Won't start and I'm at the top of a mountain! (1 Viewer)

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
Ok firstly I'm technically useless, but I've done all I can do to make sure my Fiat Hymer would survive the extreme weather.

Im at Val Claret, French Alps, wild camping thanks to a very generous (corrupt) parking supervisor who is allowing me to stay in the coach car park in the highest European skiing resort. Prime position but I can't get the engine started after 3 parked up days.

I've winter fuel with 10% ethanol, -20 anti freeze, new batteries both reading fully charged, 2 x solar panels fine and working, but the diesel pre ignition warm up light is flashing and not going out, hence engine not starting. It's turning over sluggishly but just won't start.

The weather has been -12 overnight but 3+ by midday.

I'm too high up for caravan club recovery, it's listed as a "uncovered area", of course a local garage in the valley can come up and sort / recover but this will involve selling vital organs to cover the cost ...

So my question is with warmer temps forecast in the coming week, will it sort itself out and thaw out whatever is causing the issue? I'm still here for another week so no rush but is leaving it making the problem worse?

Any help most welcome.

Great skiing mind, so life is good if I can just get started!

Kind regards

Justin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Possible solution - jumper leads from leisure to starter battery.

Worst case, you go from stuck, to freezing your nuts off and stuck.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do you have a generator with battery charging facility??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
Batteries are fully charged

All batteries, engine and leisure are fully charges and have been topped up by the solar panels throughout the sunny days. Not sure what the jump leads from one to the other will do?

Justin.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Try giving your battery terminals a good clean... :thumb:

OP
OP
J

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
No generator but ...

Do you have a generator with battery charging facility??

I've been offered a generator to borrow, but with all batteries at 100% I'm not sure how that will help?

Justin

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Whilst you are waiting for summer to arrive.....:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

you could take some pics and post them here to make us all jealous.....

:winky:::winky::winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The glow plug light flashing is an indication of something amiss. Am not sure which model of Fiat you have, but I think its something to do with water in the fuel filter or a heater plug gone down.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Try giving your battery terminals a good clean... :thumb:

Now that's a point, as well as that possibility, the engine to battery earth lead got corroded on ours and that killed the starting. In our case it's right under the engine in just the right place for all the crap to hit it.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
HI you need to get them glow plugs working, and as brian says jump your hab battery to the engine battery to give extra amps, i would expect you have ice cristal's built up in your glow plugs so you need to get them to work a.s.a.p, by what you are saying there is not enough power going to the glow plugs, so jump the batterys, YOU NEED TO GET THAT ENGINE GOING a.s.a.p, and when up in those regions in winter you need to run your engine every day, hope this helps good luck,Alf.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Possible solution - jumper leads from leisure to starter battery.

QUOTE]

I've been offered a generator to borrow, but with all batteries at 100% I'm not sure how that will help?

Justin
You say the engine is turning over sluggishly, the extra UMMPPH from the genny will liven the battery and may turn the engine a little more "enthusiastically" or indeed from the leisure battery slave. If neither works at least you have discounted a battery problem and can then advertise internal organs:Eeek:, try E bay.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
First question,

Are you getting thick white smoke from your exhaust whilst attempting to start?

OP
OP
J

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
Nothing exceptional.

Hi, not really, a little puff of standard diesel grey, but only usual stuff.

I'm going hook up the two batteries tomorrow in daylight and see if I can get some life into her with extra oomph.

Justin

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Dont want to sound pedantic, but Val T is higher by a few feet :Tongue1:

Anyhow,

try this. Go in to any of the hotels. They will have for sure a battery jump booster for this very situation. it happens so regularly it almost funny watching the owners go out with the jumper kit.. (yes jon ive used one once too :whistle: ) They will probably rent it to you.. or even the car park attendant should have one, and being corrupt he will probably rent it cheap :winky:
Also get his name, he could be handy for future ski trips, I love tignes.

I know you say your batteries are charged, but I agree with others, there is probably not enough charge to fire it up in the extreme temperatures. As has been said before, you need to really start up every day. Or what we always do is open the bonnet in the sun around lunch time when the temps are at there highest heating all the metal work in and around the engine. :thumb:

hope you get it fixed, but if not, it could be worse, Ive been stuck in Newark before, given the choice I know where I would rather be.....

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Eddie is asking what year and what size engine is it. :Smile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Definitely glow plugs or water in the fuel filter then.

Dave

If it is water is it beter not to try and start it before the water is removed.

Mel

OP
OP
J

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
Warmer tomorrow - The Start day!

My goal is set for tomorrow!

Ski the morning groomers, but crusty off piste, then get my arse into gear and get this van started. I've got the jump leads, the borrowed Genny and maybe a booster pack all squared away for a 1pm rendezvous at my van, when it's forecast to be sunny and 5c.

Fingers crossed, will update on my levels of success!

Thank you everyone

Justin

Dont want to sound pedantic, but Val T is higher by a few feet :Tongue1:

Anyhow,

try this. Go in to any of the hotels. They will have for sure a battery jump booster for this very situation. it happens so regularly it almost funny watching the owners go out with the jumper kit.. (yes jon ive used one once too :whistle: ) They will probably rent it to you.. or even the car park attendant should have one, and being corrupt he will probably rent it cheap :winky:
Also get his name, he could be handy for future ski trips, I love tignes.

I know you say your batteries are charged, but I agree with others, there is probably not enough charge to fire it up in the extreme temperatures. As has been said before, you need to really start up every day. Or what we always do is open the bonnet in the sun around lunch time when the temps are at there highest heating all the metal work in and around the engine. :thumb:

hope you get it fixed, but if not, it could be worse, Ive been stuck in Newark before, given the choice I know where I would rather be.....

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Water in the fuel will NOT cause it to turn over sluggishly.

Very true. BUT, it will make the glowplug light flash on and off. The outside temp will make it turn over sluggishly.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Haggers is bang on I had exactly the same problem a couple of years back in VT rented battery pack 10 euros . After that got it going I started the engine every day no more problems.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
The cold starter on that motor uses hot flame manifold start not glow plugs.
Here is some more info on it

Here---
Broken Link Removed

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
You drove in so nothing has really changed apart from extreme cold temp.
Try warming engine up with hair dryer around starter motor as they have a habit of freezing, might sound strange but has worked for me in the past

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Get your clever head on your on top of a bloody mountain:whatthe:
It will not start :Doh:So simples. Let gravity work for you :Doh::Doh:

Push the fu%$*%ing thing down the sodding mountain

Next question problem please :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Easy start (Ether) or pour a couple of teaspoonsfull of petrol into the air inlet after the filter or some hot air into the air inlet from a hair drier

Failing that a good tow start

Good luck

Peter

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Very true. BUT, it will make the glowplug light flash on and off. The outside temp will make it turn over sluggishly.
Very true hence my suggestion to liven the battery with a slave or a genny. Not sure how effective mutli grade oils are at those temps but it will make it much harder to turn over when the oil is like treacle, I would go for the thinnest oil recommended by the engine manufacturer for prolonged stays in the mountains.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
On a serious note ( yes I do have moments )

I Carrie a chefs gas gun it's great fir getting heat in to places

And useful when making Crembulae in the kitchen

Ok you think I am showing off now :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Heat the inlet manifold to about 40 degrees.
Then turn the key

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't even think of pushing it down a hill to try and get it started. Your power steering and brake servo won't work and you might easily lose control unless it is a very gentle straight hill with somewhere to coast to a halt at the end.

The engine oil will be very thick so that won't help. I've seen lorry drivers lighting fires under their vehicles but I can't recommend this although the resulting blaze could keep you warm for a little while. The flashing light might be an indication of a failed glow plug but I would have thought it would still have started unless the engine management system is trying to be too clever.

As advised by others, all you can do is check the battery connections are clean. If it still won't work you may have to consider donating a kidney...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back