Fiat Ducato 2.8idTD 1999 screeching noise (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
Hi..... sat here in Peniscola thawing out after a two month trip round France and Italy.
After start up when the engine is cold I get a screeching noise from the engine which sometimes disappears straight away or disappears when I change gear. Generally it is not for long but can be rather disturbing for the neighbours when departing from the campsites. On one occassion entering the toll whilst the engine was hot it did the same, screeched then stopped after changing gears which I assume has something to do with the rpm of the engine. I have had the alternator belt tightened. Could it be the water pump, I seem to remember vaugely one of my old Volvo's had the same problem. If it is the water pump is there any such product as an additive you put in the cooling water to lubricate the seals ? juts a thought.
The engine has 187,000 Km on the clock.
atb:Smile:

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi..... sat here in Peniscola thawing out after a two month trip round France and Italy.
After start up when the engine is cold I get a screeching noise from the engine which sometimes disappears straight away or disappears when I change gear. Generally it is not for long but can be rather disturbing for the neighbours when departing from the campsites. On one occassion entering the toll whilst the engine was hot it did the same, screeched then stopped after changing gears which I assume has something to do with the rpm of the engine. I have had the alternator belt tightened. Could it be the water pump, I seem to remember vaugely one of my old Volvo's had the same problem. If it is the water pump is there any such product as an additive you put in the cooling water to lubricate the seals ? juts a thought.

How old is the alternator drive belt?

If it's a fair age - or even if it's been run in a slack condition for a while - it could be polished, which will cause slip - particularly when cold, or revving to pull away (when hot).

Might be worthwhile having it changed, or at least checked by a decent mechanic :thumb:.

Daedalus

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Did tightening the belt make any difference at all?
Does it happen as you are letting out the clutch or will it do it before selecting a gear?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back