Motorhome Vs Caravan (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
We have just purchased our motorhome and have been away in it about 3 or 4 times. Whenever we have been away we always find the same problem with driving it round towns and finding parking places. Not to mention the 22 mpg we get. I wonder if it would be better to have a caravan and leave it on site and make it easier to drive round towns etc using our car.

I know the answer may be towing a car behind the motorhome, but we may just as well tow a caravan. We've never had a caravan do don't know the pros and cons.

We love our motorhome, but feel that at certain times its a tad inconvenient. Can anyone give me a knockout reason why a motorhome is better than a caravan. I'm sure this must have been debated before but can't see anything on the website.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
caravans are a far cheaper option for most people and theres pros and cons for both. motorhoming certainly doesnt suit all

caravans entail a lot more setting up and you cant just pop out for the evening in one to enjoy a nice sunset whilst eating a meal on the seafront. also towing a caravan can be stressful and tiring after a long journey. with a caravan its harder to pull into a layby for a short sleep or cup of tea

on the plus side a caravan gives you a base to return to after exploring an area

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
it isnt necessarily better :Eeek: its depends on what you want and how you see your travelling patterns going.

A caravan is likely to suit better if you like to stay in one place for a week or more at a time and want to drive everywhere you visit once on site. so you may park up on site and sight see 20 - 50 miles away.

a motorhome is more suitable for hopping around and easier for short stays.

most carry some form of other transport, bikes , electric bikes, scooters, even as you say small cars.

we like the ease of travelling with the motorhome and lack of hassle when arriving / departing from site. but we love to walk, and carry electric bike for the occasional jaunt.

you need to find what suits you.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It all really depends how you want to use your vehicle(s). When we bought our first van we never even realised there would be parking problems - until one busy Saturday morning in Beverley, hence www.motorhomeparking.co.uk :Smile:

Since that time, though, we have actually found little trouble with parking. The reason is probably that when we are camped somewhere we walk or use public transport. Even when staying at a meet/THS for just a few days it is rare that we use the van on a daily basis.

Happily we are fit enough to do that. If there comes a day when we do need a car to get around on holiday then, much as we like the MH, we will probably go for a caravan rather than have to give up altogether.

At the end of the day it all depends what suits you, nobody else. The variety of vehicles (including caravans) at Fun meets sometimes has to be seen to be believed. It doesn't matter one jot what people sleep in :Smile:

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We changed from a caravan to a motorhome. In the last 6 years we have never had a problem with parking. Twice we have took the bus and and on occasion used the park and ride.
You may have to park a little further away than with a car but i have always found somewhere within walking distance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
I think one of the problems we have is we have two dogs so it's not easy getting on public transport and with being new to the size of the motorhome some of the small streets and parking areas are quite daunting.

I think it's just going to be a matter of getting used to it. We are seriously considering fitting a tow bar for a small car.

We haven't been abroad yet but are looking forward to going to France next year perhaps that will give us a better experience with the motorhome.

Thanks to everyone who replied.:thumb:

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We have seen caravans disappear from sites later being told they were stolen and have seen people who have genuinely bought a caravan only to be turfed out of it by police because it has been stolen and illegally sold on.

I personally think with motorhomes there are far more checks that can be done, better security and its sturdier ie not so likely to turn over on the motorway.

Our old motorhome was just over 17ft our new one is 26ft, we take up two bays in the supermarket but usually manage to get parked wherever we go and if we cant find somewhere legal we just speak to the local council who usually either give us a dispensation to park or advise us on alternatives.

Carrying pushbikes or mopeds etc work for some people

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I think you have to adopt a different mindset with a motorhome over a caravan. They may both offer the outdoors in a comfortable environment, but the way they deliver is different.

Personally, caravans leave me cold. I think a motorhome has more style, soul and presence and it's great to just stop and be ready instantly.

Sure, if all you want to do is keep the 'van in one place then a caravan makes more sense, but I love the ability to tour that a motorhome better lends itself to.

As for economy... My motorhome gets 20mpg and my car gets 17mpg. Fuel costs really don't bother me compared to the enjoyment I get out if it.

But like others have said, it's what suits you that matters. Rent a caravan for comparison if you're really unsure.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
motrhome/caravan

We have just purchased our motorhome and have been away in it about 3 or 4 times. Whenever we have been away we always find the same problem with driving it round towns and finding parking places. Not to mention the 22 mpg we get. I wonder if it would be better to have a caravan and leave it on site and make it easier to drive round towns etc using our car.

I know the answer may be towing a car behind the motorhome, but we may just as well tow a caravan. We've never had a caravan do don't know the pros and cons.

We love our motorhome, but feel that at certain times its a tad inconvenient. Can anyone give me a knockout reason why a motorhome is better than a caravan. I'm sure this must have been debated before but can't see anything on the website.

Our motorhome is a 6.3 mtr A class, big enough inside to be very comfortable but small enough outside to be fairly easy to park. We have only rarely had problems finding space in town centre car parks, we usually get on fine. we have often seen larger motorhomes that would obviously have problems getting on some aires/sites let alone supermarket or town car parks and these often have cars in tow, sometimes motorbikes on the back.

We are happy with our size which enables fairly easy parking and access to most places. For us the main problem with caravans is that you have to go back to where you left it that morning after you have had your day out, for the same reason we don't pull a car. We also like to have all our home comforts with us and the ability to move on easily. at any time. I suppose one of the greatest reasons to prefer a motorhome is touring in Europe. We are away in Europe for at least four months a year and that's where the motorhome is king.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I think one of the problems we have is we have two dogs so it's not easy getting on public transport and with being new to the size of the motorhome some of the small streets and parking areas are quite daunting.

I think it's just going to be a matter of getting used to it. We are seriously considering fitting a tow bar for a small car.

We haven't been abroad yet but are looking forward to going to France next year perhaps that will give us a better experience with the motorhome.

if you are using mainly caravan club sites you will in most cases be miles from most places ( there are a few exceptions to this ) and you will notice the need for additional travel more. we have certainly found it to be less so in Europe.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
I think I'm sold on the motorhome, it's why I bought one in the first place. I also like the style of it. I lived in America for a few years and over there it's mostly motorhomes.

Also as you say petrol cost really isn't a problem when you take into account the enjoyment of being able to tour around especially with two dogs in tow.

:Smile:

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

If you're basing somewhere for two weeks, take a caravan, as you can do your daytrips in the car.

If you like to do a grand tour, take a motorhome, as you will be somewhere different every day, so setting up and taking down a caravan is a chore, your daytrips will be with a caravan in tow and so even less convenient than with a motorhome, and you won't be able to use free/cheap aires.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

Wow 22MPG

That's great

I get about 10 MPG

You don't buy a motor home to get great MPG
You buy it to get the best living accommodation on wheels. And live with the cost
Or may be you should not have one if the costs are above your budget
I am lucky. I can budget on £2000.00 per year on fuel costs

I live full time in my 36 foot RV. With slide out
A real 5star accommodation. All mod cons plus a few extras

If I had to worry about its economy I should not own it

Caravans are cheaper. There is one simple reason for this. They are not as good as motorhomes

Buy a bike a tent and you'll get moon miles per gallon. No comfort. No frills
But as you say. The 22MPG. Would not be an issue :thumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We caravanned for 20 years and really enjoyed it. However, when the kids no longer came with us we began to tour more with the caravan, staying only two or three nights at each place. Eventually it occurred to us that what we were doing now was more suited to a motorhome, so we changed. Never looked back. Now we do our touring on the way to a site instead of basing ourselves somewhere.

The difference is in the setting up and setting off, the caravan took 45 minutes, plus the awning, the motorhome only 5 or 10 minutes.

You must look carefully at what it is you want to do. The last year we had a caravan getting to the South of France was a real bore, now, with the motorhome it is much more enjoyable, and fun!

Rgds
Bill

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

Maybe a static caravan on a site would suit you more than the motorhome
There are great deals on this site
www.hagenleasure.co.uk

Sales. Director. Sue sue@hagensleasure.co.uk
I am sure they will take your thirsty gas guzzling motorhome in part ex :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have a 5th wheel outfit, and it is proving to be a good buy for us. A 6 seat truck, and a 31ft trailer with slide out, gives us masses of living space, with all the comforts of home. And the truck running on lpg, is not as expensive to run as you may think. The best of both worlds, for us.

Craig

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Wow 22MPG

That's great

I get about 10 MPG

You don't buy a motor home to get great MPG
You buy it to get the best living accommodation on wheels. And live with the cost
Or may be you should not have one if the costs are above your budget
I am lucky. I can budget on £2000.00 per year on fuel costs

I live full time in my 36 foot RV. With slide out
A real 5star accommodation. All mod cons plus a few extras

If I had to worry about its economy I should not own it

Caravans are cheaper. There is one simple reason for this. They are not as good as motorhomes

Buy a bike a tent and you'll get moon miles per gallon. No comfort. No frills
But as you say. The 22MPG. Would not be an issue :thumb:

the OP asks for advice on problems getting about towns in his motorhome and parking, also could anyone give him a knockout reason why a motorhome is better than a caravan

comments questioning his finances compared to others; or a simple statement that motorhomes are better because they cost more come across as a little demeaning as does telling him to buy a bike and a tent :Doh:

Upvote 0

Rolo

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Leyland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10+

Prior to becoming motorhomers we had caravans, and yes once you get them on site they are OK for a base to do whatever you want to do. However we found that we would only use the caravan for main holidays and the occasional weekend away... If we were lucky that was 4 times a year. We have been motorhoming for well over 6 years now and quite honestly I can say we would never go back to a caravan again ! The freedom of the motorhome cannot be equalled. We have travelled throughout England, Scotland, Wales and the continent seeing and experiencing things we could only dreaming of doing with a caravan.
Take a trip over to Germany and go down the Mosel valley get chatting to other motorhomers, take in the atmosphere on a Stellplatz and enjoy you van.:thumb: There has not been a month gone by without us having been away at least twice. Even if it is a day trip to the seaside, or up to the lakes. Try doing that in a caravan.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We caravanned for 20 years and really enjoyed it. However, when the kids no longer came with us we began to tour more with the caravan, staying only two or three nights at each place. Eventually it occurred to us that what we were doing now was more suited to a motorhome, so we changed. Never looked back. Now we do our touring on the way to a site instead of basing ourselves somewhere.

The difference is in the setting up and setting off, the caravan took 45 minutes, plus the awning, the motorhome only 5 or 10 minutes.

You must look carefully at what it is you want to do. The last year we had a caravan getting to the South of France was a real bore, now, with the motorhome it is much more enjoyable, and fun!

Rgds

Bill

My thoughts exactly.
I also tugged for 20 year and changing to the MH was the best move we have made.
I have to say we have found it much easier to tour in France and Spain using the Aires there.

Whatever you do........Enjoy it:thumb:
Regards
John

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our opinion-

UK holidays, motorhomes are a mare.
Continental holidays, motorhomes rule!:thumb:

Simples!

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I agree with all what the other Funsters have said...it's a different mind set...if you intend to be static a lot of the time ..then a caravan is for you.....if touring is what you are looking for then a motorhome...also in the UK we have never had a problem parking (up till the present time)...but we do live in France and that is one of the best places to motorhome...easy parking plenty of places to stop....
Don't forget in a motorhome I can just stop and use the toilet or shower any place I want to..middle of a town a shopping complex outside somebody's house....I can just pull up any where and have lunch/coffee or a 3 coarse meal....in fact have a nap:RollEyes::winky::winky:... you see when motorhoming it's freedom...you do not have to keep returning back to base.like having a ball and chain...you move on or stop for the night or two.. owning a motorhome is a lot more expensive than a caravan...but for us (who tugged many years ago ) would never think of going backwards a motorhome has toooo many advantages for us......:thumb:
There are places in the UK to park...... if not come to France for a holiday::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Motorhome-v-caravan

:RollEyes::winky::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I agree with all what the other Funsters have said...it's a different mind set...if you intend to be static a lot of the time ..then a caravan is for you.....if touring is what you are looking for then a motorhome...also in the UK we have never had a problem parking (up till the present time)...but we do live in France and that is one of the best places to motorhome...easy parking plenty of places to stop....
Don't forget in a motorhome I can just stop and use the toilet or shower any place I want to..middle of a town a shopping complex outside somebody's house....I can just pull up any where and have lunch/coffee or a 3 coarse meal....in fact have a nap:RollEyes::winky::winky:... you see when motorhoming it's freedom...you do not have to keep returning back to base.like having a ball and chain...you move on or stop for the night or two.. owning a motorhome is a lot more expensive than a caravan...but for us (who tugged many years ago ) would never think of going backwards a motorhome has toooo many advantages for us......:thumb:
There are places in the UK to park...... if not come to France for a holiday::bigsmile:

Work out your Petrol / Diesel towing..which is normaly much more money.. less MPG...then add you Mpg going to places and returning back to base on top of what it cost you getting to your base in the first place....for me it would be One journey there....then move on .....And as I understand there a lot more regulations on the horizon for caravans:Eeek::Doh:
Also pulling up on a site when its raining blowing a gale and you are having to uncouple:Eeek:....wind your legs down, get water..Brrrrrrr

Also in France you do not.. or should not.. use any aires...that is one disadvantage ...unless you intend stopping in Wales...then a caravan is fine...

What made you buy a motorhome...why did you change in the first place...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Tugged for 30 years then changed toi a MH. Miss the use of car and awning but don't miss £30pn.
We did France this year, meandered down over a week to Royan.
Don't like where you are ? turn key and go.
Spent 2 weeks on aire at Montilevet, €5 pn ! He called for payment 8 nights in 15 !
Solar panel doing the business, 100 yds to beach. Moved off then back every 4 days to change water and get fresh for free, ½ mile away !

Just me and she and the dog so we do as we want. When we had the kids the caravan was the better choice.

The aires in France are a bit crowded but I don't do peace and solitude anyway. We met established friends then made new friends of Germans, French, Belgians and other English. We surfed together, we sat on beach together, sat around together and had a great time.

So if you go to France, be prepared to get close to your neighbours.
Mine's the white one !!

Attachments

• P1060856.jpg
    P1060856.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

You will find the size of the motorhome after a few trips will feel not much bigger than your car....and you will be parking it in car park spaces you never dreamed of TRUST ME:thumb:..it just practice ....give it a bit of time...don't give in yet:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Work out your Petrol / Diesel towing..which is normaly much more money.. less MPG...then add you Mpg going to places and returning back to base on top of what it cost you getting to your base in the first place....for me it would be One journey there....then move on .....And as I understand there a lot more regulations on the horizon for caravans:Eeek::Doh:
Also pulling up on a site when its raining blowing a gale and you are having to uncouple:Eeek:....wind your legs down, get water..Brrrrrrr

Also in France you do not.. or should not.. use any aires...that is one disadvantage ...unless you intend stopping in Wales...then a caravan is fine...

What made you buy a motorhome...why did you change in the first place...

We didn't have a caravan went straight to a motorhome, so had no previous experience.

I thought I might open up a bit of a debate. I might go over to a caravan web site and start one over there. I'm sure I'll get much the same passionate answer.

Also to person that said to get a tent, I don't have a problem with affording a motorhome, I'm a Scotsman and every penny is a prisoner, ask my wife. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
I know what you mean about parking. You have been used to just jumping into a car and knowing you can go anywhere with it..Now you may need to forward plan a bit but that will become easier and less of a chore the more you do it. I don't have a huge van in comparison to some its about 21' long but I do tend to shy away from town centres unless of course it is a through route to somewhere. :ROFLMAO: I have had the van a while now but its not been used for that type of travelling. I mostly go to shows with it where there is loads of room for manoevering. Its strange really because I can handle it ok I can reverse it ok through my little gateway at home its just the apprehension of taking it into the unknown that makes me think I would prefer to use a park and ride or just take a bus or train into town rather than have the stress of can I cant I get the damn thing in that space :Eeek: There are quite a lot of helpful sites that would point you to suitable car parks with street views etc if you are ok with modern technology. I have recently been given AA GOLD membership :thumb: acquired after years of great expense and faithful service:ROFLMAO: It has an app that finds exactly where you are and shows the nearest car parks. I think it will be very helpful to me so mabe there is hope for me yet :thumb: time will tell :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back