First trip goes with a bang.. (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Picked up the van, great handover by clvwales, gingerly drove 10 mins up the road to a small site near Carmarthen. Unsurprisingly we were the only ones there except some caravans stored for winter. Nobody to watch our amateur set up moves! Lost the light at 4ish so after an early supper we were tucked up in our duvalay's by 6.30, all the excitement had worn us out!!

Woke up freezing at 2am, I'm crawling around looking for the torch to read the manuals, mr mousy out for the count (or doing a good impression). Finally get gas heater working, only to wake up in a sweaty mess 2 hours later...

Up with the larks, not enough hot water for a shower, manuals out again..

Off to Aberystwyth, automatic Mercedes drives beautifully, arrive at sons uni halls, from the look on his face as he ambles towards us across the car park, he's mortified that his middle aged parents are very enthusiastically waving from a motorhome. Mr mousy shouting "we've come for the week" didn't help.

Sat nav gives up the ghost in Machynyneth. I use a tourist leaflet from portmeirion as a map...with mixed results.

Up to Barmouth, arriving at a proper site with other motorhomes again as the light fades. After some grub, showers and wine we break open the box set of game of thrones. Feels much later than it is when we retire at 9pm!

Next day and the weather has held, crisp blue sky's as we walk along the beach to Barmouth...only to find it shut..til March. This turns out to be a theme, although we love the lack of people, open roads and bare beaches it's a tad sad too.

We mossie up to portmeirion the Italianite village, beautiful in the bright sunshine, open, just us and a few others (bet it's heaving in summer). Onwards to abersoch and the Llyn peninsula (purchasing new maps on way). Abersoch may be open but there are few people about, strangely very expensive clothing shops like Jack Wills and crew clothing so we figure this might be the Croyde of the north.

We find no sites open so park behind the village hall and 'wild camp' it feels daring and exciting, we feel rebellious just tucked away in the corner, we feel wild, it goes to our head.. Let's do this everywhere we cry, til again there are cold showers in the morning. We can't seem to manage our limited resources yet.

Onto Anglesey another dry but cloudy day, we explore the island, again finding empty beaches, we stay at Dulias estuary, small site again on our own just 5 pitches all with ehu and water, lovely walk to the bay. Games of thrones is heating up, mr mousy starts calling me 'my lady' and when we are insulted by a passing lorry driver I shout 'off with his head'. We find north wales with its castles, mountains and waterfalls the perfect place to watch this series. Oh and mr m quite enjoys all the bare boobs. (On the DVD not the people of Anglesey).

We start making our way back home via the meni bridge, windows in as it's only 2.somthing metres wide. Snowdonia is beautiful full of orange, red and dull green colours far too autumnal for the time of year, we see a little more of it than we would like due to my remedial nav skills (sat nav top of christmas list).

As we drive home we recap on our first trip out...we've been to new places, the van is a dream to drive, we've managed to park wherever we liked, we've eaten well and sussed out the minimal effort required to make up the beds, and a bit more work with the vans operating systems and we should be alright. What did we forget? Mr M's pants and socks...

Oh and mr mousy forgot to use the reversing camera and backed into the neighbours wall... Well it couldn't all go swimmingly could it!?

(3.5k insurance claim 6-8 weeks to repair...ouch):shout::thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
:Doh:

I was really enjoying the tale until that last line....
Keep a watch out for telegraph poles as well.. !! They can be sneaky buggers on new motorhomes.. :Blush:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you for sharing, a great description of your trip, hope the van gets sorted ok, quite a few on here had that happen this year.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Boobs eh? I must keep an eye out for that box set.

....oh, and well done on the first trip away, sounds like it was fun, if a little cold.

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh LOL - until the last bit. Ouch. But you've christened it now ....

Abersoch in high summer - you couldn't park a sixpence on end, and it's terribly Yottie, dahling. Hence the shops ..... but there again there are bucket 'n' spade emporia too - in season!

Barmouth does definitely shut for the winter ..... Harlech is a proper though SMALL town though and has a really great kitchenware shop. They have things in there you never knew you needed, and yet begin to wonder how you've possibly managed without all these years! I love it. Never bought a thing !

Glad you enjoyed it, anyway, and hope you get to the bottom of your heating and boiler probs without too much angst. We keep the idiots guide for ours in a handy cupboard, but don't tell anyone about that please!

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
... only to wake up in a sweaty mess 2 hours later...

Lucky you! That's how you 'christen' a van!:thumb::roflmto:

Seriously, really enjoyed reading that. Glad it went well, but sad to read the last bit. Hope it's sorted soon.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for sharing your first trip with us. Sounds like the first of very many. It's good isn't it? ::bigsmile::thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A steep learning curve :Smile: sounds like you had fun ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks all, yeah the last 10 minutes were definitely the worst and it was such a shame because we'd had a lovely trip and a great laugh til then. However, whilst it will cost us some pennies, it could have been worse, nobody was hurt.:RollEyes: we will remain positive and remember the good times.

I think if we can enjoy it in November with the short days and chill factor, how brilliant is it going to be in spring/summer, France/Italian lakes etc?

We are busy planning our next trip (gaffer taping the rear and side gash!), no doubt still loads of questions to ask of you all...but I'm no campervan virgin now, so watch out I may start 'chipping in':whatthe:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks for sharing your exciting first trip, cant wait for the next one. :thumb:

But can we have a happy ending please. :whatthe: :roflmto: Bob and Jane.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Just how I like my books
A great story with a sting in the tail (Sorry ::bigsmile:)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
excellant start::bigsmile:

and your now coming to the frodhsam meet:thumb:, big spaces there so you should be ok:roflmto:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
First Tri[p Out

Nice description,except for the last line !

Many of us have similar. On our first trip to France with a brand new MH we filled up at the Auchan Hypermarket Filling Station in Calais. (The old one, not the new, super posh one on the other side of the road).

On turning out of the pay booth lane I hit the side skirt on the high kerb smashing it halfway along.

That's what makes MH'ing such fun !!
:Smile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Ah...the old Arousal cafe in Barmouth...nice chips, but not upto the marketing statements...:roflmto:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Is this Eric Morecambe's hidden love child I see ?

Anyway, call that damage !

This is damage....

Broken Link Removed

Which one of us looks like Eric? I've got his sense of humour, you could be onto something there Brian!

As to your scratch, I did use it as a "it could have been worse" :thumb:

The difference being you are a very handy chap who can mend is mistakes, we're not:Doh:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Thanks for sharing your first trip & pictures as well. :Smile:
Shame it ended with a bang. :Sad:

regards Amanda Bill & Kate