Parking restrictions (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Living in Scarborough/Filey, I seemed to remember the council placing overnight parking restrictions on mh. So whilst awaiting delivery of our new mh next spring, I thought I would check...and yes, signs saying no campervan parking from 23.00 until 07.00 hours.

I phoned Scarborough Borough Council, and a very helpful gentleman explained that they were only the enforcers....but the reasons were,
Complaints about rubbish being left
Complaints about Campervans parking in extra bays due to their size
And also that Blue Badge holders were using the car parks as camp sites, especially the Marine Drive.

North Yorkshire County Council set the rules, so time to contact them, I will keep you posted....

It maybe an old problem but is new to me.....

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
There is now a long stay car park in Lee st Withernsea, right at the bottom overlooking the sea.FREE. No facilities but great view . A couple of streets past Tesco,s going in .Seen a couple in Tesco,s and Aldi,s car park as well this summer ,one van in Aldi for two weeks and another family in the long stay for two weeks .Things seem to be looking up there.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Living in Scarborough/Filey, I seemed to remember the council placing overnight parking restrictions on mh. So whilst awaiting delivery of our new mh next spring, I thought I would check...and yes, signs saying no campervan parking from 23.00 until 07.00 hours.

I phoned Scarborough Borough Council, and a very helpful gentleman explained that they were only the enforcers....but the reasons were,
And also that Blue Badge holders were using the car parks as camp sites, especially the Marine Drive.

North Yorkshire County Council set the rules, so time to contact them, I will keep you posted....

If you search for Scarborough on here you will find plenty of threads.

Off street parking in Scarborough, Whitby and Filey is the responsibility of Scarborough Borough Council. Parking on street and at the park & rides is the responsibility of North Yorkshire Council. See entries HERE.

As you were told, the clamp down on overnighting is the result of abuse by some who thought restrictions didn't apply to them. See HERE for example.

Scarborough Borough did look at allowing overnighting in some car parks but came up against a long standing planning policy that had prevented private sites being opened. To have treated council land differently could have landed them in a legal mire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
If you search for Scarborough on here you will find plenty of threads.

Off street parking in Scarborough, Whitby and Filey is the responsibility of Scarborough Borough Council. Parking on street and at the park & rides is the responsibility of North Yorkshire Council. See entries HERE.

As you were told, the clamp down on overnighting is the result of abuse by some who thought restrictions didn't apply to them. See HERE for example.

Scarborough Borough did look at allowing overnighting in some car parks but came up against a long standing planning policy that had prevented private sites being opened. To have treated council land differently could have landed them in a legal mire.

I don't know when you were last updated, but the whole of North Yorkshire parking now comes under the jurisdiction of Scarborough Council due to restructuring of responsibilities within the area to "save money".
They have traffic wardens in Stokesley who have come from Scarborough, some 45 miles or so away.

Upvote 0

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie

I thought you lived in Yarmouth:whatthe:????? Or am I having a senior moment:Doh:??

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know when you were last updated, but the whole of North Yorkshire parking now comes under the jurisdiction of Scarborough Council due to restructuring of responsibilities within the area to "save money".
They have traffic wardens in Stokesley who have come from Scarborough, some 45 miles or so away.

That's just the enforcement side :Smile: See Civil Parking Enforcement Link Removed.

Responsibility for the actual making of TROs still lies with the districts for off street car parks and the county for on street.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
In have a couple of small hotels in Great Yarmouth, which I am trying to sell, but live in Filey....::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
didnt do a very thorough job of that then did they....Scarborough's still chocker with parking enforcement officers.

traffic wardens all died out, along with the black horsehair uniforms and yellow hat bands, when the police handed parking enforcement to local councils.

our officers now look like extra's from Hill Street Blues :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
didnt do a very thorough job of that then did they....Scarborough's still chocker with parking enforcement officers.

traffic wardens all died out, along with the black horsehair uniforms and yellow hat bands, when the police handed parking enforcement to local councils.

Where I'm from we still call 'em traffic wardens, even if they do look like really scruffy coppers. :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
didnt do a very thorough job of that then did they....[HI]Scarborough's still chocker with parking enforcement officers.[/HI]

Just be grateful they're looking after you John :roflmto::roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back