1st proper motorhome purchased :) (1 Viewer)

Uncle Bob

Free Member
Nov 12, 2013
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi peeps, just drove back from Norfolk to north yorks in our 'new to us' camper :D
It's a 'non leaky' Kon Tiki with plenty of happy holidays left in her :Cool:
Looking to try a weekend at a local'ish CS soon! Sod the weather we got itchy feet! :)
Any do's or don'ts to help a smooth 1st time out? Any necessities we should not be without?
I know we need waste & water carriers but can't think of anything else that we haven't got.... Has anyone done a printable check list of what they consider the items they don't go without?
I know it's cold out there but we got plenty of gas and heaters ::bigsmile: and not far to go home if it all goes Pete tong!
Cheers all from a very excited Uncle Bob & Family :D

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
There's an extremely comprehensive one in the shop..

Congratulations on your new motorhome..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
would suggest a site with electric hook up (take a electric heater) and hard standing for this time of year. If its any help.........first time out so you don't forget things.when packing lay out food etc by meal and sort out what you will need to cook /eat it .....saucepan salt sauce knife and so on do this for each meal/drink and with a bit of luck you will not forget too much:ROFLMAO: above all relax and enjoy your new van:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
congratulations on your purchase, there is an extensive search facility on fun so have a good look around. there are so many suggestions and tips xxxx

enjoy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hi peeps, just drove back from Norfolk to north yorks in our 'new to us' camper :D
Looking to try a weekend at a local'ish CS soon! Sod the weather we got itchy feet! :)
Any do's or don'ts to help a smooth 1st time out? Any necessities we should not be without?
[HI]I know we need waste & water carriers [/HI]but can't think of anything else that we haven't got.... Has anyone done a printable check list of what they consider the items they don't go without?
I know it's cold out there but we got plenty of gas and heaters ::bigsmile: and not far to go home if it all goes Pete tong!

WHY ?? There will be tanks on-board?
Many on here have suggested spending a weekend on your own drive if you can. Excellent idea I believe. You will learn what to do and what you need.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
waste and water carriers arent a priority but a good hose pipe and tap adaptors are..

fill fresh tank on arrival, empty grey tank on departure.

if you need more fresh water then a 10ltr watering can is best option.....you dont want to be lifting a 30ltrs water carrier up to the filler point then spilling most of it as you pour.

a bucket for waste water is adequate.

both may require a couple of trips to the tap/drain but a watering can and bucket take up far less room than 2 dedicated carriers.

many sites/CS/CL allow emptying grey tanks in a hedge bottom....just ask where to empty and they'll tell you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob

Free Member
Nov 12, 2013
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Cheers peeps

It's little pearls of wisdom like this that make life less stressful ::bigsmile: setting the van up for a sleep over on the drive tonight then hopefully will try fri/sat away. It's not far for our eldest to scoot over if any 'extras' are required while on site
So I ain't going to worry about it I'm just going to go with the flow :wine:

Upvote 0

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
Congrats bob and co.....I find it useful to have a short electric lead, think its 10m as well as the standard longer one because if you can get away with the shorter its a lot easier to roll even on a windy reel thing, and then you can join them together too if you need extra long. I also have a thermos jug/kettle that i fill at home with boiling water so handy hot drink if you stop or when you get there....enjoy!!

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Uncle Bob, best bet is to do a couple of nights on your drive. You'll be popping back in the house all the time for things you need, stupid obscure things can catch you out. Razor, mustard, bottle opener, scissors, mobile charger etc. When 12 hours have passed and you've needed nothing from the house, it's probably safe to say you've cracked it:thumb: That said ... Link Removed :Smile:

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I know we need waste & water carriers but can't think of anything else that we haven't got.... Has anyone done a printable check list of what they consider the items they don't go without?
A good woman to keep the bed warm ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back