Led lights (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
ok.this has probably already been covered,but here goes.I am changing interior lights to LED.looking on Ebay there appears to be two types of light. warm & white light.which seem to be the most popular.whats the difference for reading etc.when changing to LED do you remove the chrome deflector behind the Halogen bulbs that are already fitted .:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.whats the difference for reading etc.when changing to LED do you remove the chrome deflector behind the Halogen bulbs that are already fitted .:Smile:

It's a matter of taste.

Warm is closer to the old hot bulbs.

White is brighter but seems cold.

The LEDs are directional so don't need a reflector, mostly. You'll figure it out once you have one in your hand.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
There has already been a thread on this very subject, try a forum search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The white can be "very clinical"...

We fitted the "warm white" both in the van and at home......

Re the deflector, depending on which lamps you buy, some are directional and some have smd's all the way around....

Link Removed

Link Removed

:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Link Removed

Link Removed

:thumb:

Something to look out for on that top very common format, it's a big weight on the end of two pins. I've had a couple of failures. Re-soldered them and added epoxy to take the stress of the soldering.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally i find the warm white (slightly orange) led's are better for normal ambient lights but cool white (slightly blue) lights are better for reading

dont forget LED's are polarity sensitive. if you plug them in and they dont work, unplug them and reverse the pins

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Definitely the warmer light for me, as stated the white can be clinical but at the end of the day it's personal choice. I purchased mine from Lustrum light some 3 years ago - very competitive prices.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Can't help with the colour because I am still waiting for the ones I ordered to come. With regards to removing the reflector in the spotlights I think the answer depends upon the type of bulb you get. If you use the ones that are shaped roughly like the G4 halogenss you are replacing, with LEDs all around them then I think you need to keep the reflectors in. If you go for the round flat disc type with all of the LEDs on one flat side then I think you can take the reflectors out, because there should be no light going that way anyway.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I prefer the bright white ones.

I did try both, the yellow ones seemed a bit dim to me. The bright white ones did seem clinical and bright but I very quickly got used to them.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We had a mix of both but have now changed most over to bright white. We found the warm light to be a very soft light so now we just have a couple of spotlights with them as a nice background light.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We prefer a mix. Warm tone for living area and bright white in kitchen & bathroom. Works well for us.:thumb:

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back