Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
We have a 2010 burstner nexxo t660, I have been keeping my eye on a small damp stain inside one of the cupboards below the roof joint.
I have just used a small digital damp meter and it gave a reading of 28 but it is only in a small patch, does anyone know what the reading are for a motor home as I know they can get condensation in them-also I have a couple of disposable dehumidifiers and they are dry and as new and don't appear to be drawing any damp.

Alan

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
When I had my last habitation check, the chart said anything over 15 indicated significant damp needing investigation :Sad: Hope I'm wrong, but I would get it checked out at your dealers.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have a 2010 burstner nexxo t660, I have been keeping my eye on a small damp stain inside one of the cupboards below the roof joint.
I have just used a small digital damp meter and it gave a reading of 28 but it is only in a small patch, does anyone know what the reading are for a motor home as I know they can get condensation in them-also I have a couple of disposable dehumidifiers and they are dry and as new and don't appear to be drawing any damp.Alan
Not an expert but in this link it says that wood with 28% reading is saturated. Have a read see if it can help. The area of damp would make me suspicious high on the wall could be the roof seal.
http://www.dampness-info.co.uk/meters.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Acceptable damp in a motorhome = Nill
NARDA zilch
None
Nothing

What to do

Panic. It's an expensive fix :cry::cry:
DO NOT PUT IT OFF

Get it looked at now !!!!!

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

depends on the meter. I have a cheapie off ebay and the way I approach using the meter is to take readings over a period of time. Self calibration you might say. I use the same points every time leaving 4 small puncture marks so I can find next time.

I average, with my meter, <15% in the summer up to my recorded max of 20% during the winter. No internal heating; this is cold storage for want of a better phrase.
I would start to investigate if it went above 22/23%. Therefore, using my meter, I would suspect a leak somewhere.

I once had a reading of 30% under a sliding window and after checking put it down to my careless use of the power washer.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I dont think there should be any damp in a 2010 motorhome.
I whould contact the dealer without delay.

Mel

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I bought my Nexxo T660 from Southdowns, they use readings

0-5 fine, 5-15 acceptable, 15-20 attention -damp but minimal, 21-60 Action,
R-rotten

My gas locker door internals are going to be replaced under warranty.

How old is the van? It should have a 5 year water ingress guarantee providing you have had an annual damp test by a Burstner dealer.

Is it near where you TV Ariel is? Mine is in the wardrobe and the high level kitchen cupboards are next to the wardrobe, it might be that the arial needs revealing.

Let me know how you get on

Cheers

Bob

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Another neglected area is the heater flue pipe seal on the roof it can crack and cause water ingress.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have a couple of disposable dehumidifiers and they are dry and as new and don't appear to be drawing any damp.
Alan

To dry a section I found damp I opened up the area and had a fan heater on low blowing on it for 3 weeks.

Once it's in it travels a long way and it's hell to get out.

You can see some of the damp, what about the water running the other way.

Sorry to lay it on but you need to do something pronto.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I dont think there should be any damp in a 2010 motorhome.
I whould contact the dealer without delay.

Mel

There will always be some dampness (humidity) in any motorhome. This is why I get a higher reading during the winter months; it's just cold and damp out there.

Summer can be as low as 10% (with my meter which I use to compare readings)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
All materials have a different resistance so when looking at possible damp compare like with like at different points in the van. It does seem rather high, but don't panic now Mr Mainwaring Sir. Light a fire in the middle of the van and let the insurance cure it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I followed a lead about a "miracle cure" Google - Captain Tolley Looks a goodun but other more experienced lads on this site, good luck !

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A dampmeter is for investigating hidden problems.

If you can see a wet patch, you have a LEAK!!!!!!!!!

Get on the roof and check all sealant beads, trim, etc.

Common sense applies here. If a seal looks dodgy, then it probably is! I have had instances in the past where a dealer has ignored a crap, split bead of sealant just because the damp meter said there was no problem. The damp test was done in May. By November, 5 boards inside needed replacement!
The work was done under warranty (badly), I still needed to reseal the roof because they STILL hadn't sorted the sealant!
Anyway, we shifted that van for our new one!
As a result we trust NOBODY to look after our newest pride and joy. I damp test randomly every month or two.:thumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The highest reading at my last hab check was 12 :thumb::thumb:

Your number appears to be a bit high:Eeek::Eeek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've just checked a few things round the house to get an idea of what the range might be.

In the garage (no leaks but ambient temperature, dampish air as it's raining) a couple of softwood samples (worktop and stool) were 18%

In the house with central heating, softwood (doorframe) was 2%, Oak (door) was 0%, presumably this is as dry as it can be.

Working on that basis, at this time of year with the wet weather we are having, softwood could be as high as 20% without indicating a problem if there has been no heating for a while. Far lower in warmer weather though or if there was heating on.

Meters may vary though, mine gives a reading of 35% for skin on my arm.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I have a couple of disposable dehumidifiers and they are dry and as new and don't appear to be drawing any damp.

Alan

Are you putting any heat into the space? To get the moisture to rise out of your Motorhome contents and settle in a dehumidifier, in any appreciable amounts, you need to warm the air.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Damp on a surface due to condensation can be confused with damp in the wood.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back