell the. Either by having official mail ( eg pension letters) sent to a French address, or by filling in the form to declare your own tax if you let out a UK property.

And NHS rules state returning to UK you have to be here 12 months before claiming treatment ( used to be 6 months)

Bollox :cry:

Plan was that I will be 55 and the missus 50.

Not really retiring, just spending 8 months in warmer places. And only work part of the 4 months we will be in UK.

Can't it be classed as an extended holiday?

When I was 25, I went backpacking for 12 months and lost no benefits on return.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Been spending 10 months of the year in different EU countries for the last five years. We still have a UK address ,driving licence,bank accounts, still pay UK tax & insurance. We do return for a week at Christmas & Easter and 2 months in the summer, only problem is getting the doc's to issue more than two months prescriptions....ours won't. No problems otherwise as far as I can see if you keep everything official based in the UK.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Hmm, I am getting opposing opinions here :Sad:

Can I choose which is best ? ::bigsmile:

Deleted User
Your confusion may be because the title of your thread is 'Non UK Domiciled' which is a totally different thing to what I am doing and what,I think, you are proposing.
I am still UK domiciled.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Your confusion may be because the title of your thread is 'Non UK Domiciled' which is a totally different thing to what I am doing and what,I think, you are proposing.
I am still UK domiciled.

Oops, I was unsure really.

So as long as I have house here and properly based here, I will be OK ?

Deleted User
I am not an expert and can only speak from my experience but we have had no problems. We don't have foreign property but as far as I can see as long as you stay officially a UK taxpayer etc I cannot see any problems unless of course they change the rules.
Then there is always Easyjet/Ryanair etc for a quick visit.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as you will have a home here and pay tax and council tax, you wont be non uk domeciled, just in another eu state for part of the year and on holiday for the rest

the system has a tight hold on you these days and wont like letting go. as in the other thread its very difficult to genuinely drop off the radar. big brother IS watching you..... and youve been a very naughty boy! (In a monty python voice of course):ROFLMAO:

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
I think that it's once you go over 3 months away, you become non-resident in terms of entitlements.

If you can break up your time in other places to under 3 months at a time, you would still be entitled to NHS benefits etc. and viewed as the UK still being your main residence.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back