Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We were on Calais aire this time last week, parked between two Brit vans.
About 7pm we decided to warm up a bit and turned on the Eberspacher heater. A few minutes later a bloke in the van on our left bangs on the van wall, twice, to get our attention. We opened the curtain and he asks how long we were going to run the heater.
Now, is that rude of him or am I being paranoid?
In my opinion, if you want peace and quiet don't stay on Calais aire!:ROFLMAO:
We turned it off at 8.30pm. It's the first time anyone has ever complained about our 'behavior':cry:
Mike and Annie:Cool::Smile:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Probably just jealous knowing how warm you would have been , if the noise from the heater was worrying him that much then obviously he was parked to close, first thing I do on any site / pitch with especially one with no hookup is firstly get the Eberspacher on I have the D5 in mine, and then stand the generator out in full view, not many will park too close ,a nice bonus. Apart from that how many have noisy dogs or kids running around screaming their heads off, would the same person have a go at them or are they one of these types.If they want complete silence for their stay then surely an aire is not really where they want to be, or indeed on a pitch next to us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
About 7pm we decided to warm up a bit and turned on the Eberspacher heater. A few minutes later a bloke in the van on our left bangs on the van wall, twice, to get our attention. We opened the curtain and he asks how long we were going to run the heater.
We turned it off at 8.30pm. It's the first time anyone has ever complained about our 'behavior':cry:

Must admit it is much noisier than the usual heating . We could hear clearly the heating running in a van two pitches away on a caravan club site last visit.

Didn't say anything but must admit I did hope that they not run it all night which they didn't :Smile:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Who's banging on my van

The miserable sob should have more things on his mind than an internal heater in another van at that time of night. Like a glass of wine or two. Did you get his number? Then we can get the boys onto him!:Angry:

damar

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
We run one of these and yes they are a bit noisy when you first put them on but once temperature is reached they quieten down. We are always try to be considerate to other people, but if it is cold we put the heating on, the people who use generators ( and say they are quite ) don't seem to bother. No you are not being paranoid, just tell him to turn his radio or tv sound up. :thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Thinking back to my days as an HGV driver.
Is it the noise that jacked your neighbour off?
If these heaters aren't set up right they can give off quite a smelly exhaust.
Which way did the exhaust point?

Or

Was he just a moaning GIT?

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
All you need to do is chuck a few crumbs or some chips just outside the door and the noise of the marauding gulls in Calais would drown out any other noise:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
As already mentioned if you are really worried about the "noise " from an Eberspacher / Webasto / Mikuni heaters you can get silencers for the exhaust but most of the noise is actually caused by the combustion air intake but you can also get a muffler for these, in fact most Mikuni's come with one in the kit.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Could it be your fuel pump clicking?

They are quite loud especially when the rubber mount disintegrates allowing it to drop onto something solid like the chassis. Been meaning to fix mine all summer!

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
should have got everest to give him a quote for double glazing good job he wasn't parked next to us with a phsyco dog bounding around the motorhome after his tennis ball.:ROFLMAO:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Must admit it is much noisier than the usual heating . We could hear clearly the heating running in a van two pitches away on a caravan club site last visit.

Didn't say anything but must admit I did hope that they not run it all night which they didn't :Smile:

I have to admit, my Webasto is quite noisy and I try not to run it late at night. It's not usual for me to be walking around the 'van checking the noise level out!

Once the 'van is nice and warm it does quieten down, but then after a while it kicks back in again....rumble, rumble, clunk.....clunk....clunk :Blush:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Silence

I doubt anyone on an aire should expect complete silence, I certainly don't, but I do expect others to show a bit of consideration. I don't think anyone should use a generator or anything else which is so loud as to be disturbing to others for any extended period, that goes for aires and campsites too. I would not want little Johny next door banging a drum for ages or next doors dog being left in the van alone to bark incessantly especially when parked close by.

I do think this bloke was being unreasonable if the heater was only just turned on, as to whether he was rude, I don't know, I didn't see is attitude. However, if it was very early morning or then getting late and people were trying to get some sleep, he might have had reason to complain. As it was off by 8.30 pm in this case I don't think he did.

He could always have moved.

I was at Calaise last week and there was certainly room to park a fair distance from anyone else if needed.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Oh please do me a favour if another "moaning git" is being a bit touchy on a quite busy french aire..... try to be french next time (they all seem to be so....confident :winky:::bigsmile:) Just reply : "kess ta troofion? Kass toi tu pu!"
I have tried to write it so that an English can say it .... but the french "u" has no equivalent

He might think you are just renting an English van!

Don't try to translate .... it's not written properly...just very french!:thumb:

Frankie:Cool:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Amazing behaviour

It has been mentioned before about people banging on the side of a van to gain the occupants attention.

Is it just me?

But you are not going to get a positive response from me if it happens on my van. :Angry:

Why do people think that such a aggressive opening salvo is going to receive an answer that they wish to hear. :Eeek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
How dare you encourage people to bang on your van it sounds like a bloody great drum, I think an ASBO might be in order.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
hi.
As said before,fumes ?,from the exhaust. But if he/they had explained that to you,would it have made any difference. The way they cut in and out,does not help,it's like sleeping in a lorry park,and your friendly neighborhood "Fridge " motor pulls in.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i think a nice knock on the door and a polite request would be a suitable approach... but a bang on the van wall would almost certainly get an appropriate response....:RollEyes:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
i think a nice knock on the door and a polite request would be a suitable approach... [HI]but a bang on the van wall would almost certainly get an appropriate response....:RollEyes:
[/HI]

I agree.

Its a f%ck off in any language.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We had a van parked behind us at a music festival last year. His Webasto/Erberspacher kicked in about 5.30 each morning sounded like a bloody jumbo jet, didn't complain as it really doesn't bother me but it was a hell of a racket.

As for banging on the side of the van if some bugger banged on the side of my van I'd send Jan out she'd bounce the prat all around the bloody site. :ROFLMAO:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
[HI]All you need to do is chuck a few crumbs or some chips[/HI] just outside the door and the noise of the marauding gulls in Calais would drown out any other noise:thumb:

Almost right,

All you need to do is chuck a few crumbs or some chips on his roof when you go to bed. Then at daybreak..........

damar

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
Our last van had diesel heating and that's one of the reasons we got rid, far too noisy!

Yes it is noisy but so so efficient, it is great to have it on when traveling so when you arrive all is lovely and warm, ours now about 12 years old may be the more modern ones are better, if we ever change our van I would go for one again, found it great when up in the alps and the tempter was way down.:Smile:

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes it is noisy but so so efficient, it is great to have it on when traveling so when you arrive all is lovely and warm, ours now about 12 years old may be the more modern ones are better, if we ever change our van I would go for one again, found it great when up in the alps and the tempter was way down.:Smile:

You can run gas ones on the move now.:Smile:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Oh please do me a favour if another "moaning git" is being a bit touchy on a quite busy french aire..... try to be french next time (they all seem to be so....confident :winky:::bigsmile:) Just reply : "kess ta troofion? Kass toi tu pu!"
I have tried to write it so that an English can say it .... but the french "u" has no equivalent

He might think you are just renting an English van!

Don't try to translate .... it's not written properly...just very french!:thumb:

Frankie:Cool:
.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Frankie is that as rude as it sounds

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Yep.. Our gas/electric heating works on the move..

So does that Fiat Road heating thing.. Not really sure what that is tthough?? Presume is cab heating piped through to the back?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back