Non Toll roads through France (1 Viewer)

A

aragon

Deleted User
Hi, We are taking our recently purchased Ford Herald Aragon Down to the Med. Having done the journey several times in a car on the French Motorway toll roads, we would like to travel non toll roads to save money and see a bit of France on route. Any suggested routes and stopovers very much appreciated Sailing from Dover 7th Aug
THANK YOU

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Avoid toll roads

Hi, We are taking our recently purchased Ford Herald Aragon Down to the Med. Having done the journey several times in a car on the French Motorway toll roads, we would like to travel non toll roads to save money and see a bit of France on route. Any suggested routes and stopovers very much appreciated Sailing from Dover 7th Aug
THANK YOU

If you are "yaking your time, just follow the west coast, the ACSI organisation has a good selection of sites in France, approx 400, or Alan Rogers guide to France is also a good option.

Should you want to get to the med in a shorter time, then the satnav set to avoid motorways, will guide you along the N roads, and lessor roads, but you explore the real France that way.

Enjoy your holiday

Nomadic

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aragon

Deleted User
Thanks for your usefull information Nomadic .

Aragon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
The routes south through central France also offer plenty of options for a gentle drive through this beautiful country, so much so that you may not get to the Med! To a large extent your route will depend on the ferry crossing you use, but get a large-scale map and pencil in some routes towards your destination. You could try one southwards and another on the return trip. You can visit the Millau bridge, the Gorges du Tarn, the lakes and forests of the Limousin - there is so much to see.:thumb:

Wherever you go, enjoy the drive - the route is at least half of the pleasure especially for motorhomers.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Bob and Di

Upvote 0

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
we have just returned from 3 weeks in france. never used a peage. probably adds 30-50% to the travel time, but you get to see the country. even better, you get the occasional friterie and routier for food, all paid for by the saving on tolls.

being lazy, i just followed the route offered by my tomtom when set to avoid tolls. then double checked on the map. only poor route was from santenay (bourgogne) to epernay (champagne) which took us round the beaune and dijon "ring roads" which were very slow, full of traffic lights, all set by the french to turn red on spotting approaching brits. or so it seemed.

des

Upvote 0

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
We went to Javea Spain through France in 2006 we set off from Calais and made our way to Spain using mostly all non motorway roads except the Millau bridge, on our return we crossed Spain and made our way up the western coast of France to and then inland mostly avoiding toll roads. We found most roads long and straight and not very busy at all and that was in August!!

Have a safe trip

Regards Pat

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: We have been using the A75 non toll road through the centre of France that no includes the Millau bridge. We met a Truck driver on the Ferry who told us he uses the A20/N20 (Paris to Toulouse). He says it only has a short Toll road the rest is free. We use part of the N20 on our trip from and to Le Havre. We used to use the N20 years ago and haven't tried it recently. We also used to travel the West coast from San Sebastian. Some very good dual carriageways. :winky:

Upvote 0

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I am doing a like wise trip in three weeks. none motorway. Will set my sat nav accordingly, but my concern is, all roads seem to lead to Paris, and I desperately want to avoid even the ring road.:Eeek: Still filling my pants as it is my first time and on my own.At least there isnt any one to complain of the smell when I do.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aragon

Deleted User
Non tolls through France

Thanks to all for the Very useful information

Aragon:

Upvote 0

don

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
hingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Hi just a thought, have you got the caravan club europe 1 book, this has thousonds
of sites includind many very good municipal sites, prices from around 7 to 16 euros.
We go every year, this year 3 times, would'nt be without it.
Cheers
Don

Upvote 0

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
We use the Aire`s in France and down to pau

:thumb::thumb::thumb: we go down France to Pau and into Spain all none toll roads,will do this in Nov08 when we go to winter in Spain.john

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back