Foam needed to secure saucepans etc (1 Viewer)

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Hi I'm looking for some of that high density foam stuff you see in instrument cases with slots cut in where bits fit. My idea is to store my saucepans and a few bits in a space under the bed. Anyone know the best place to buy from

Any tips on how to cut the shapes out accurately and neatly?

Gary

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Our outdoor market has a stall that sells all different kinds of foam ... it comes under upholstery and padding stall ... but I bought some for my camera case. There are all different thicknesses.

As for cutting it .. that was the problem. I used a stanley knife and a sharp kitchen knife.

There may be a googled upholstery site..

Don't know if that helps.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
wrap the pans in plastic then place in a box. when arranged as wanted spray in expanding polyeurothane foam. when set remove items and discard plastic then sand openings to suit:ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Open your cupboard and spray expanding foam in to it, then get a knife and cut out slots and shapes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
We use non slip matting on the shelf and between pans £0.99 per roll but use 25mm cushion foam from local dig for other items such us tea pot coffee pot I drew round items under cut out holes with a length off heated wire (need protective gloves)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Open your cupboard and spray expanding foam in to it, then get a knife and cut out slots and shapes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: we need to do that for the whole van! Our air ride thingy went a bit wrong in France, we both were fearing for our fillings by the end of the holiday!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
With the double skillet we only need one small saucepan.
We use a couple of muggi 's for mugs.. Neoprene glass sleeves for glasses and the plates stack in their own racks (from berger in germany)
We use a collection of soft plastic baskets for most other stuff.. And of course.. Tea towels

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Yup, non-slip m,atting really works for me! Excellent stuff, use it on all shelves and things just stay put.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Many thanks for all the replys. I need to store the saucepans under the bed as locker space is limited in the kitchen of my new motorhome. Currently they are still in the box but wanted to try this instead

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
what about buying the foam that florists use for flower arrangements. make the holes and then spray or coat the foam so it doesnt wear away? I think its called floral foam.

Its easy to cut and you can press stuff into it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Gazza

In previous motorhomes we used to store our food under the bed (heavy tins etc) and put the lighter pans in the cupboards, perhaps having a re-think of the space might help? In our current PVC I've completely re-assigned the storage space from it's intended purpose to have a much more 'sensible' use of space, for example the cupboard under our hob meant for food isn't the easiest thing to retrieve items from, so instead the bottom of it is used to store shoes, and the upper half dog food and bulky packets of grub. As we don't need to hang clothes (and they take up too much room anyway if you do) I've shelved out our wardrobe and that is my 'pantry' and pan store (easily accessible). The TV cupboard which is above our hob is now my cup, glasses, jugs, gravy tubs, spices etc store. It really does work very well ... so maybe have a re-think?

Attachments

• 8 - Wardrobe shelves.JPG
    8 - Wardrobe shelves.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 10 - Wardrobe door.JPG
    10 - Wardrobe door.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 12 - TV cupboard shelf.JPG
    12 - TV cupboard shelf.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 32
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Another vote for non-slip matting. The advantage of that is you're free to change pans / contents to suit.

I've found the double skillet quite handy already for our first weekend away. I supplement this with a thermal cooker which gives me one huge deep lidded pot and a smaller one inside that.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
My saucepan set is in a small coolbag. So is my slow cooker, DVD player, TV, hotplate, and the toaster was till I ditched it as taking up space and not being used. No rattles, and damage limitation when moving things around. You can get all sorts of different shaped coolbags to fit things, pound shops are a good source.

I use the non-slip matting stuff and plastic baskets in overhead lockers (when I have them - none in current van).

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Tugged caravans for 30 years, never once heard a rattle. Bought a MH.
The noise, the creaking, the rattles. Drove us mad. There was always one or two we couldn't locate.
Turned out to be glass hob top and grill tray.
Then we could hear another rattle, turned out to be sliding door for washroom. Get the occasional creak now and again but have learned to ignore.
Usually stop when contents of cupboards make a bid for freedom though.
Rattles cured by ample use of 99p anti-slip matting and tea-cloths.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back