Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
We had our first family trip away. It was not without incident. Living in cramped conditions takes understanding and patience. We loved being away and the freedom it gave us. We had two problems. The fridge will not work on 12v or hook up. Also I could not get any hot water, even though I tested it on Thursday. Wife and daughter were not amused

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
We had our first family trip away. It was not without incident. Living in cramped conditions takes understanding and patience. We loved being away and the freedom it gave us. We had two problems. The fridge will not work on 12v or hook up. Also I could not get any hot water, even though I tested it on Thursday. Wife and daughter were not amused

Just 2 problems is good....not counting that your wife and daughter probably thought you were a problem for not sorting them out :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

Only two little problems. The rest is a breeze:RollEyes::winky::Blush:
Hot water is over rated any way g:Doh::Smile:
:Eeek::Eeek: No cold beer now you have to up your game just a little

12 volt. Is it running of battery power it's only when engine is running
Best work on cold beer thingy first :ROFLMAO:

Keep us nosey beggars updated. We like to know when you fail and get the experts involved
Makes us feel that we are not so thick as others think we are

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Lord Mac

Sorry to hear about your issues with the fridge and hot water, but hope it hasn't put you off. When we did our first trip also in Winter, 8 years ago, there were a few things which we didn't fully understand, but which in time we worked out. Some obvious questions, which you may already have worked through:

Have you contacted the dealer or previous owner, regarding these problems?
Is there a manual for the van, perhaps with a trouble shooting guide?
Could you run the fridge on gas or did it refuse to work completely?
Did you draw the water into the hot water boiler before trying to heat it? In our van you have to open all the hot taps until the supply runs bubble-free, then you know the boiler is full and ready to heat.

In the short term you can always use the hob to heat hot water, but having no permanent supply and worse, no fridge, is not something you can live with fir long. Good luck, and you can be sure that if you have a specific question, someone amongst the members on this site will probably be able to advise you.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Had MH nearly 2 years, went away last week but couldn't get water out of taps? Oh yes, put bung back into water tank. Still no joy, oh yes, shut drain cock!

So as someone said, fridge only on 12v when switched to 12v and engine is running.
So no hot water? Now fridge and heating driven by gas, have you run out?
Does fridge have spur fuse? I couldn't get fridge to work on hook-up but eventually found spur fuse and switch in nearby cupboard.
If you have no 12 volts then igniters may not work.

Perhaps if you are more specific there may be help on its way.
Did fridge work at home on hook-up/gas?
Did heater work at home? Is it gas/electric? Was it trying to ignite or no clicking?
Are the controls working?
Do you have leisure battery connected?
Is main controller switched on?
Have fuses tripped?

Have you been forgiven yet?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lord Mac

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Fridge works with gas. Did not work on hook up at home. Will check fused tomorrow.
Has full . Had a lot of air in system. Well check it out tomorrow. There is a cupboard with a psu,that has fuses on in it. Again I will look at it tomorrow.

Thank you all for the pointers.

Wife and daughter have had showers tonight and are speaking to me in words of more than one syllable.

Ps ignited working for heating, cooker and fridge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lord Mac

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
We forgot wooden spoon, metal tray to keep things warm in the oven and beleive it or not towels.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Wife + daughter + motorhome - hot water = trouble.
That happened to us once. What made it worse was I had just had a nice hot shower then took dogs out for walk. Came back to the above equation.
I had the hot water on the timer that I had set wrong :Doh:
Not the same situation as you, but the same result. I feel your pain.......

Allan

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Fridge not working? put the stuff in a bucket and leave it outside for a bit- will soon be cold!
seriously it will only get better,
Cheers Dave:thumb:

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Forgot the towels eh! So there was not a problem having no hot water then.

Reminds me of a few years ago when we got to the south of France (Cap d Agde) and Jenny announces "I haven't got any Knickers" if we had been on the naturist camping it wouldn't have been a problem really, but we weren't so had to find a supermarket for her.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We forgot wooden spoon, metal tray to keep things warm in the oven and beleive it or not towels.

Our 1st caravan was quite small, wife packed clothes for children within but our clothes were packed in a large suitcase. This travelled in boot and stayed in awning.
Got to Cornwall (326 miles). Set up awning and fancied a shower before bed, where's suitcase? STILL AT HOME ! ! This was Friday night.
Had to ring friend that had key to house, earliest he could send via Red-Star train service was Monday morning. Suitcase collected Truro station at 8:20pm Monday.

Upvote 0

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We forgot wooden spoon, [HI]metal tray to keep things warm in the oven[/HI] and beleive it or not towels.

Found a couple of enamel plates (£ shop) were useful for this - and presentable enough to use as extra plates if the need arose :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lord Mac

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am going to put my hands up and admit to being a right plonker.

Hot water...I forgot to switch on the temperature guage.....doh. It is always the obvious thing that you miss.:Blush:

Bring on the abuse.

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
[HI][/HI]

Hot water...I forgot to switch on the temperature guage.....doh.[HI][/HI] It is always the obvious thing that you miss.[HI][/HI]:Blush:

Bring on the abuse.

At least you didn't hit anything...

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

Hot water...[HI]I forgot to switch on the temperature guage[/HI].....doh. It is always the obvious thing that you miss.:Blush:

Bring on the abuse.

Err that explanation needs a little polishing before being presented to your wife. If I might be so bold as to suggest:

"Technical issue with the hot water system which has now been rectified" :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back