is it possible?? (1 Viewer)

merclunar

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
this may be a silly question guys, but just in case i would like to know if it would be possible to jump a dead van battery of the leisure battery??

Thanks, Paul

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
The answer to your question is yes it can be done, however leisure batteries are different to normal car batteries in the way they are made and continuous engine starting will eventually damage them.:cry:

Having said that my RV actually has an emergency system built in that starts the engine off the leisure batteries by pushing an emergency start button!!:thumb:

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
this may be a silly question guys, but just in case i would like to know if it would be possible to jump a dead van battery of the leisure battery??

Thanks, Paul

YES.

The answer to your question is yes it can be done, however leisure batteries are different to normal car batteries in the way they are made and continuous engine starting will eventually damage them.:cry:

Having said that my RV actually has an emergency system built in that starts the engine off the leisure batteries by pushing an emergency start button!!:thumb:

Not necessarily so. Not ALL leisure batteries are equal. The majority are just the same as car batteries with writing on saying they ARE leisure batteries.

Re the RV is quite correct. Easy peasy with an RV. Sometimes. Unless ALL the batteries are flat. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
The only time we had need of this the chassis battery didn't even have enough charge to energise the parallel relay:Doh: It was simple enough to take a single jump lead and connect the positive terminals together. I was surprised at how easily the house batteries turned the engine over.
I seem to remember reading that a starter motor would draw 800 amps. I'd say my engine fired up in 3 secs which equates to 1 amp hour:ROFLMAO:

Regards
Doug

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I seem to remember reading that a starter motor would draw 800 amps. I'd say my engine fired up in 3 secs which equates to 1 amp hour:ROFLMAO:

Regards
Doug

:Cool: When our old 1988 Coachmen Classic had a duff Alternator along with a duff generator. We were charging everything from solar panels. ALL the batteries were down to 11.2 volts. But it still fired up the motor. Good motors on those yanks. :winky:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back