LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am looking at E-bay for a server, not new, can anyone suggest what OS I should be using, I intent using it for storing backups and video feeds from my IP CCTV, so I am not looking for really high performance,

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Does that mean you have static ip address so you can log in from overseas then watch bbc
Or am I thick as usual

No, I have a NAT (Microsoft Home Server), which backs up all my laptops etc, music e-mails. But what I am looking for is a server to backup the server and take a feed from all of the IP cameras, they ate linked to the network and set up to record any movement, also it has facial recognition software. What I am hoping to do is store the CCTV stuff there, so I can access it when away from home. It’s not got to be high spec.,
Watching TV from abroad, well I do have an EchoStar sling box, which is also on the network, which can be accessed from overseas.
I am not sure if I can load XP on a server or does it have to be server specific software, don’t fancy going down the Linux options, well not at the moment.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You could have given them a link to your webcam

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You really don't need a standalone server.. If youhave a desktop pc. Use that. Windows 7 pro and if you don't have a fixed ip address.. Get yourself a dyndns account. Your router can beconfigured appropriately (port forwarding ) and all will be good. Plenty of people I here can assist you setting it up.
Just ensure you have a large hard drive.. (network drive would be good)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You really don't need a standalone server.. If youhave a desktop pc. Use that. Windows 7 pro and if you don't have a fixed ip address.. Get yourself a dyndns account. Your router can beconfigured appropriately (port forwarding ) and all will be good. Plenty of people I here can assist you setting it up.
Just ensure you have a large hard drive.. (network drive would be good)

The Microsoft Home Server has 4 TB at the moment, with some data duplicated (Sort of RAID), I was hoping to have the second server for the CCTV mainly,

I will look up dyndns, not heard of that before...

Dave

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are several dynamic dns sites. what they do is redirect traffic from a static ip address to your home ip address. with virtually all service providers, your router will get a dynamic address from a specific range at random each time you reboot the router.

problems occur and its sometimes essential to reboot the router or if your service provider reboots their cabinet then your ip address may change. not all the dynamic dns sites update automatically. so if it happens when youre abroad, you may lose connection till you get home

my ip camera is redirected so i can log in using my phone or an internet connection. but i need to reset the forwarding on occasions

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For a local backup I would recommend the QNAP 4 series NAS boxes.
The Older QNAP TS-412 is really excellent and there are a number of them flaoting about on ebay.

4 bay hotswap. Wack 4 x 4TB HDD's in there with raid 5 and you have 12TB of storage.

does loads more as well as NAS.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
For a local backup I would recommend the QNAP 4 series NAS boxes.
The Older QNAP TS-412 is really excellent and there are a number of them flaoting about on ebay.

4 bay hotswap. Wack 4 x 4TB HDD's in there with raid 5 and you have 12TB of storage.

does loads more as well as NAS.

I have local backup using the Home Server, daily backups (auto) plus True Image..

Its the second server, if I buy a server can I install say XP or Windows 7 or will ot require server specific software?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have local backup using the Home Server, daily backups (auto) plus True Image..

Its the second server, if I buy a server can I install say XP or Windows 7 or will ot require server specific software?

It comes with a full NAS+ server OS preinstalled.

If you want to do your own then you would need something else.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Oh dear, is it quarter past ripe banana already?:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun