Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
hi
we are retiring next year already bought the crossing for next sept for a few months.I have been buying things for the van ready for longer trips gaslow system being fitted today a new Tv and genny already have solar and battery's is there anything else anyone can think off I need and can buy before finishing work
Neil

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Outside gear ?

Good seats.
Awning.
Wind break.
Large glasses.
BBQ.
Kindle or similar.
Bicycles.
Duct Tape.
Shovel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Adapters for your EHU. Updates to your Sat Nav maps. :thumb:
loadsa money to spend
:roflmto:

Forgot:Doh:
(Gail's thread reminded me) Make sure your Fire extinguishers are in date and your gas alarms (both) have full batteries.

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
screw top wine bottles

hi
we are retiring next year already bought the crossing for next sept for a few months.I have been buying things for the van ready for longer trips gaslow system being fitted today a new Tv and genny already have solar and battery's is there anything else anyone can think off I need and can buy before finishing work
Neil[/QUOTE

We have just had a long trip following our retirement and found a screw top bottle for both red and white wine would have been handy.

Daft I know but we got repeatedly invited to other motorhomer's vans for drinks and it is a real pain lugging a huge box around. :thumb::thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For me "staying sane" would be top of the list and that means something to keep the brain ticking over. Books are heavy so a Kindle would be good but I now prefer to use an Android tablet with the Kindle app. This connects to the internet through my smart 'phone so I can access e-mails and buy new Kindle books on line. There are lots of books for 99p and many of the classics, such as Dickens are free.

The Kindle books are fine for fiction but for reference books you can't beat hard copy, despite their weight and bulk so our little bookshelf has bird books, plant books and even one for identifying fungi. A good pair of binoculars also essential.

I also take a note book to keep a diary. I've tried typing diaries into a computer but scribbling with the pencil is much easier and can be done more or less anywhere.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I would recommend a good digital camera to take shots of wherever you are and an i pad or similar plus mifi.You can then keep all your friends and family updated as to what a terrible time you are having and how awful it is to be retired!:ROFLMAO:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
What to buy

Outside gear ?

Good seats.
Awning.
Wind break.
Large glasses.
BBQ.
Kindle or similar.
Bicycles.
Duct Tape.
Shovel.

I agree with Brian, though not sure why you'd want Dame Edna Everage sized glasses.......unless it's to stand out from the crowd :ROFLMAO:
We have an iPad and Kindles. iPad gives colour (where appropriate) and good indoors but a 3G Kindle is still best all round in my view.
If you haven't already got ramps, have a look at the Quattros. Bulky but unbeatable.
I'll bet you'll have difficulty wiping the smiles off your faces when you hit the road, and it will always be like that, no matter how experienced you become.:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would recommend downloading WhatsApp if you have a smart phone, get your family on it as well, then you can keep in touch with them by text for free where ever in the world you may be.

Think more of outdoor living than in the UK as Brian says if you don't want to take a large awning with you think about a Windblocker they are now very good and not a lot of carriage .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would recommend downloading WhatsApp if you have a smart phone, get your family on it as well, then you can keep in touch with them by text for free where ever in the world you may be.

Think more of outdoor living than in the UK as Brian says if you don't want to take a large awning with you think about a Windblocker they are now very good and not a lot of carriage .

Are you sure it's free Carol? According to their site it says:

http://www.whatsapp.com/

How it works

WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.
and

When I travel abroad / overseas, will I be charged for data roaming?

WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan as web browsing and email on your phone. If using your cellular data while roaming will normally result in additional charges, you may be charged extra by your mobile provider for using WhatsApp while roaming.

However, provided you have Wi-Fi internet access and current WhatsApp service, WhatsApp should be free to use over a Wi-Fi connection.

So it is ONLY free if you have a FREE wifi connection, NOT if you use your own.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
A friend has been using it to a friend in Australia her bill has come through with no extra charge on it, though I will double check this, no one I know has had a charge.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Whatsapp is great. Ginny is at Uni in London, but we have a family group chat always open. WhatsApp means we have a chat a few times a day, she is on the Uni wifi so its totally free.

At a Rally like the Marjal one, a Whatsapp group would have been ideal:thumb:
I think its free for the first year then 69p a year thereafter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back