3 (Three) mifi unlocking for free from 3 (1 Viewer)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Kath (Champers) kindly offered help along with others to unlock our 3 mifi, but we could not do it.

So been me and pokeing around as Ed calls it :RollEyes: I found out at the moment 3 are unlocking phones and mifi for free.

All you need to do is take the back off your mifi get all the information

1. your mobile number
2 the IME number which starts with 86 or 35
3 the serial Number

with that log on to www.three.co.uk/unlock

there is also a helpful telephone number 0843 373 0500

It is really easy and straightforward, 3 send you a acknowledgement and you get the unlocking code within 7 days, if you get stuck they said just ring up.

I asked twice if there is a charge and was told no it is a free service been offered at the moment.

So now could be a good time to get your mifi unlocked.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
this will only work if your phone/mifi is locked to 3 network. other operators charge or get a code off ebay for £1 or so

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
this will only work if your phone/mifi is locked to 3 network. other operators charge or get a code off ebay for £1 or so

Sorry yes I was talking specifically about the Three network.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
So you unlock it and then do what ? Does someone offer more than the 15gb a month for £15 I pay 3 ??

Yes David they do - talk to Mel (Minx) she pays half of what we pay for 15Gb - something to do with loyalty. I will bending Sabu's ear when my contract is up in April :ROFLMAO:

Plus 3 will be rolling out their 4G network come the New Year

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
So you unlock it and then do what ? Does someone offer more than the 15gb a month for £15 I pay 3 ??

put a french or spanish sim in when over there. once unlocked you can also change default settings that get locked by your provider

in the uk its hard to beat 3 for 3g and soon 4g mobile broadband:thumb:

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Bl#*dy typical. Just paid to unlock ours last week.
Three quoted about £15 to unlock. Paid £10 at local phone shop/market stall.
Oh well, done now. Hopefully will save at least that on our travels!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Now why would a telco give something away ?
They'll obviously have some sort of motive but if we can get ahead temporarily why not?

I'm unlocking the handset I have because it is likely to fetch a few quid extra on eBay when I sell it in a few weeks. If I can do that for now I'm not complaining ::bigsmile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I keep getting:

"We're sorry, our online unlock form is currently unavailable.
If you would like to unlock your Three device, you can still call our contact centre on 333 from your Three phone, or 0843 373 3333* from any other phone."

This occurred last night and today.:cry:

I'll give them a ring later.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I keep getting:

"We're sorry, our online unlock form is currently unavailable.
If you would like to unlock your Three device, you can still call our contact centre on 333 from your Three phone, or 0843 373 3333* from any other phone."

This occurred last night and today.:cry:

I'll give them a ring later.

I rang them last night. Now awaiting a contact with the unlock code within 7 days.

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
You unlock it so when you are in Europe or Morocco then you can get a local SIM card that will cost a lot less.
The mifi is new to me...sounds good....does it just plug in to a laptop USB port?
Where do you find the SIM cards in France? What sort of speeds/packages can a local card give you? Do you have to fill in loads of forms to get the card?
thanks

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The mifi is new to me...sounds good....does it just plug in to a laptop USB port?
Where do you find the SIM cards in France? What sort of speeds/packages can a local card give you? Do you have to fill in loads of forms to get the card?
thanks

Help can one of my more techy minded friends please explain better than I Can,

GJH that is the same as me but I have, but they assure me it will be done and is free.:Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you can't wait it only costs 99p for a code off eBay! :RollEyes:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
thanks

Mifi is a device which sets up a local wifi network which allows connection of several devices. It doesn't have to be plugged into a USB port so can be used by tablets as well as laptops.

No idea about SIM cards in France.

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Mifi is a device which sets up a local wifi network which allows connection of several devices. It doesn't have to be plugged into a USB port so can be used by tablets as well as laptops.

No idea about SIM cards in France.

Thanks.
So its like my iboost from motorhome wifi, which picks up wifi and rebroadcasts on a private network, for several devices. Difference is that iboost (which is very good) won't pick up a phone signal.
May get a mifi to complement the iboost....for areas where no wifi signal.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks.
So its like my iboost from motorhome wifi, which picks up wifi and rebroadcasts on a private network, for several devices. Difference is that iboost (which is very good) won't pick up a phone signal.
May get a mifi to complement the iboost....for areas where no wifi signal.
No not the same. The Iboost amplifies available Wifi networks. a Mifi takes a sim card that you pay for and acts as an independant, private hotspot for up to 5 devices providing you give them the code to use it. you can topup the data allowance online. So basically it is like a dongle that is neither connected to the computer/tablet or whateever and not confined to one user at a time.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
:Smile:
No not the same. The Iboost amplifies available Wifi networks. a Mifi takes a sim card that you pay for and acts as an independant, private hotspot for up to 5 devices providing you give them the code to use it. you can topup the data allowance online. So basically it is like a dongle that is neither connected to the computer/tablet or whateever and not confined to one user at a time.

Thanks, but that's I'd said...they are both devices which set up a private wifi network to provide broadband for multiple devices, and which don't need a USB socket, so work with iPads and other tablets.

The difference is that the iboost works from an existing wifi signal, whilst the mifi needs a sim so as to pick up a phone signal.

If, like us, you need a regular broadband fix it seems logical to use both....the advantage of the iboost is that on many occasions you can get free broadband, either by picking up a campsite wifi or by piggybacking (legally) on the millions of homes throughout Europe which have FON (BT in the UK) broadband.

I am interested in the best way to source the sim for a mifi...the Europa Sim gives you 500 MB of data per day for 3 euros, and then additional data at a much slower rate.

Are there better deals out there?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Be very careful when you receive the unlock code from Three.

I received the code today but it has turned out that they sent me the wrong one. The handset (luckily an old one that isn't critical) is now permanently locked to Three after two attempts to enter the code (even though it should not lock until after four attempts).

The call centre staff I spoke to said there is nothing that can be done so I have sent yet another e-mail to the Three CEO (third one in just over 3 months complaining about errors in their systems).

If you enter an unlock code and get the message "Wrong Code" contact the Three call centre straight away because otherwise you may end up the same as I have.

One thing is for sure, I shall not be buying another locked handset from Three in future.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
thanks

I have an unlocked SIM and when I was in Lyon I wanted access and then they insisted that you buy a SFR dongle, I was on PAYG.
Since then I have added more credit to it, I think it was 10euro for 10 days or something, coverage was great, Ksebruce and others will be able to tell you more. I just went into a SFR shop, pay them give them my mifi phone number they did the telephone call, prsee 1,2 114,,, etc etc

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
:winky:be carefull with unlocking on the web (jail break) it is a bit hit and miss and can permantly damage your devise . :cry: stan:Cool: used yogi sim in spain last year 20e a month unlimited broadband:winky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Had my unlocking code and a special link thing from 3 and my 3 is successfully unlocked now.

Last edited:

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Followed the 3 site and got the form filled in now wait and see if i'm lucky.Thanks Carol for the info :thumb:

Nigel

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Be very careful when you receive the unlock code from Three.

I received the code today but it has turned out that they sent me the wrong one. The handset (luckily an old one that isn't critical) is now permanently locked to Three after two attempts to enter the code (even though it should not lock until after four attempts).

The call centre staff I spoke to said there is nothing that can be done so I have sent yet another e-mail to the Three CEO (third one in just over 3 months complaining about errors in their systems).

If you enter an unlock code and get the message "Wrong Code" contact the Three call centre straight away because otherwise you may end up the same as I have.

One thing is for sure, I shall not be buying another locked handset from Three in future.

Three are sending me a prepaid envelope to send the handset to them for manual unlocking. They haven't admitted what they did wrong yet but it looks like I shall get the right result in the end.

I still won't buy anther locked handset from Three (or anyone else) though ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back