Rabies jab (1 Viewer)

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Dogs need another rabies jab.

I hate having to take them to the vet for that.

My dogs are only small Bichon Frise and are given the exact same dose as the biggest dog there is.:cry:

I think the mother of my 2 Bichon was damaged by the rabies jab.

She was extremely poorly for a couple of years after having had it.

Her immune system just gave up and we had to have her put to sleep last year:cry::cry: She was only 11 and a half years old:cry:

If I had a choice I wouldn't get them done........ But they always come on holiday with us so we must.

I did phone DEFRA to ask if they could just have a blood test to see if they still had immunity from rabies.........
........but, NO unfortunately they have to be inoculated again.

I am sure if they had a blood test, they would still be immune.:cry:

With all other medication administered by a vet, the amount given is based on the weight of the dog.

It is overkill to give small dogs the same amount as large dogs.

Question for those of you Funsters that take your dogs abroad.

Does your dog have a problem with immune system after having had the rabies jab?

Is your dog large or small?

Does your dog have no problems at all after jab?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Jack russell to greyhounds - no problems at all, think us 'lucky' in europe they have the jab anually as a matter of course - over here its our choice happen we want to take our pets with us on holiday to europe

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Two retrievers, no problem. don't know but, is the booster as strong as the first rabies shot. Probably worth finding out for your littleuns.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had it done for yonks with our dogs, who have mainly been small ones, we even had a 14 year old cross jack russell done with a subsequent booster with no adverse affects whatsoever.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
No problems with our two dogs, although they are (were) bigger than Bichons - corgi size and labrador size.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
No problem with my German Shepard/Border Collie X. Now 7 years old and travelled from 6 months.
No problem with my previous dogs a Border Collie and a King Charles Cavalier.

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
rabies

we've had no problems with any of our dogs over the years but they are the larger dogs GSDs.:thumb:
The cat as also not had any problems with the rabies jabs and she is now getting quite elderly.
There used to be a problem with some pets a few years ago when the tick treatment for the return home used to be by injection.
Alan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no problem for us.

we go away to get away from daily responsibilities and chores...including looking after the three dogs.

nearest they get to going with us is shows and meets.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
no problem with our small fox terrier.

No problem with our four fox terriers either (with rabies jabs). However all have been to vets today to get yearly boosters for parvovirus etc and Maeve has had the most spectacular exorcist type vomiting this evening! Washing machine doing overtime as bed clothes, bath mats and towels all were hit along with carpet in bedroom, stairs and living room:cry:

She seems ok now and cannot possibly have anything left inside to be sick on.

Oh the joystick of dog ownership and just hope they all sleep all night tonight and I don't have a four am walking session! :shout:

Kath

OP
OP
lesleyjean

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Thank you for replying.

You have all put my mind at rest.

Dogs have appointment on 2nd of December.

Feel so much better now, glad I posted:Smile:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Rabies jab never made Susie sick (6lb yorkie) but I'm convinced it made her nastier.
She was brilliant with other dogs until around 6months after the jab, then she used to snap and bite at other dogs.
When in her final year we couldn't give her the booster due to her heart condition (the vet said) it seemed to wear off and she got friendly again with other dogs after nearly 3 years of being nasty to them.
Don't know if it is a coincidence but I am convinced it was the jab.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Never had a problem with my dogs having the rabies jab, not here in the Uk or in South Africa when I lived there (annual rabies jab) - all size dogs, big and small. :Smile:

they're all just as nutty as they've ever been - perhaps something to do with the owner? :ROFLMAO: (I mean me before you jump to conclusions! :Blush: )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back