Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Anyone with XP should look at upgrading as support for the platform will cease next year. Windows 7 is a good option and can be acquired at a good price if searched for. However, you may need to check compatibility of some programmes to determine if they will run in windows 7.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I still use windows XP on a laptop so that I can run a number of programs that will not run on Win7. I had to buy the laptop specially in order to get this OS so definitely not thinking of changing it.
Lack of support from Microsoft not a big deal though.

Seems from the MS web site that this can only be exploited by someone with a valid login so this must make it quite difficult for anyone without one.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I still use windows XP on a laptop so that I can run a number of programs that will not run on Win7. I had to buy the laptop specially in order to get this OS so definitely not thinking of changing it.
Lack of support from Microsoft not a big deal though.

Seems from the MS web site that this can only be exploited by someone with a valid login so this must make it quite difficult for anyone without one.
there is a way to run a program in xp mode when using windows 7. I have found most legacy programs can be made to work if you set them up this way

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
there is a way to run a program in xp mode when using windows 7. I have found most legacy programs can be made to work if you set them up this way

Does 7 do anything better than XP ? I'm very fond of XP with it's parchment and Roman numerals, but MS must be desperate to kill it by fair means or foul, they have a fortune at stake.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to be honest windows xp was the best most stable windows version for quite some time, till windows 7 set a new better standard

many companies have held off upgrading till recently and most new programs are designed to take advantage of inbuilt features. networking for instance has been simplified and if you dont run a load of crap in the background its faster than xp

the fact that M$ are dropping any further support was the killer blow

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Does 7 do anything better than XP ? I'm very fond of XP with it's parchment and Roman numerals, but MS must be desperate to kill it by fair means or foul, they have a fortune at stake.

I liked XP and only went to Windows 7 because we wanted to move from desktop machines to laptops. I then bought a Windows 8 laptop just to see what the fuss was about (and I liked it when I played with it in PC World). Gave the Win 7 laptop to No 2 son. Both are good platforms.

MS aren't desperate to kill XP, it's just what they have always done. That's especially the case at the moment, where development is concentrated on 64 bit operating systems. They see no reason to spend extra to develop for 32 bit as well.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The problem from now on will be that Microsoft will not put any major engineering effort into fixing security bugs in XP. They will at best patch the hole using the least effort. This may/will cause functionality issues.

XP is pretty much dead now as far as MS are concerned.

7 was the best OS MS ever produced stability wise it was even better than XP.

PS: Hilldweller, if you are reading this I have a spare windows 7 license somewhere. I am planning on have a good clear out of the van in the next couple of months. When I find it I will ship it to you if you want it?

Last edited:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
The issue with XP will be security and it will be easy prey for hackers once support is withdrawn. Not a problem if you don't go online. I still will run XP on an old laptop so I can still access some older programmes.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The issue with XP will be security and it will be easy prey for hackers once support is withdrawn. Not a problem if you don't go online. I still will run XP on an old laptop so I can still access some older programmes.

The good thing is that if few people are using XP it won't be much of a target for hackers because of the slim pickings to be had.
The same logic as why the Apple Mac system had few virus/hackers because many less users than microsoft.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Anyone with XP should look at upgrading as support for the platform will cease next year. Windows 7 is a good option and can be acquired at a good price if searched for. However, you may need to check compatibility of some programmes to determine if they will run in windows 7.

Not only the programmes, but also your equipment too to ensure you can get the drivers for Windows 7 or 8.

I used XP for yonks and did NOT like 7 when we first got it at work but that was mainly because it was foisted on us and we didn't get any time to get used to it - when you're a PA to a busy boss the last thing you want to do is have to suddenly try to use a new system with him breathing down your neck for something he needed a hour earlier!!! :Eeek:

Hubby prefers XP and refused to have anything else on our PC and whilst I still like it, I have Windows 7 on my laptop (it is what it came with) and I do like it a lot, for example the photo viewing is much better as you can choose the size of the images whilst you are looking at them in the folders, rather than having miniscule images and having to open them to see any real detail. Makes locating and sorting through holiday snaps etc much quicker. The one thing I don't like, though, is the search facility as it isn't as good as the XP one IMV but I don't use this anything like as much as I do the 'photo' viewing benefit so I'm not going to complain! :RollEyes:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
The best pc I have used over the last 15 years in work has to be using win 7 on a Packard bell tower 2 years old now.
It keeps going year after year with none of the old problems from years ago.

Used to--
run slow--
had conflicts --
had incompatibilities-(used 7 spell check) :thumb:
Kept freezing up-

I always thought for years when I kept getting messages about do this and that from windows, -- why should I ?, you are the computer experts , not me, sort it out yourselfs :Angry:

Now with windows 7 it does it all :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back