LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Thinking of getting Gaslow fitted to our van when we get it. I've been reading up a bit on Gaslow and quite fancy the idea. However, from what I can gather, Autogas is a mix of propane and butane of varying quantities so my question is can the butane still freeze? What's the solution/ work around? So is Gaslow worth it?
Thanks in advance.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do it, it's brilliant. Easy DIY.

The gas mix is just a theoretical problem I think, if it freezes in Gaslow it freezes in a car/van so maybe the mix is adjusted according to season. I've never heard of any freezing problems.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i think youve answered your own question, auto gas is used in cars and they dont have freeze problems that i am aware of. and you will be using autogas.

i pondered for a long while and finally bit the bullet . one of my better decisions i think, but i only fitted one 11kg bottle and kept a calor light second bottle for 2 reasons;

1. in UK if i am stuck for an autogas station i have a back up.. ( not been needed as yet :Doh: )
2. in Europe if i cant get autogas i can fit the adapter i carry and fit a local bottle.:thumb:

you wont justify it on cost savings, but on convenience :thumb:

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Go for it.

We change to the gas-it system just before going to France for 2 weeks. We pondered the whys and wherefores for months, but finally decided when my friend was told by her husband the day before they were due to go on holiday that they need a new gas bottle. Off she went to get one and on getting it out of the car boot, she dropped it on her foot and broke her toe! Still went on holiday but limped everywhere! Poor girl.

I had also got fed up with doing the maths, trying to work out how much we had left.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you could also consider an under slung gas tank if you have the space below which also free,s up the storage space in the gas locker

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
ps; we bought the Gasit system its cheaper than gaslow and the same.( except its red not yellow ) if you want light weight its autogas 2000.

its a piece a cake to DIY fit

Upvote 0

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I have just fitted Gas it system (same as gaslow but cheaper) had it in my last van would not be without it dead easy to fill saves all the fuffing about with spanners changing cylinders and worrying whether theres enough in the cylinder to see you through holiday etc:thumb:

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I've never had it but it's always been in my plans to have fitted. And it's my joint next thing to have done.

The clincher is that I've yet to find anyone saying they've regretted having it fitted.

So, yes, go for it. :thumb:

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Fitted it to our van in Febuary and worth every penny, we went for the gasit from Autogas 2000 you will see their add on the right of the home page on here. You get a discount for being a fun member and great service.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Had under slung tank with traffic light readout,full/empty,had gas-low and Safe-fill. Having under slung tank again this time,there have been reports about trouble filling the bottles,if not connected to a proper filler on the coach work,i had NO trouble myself,but for ease of use,knowing how much is left in the tank,plus the extra storage space,this is the way for us. Hope this helps,you can also,sell it on,or have it refitted to your next unit,same as the cylinders.
Tea Bag
PS. I still have two Safe Fill,one full,the other part full,they are of no use to me,so will be going to a car boot in the spring.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had it since 2009 and wouldn't change back to a standard bottle now. We just have one 11kg cylinder which suits us fine - we wild camp all the time and did nearly 7 weeks in Germany/France and had no problem filling it with Autogas however we also did 4 weeks in Ireland and found it was much less available there so if we spotted it we got it! In the UK there are lots of places you can get it.

Installing it is simplicity itself, not that much different really to changing a standard cylinder, the only 'tricky' bit is deciding where to put the filling point and then fitting it ... if you want to put it in the MH side panel you might get the shivers at the thought of having to cut a big hole in the side! I put ours inside the gas locker itself on a bracket so no problem there, and despite what some have said about 'others' having problems when wanting to refill it (whoever the 'others' are!) we have NEVER been refused permission and we've used it a lot since 2009!!!

We did consider an underslung gas tank but at around 3 times the cost of a similar sized 11kg refillable bottle system we thought better of it! :RollEyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Thinking of getting Gaslow fitted to our van when we get it. I've been reading up a bit on Gaslow and quite fancy the idea. However, from what I can gather, Autogas is a mix of propane and butane of varying quantities so my question is can the butane still freeze? What's the solution/ work around? So is Gaslow worth it?
Thanks in advance.

Don't think about it if you can afford it get it :thumb: I had an underslung tank fitted and its brillant being able to fill up at a pump, no lifiting and changing bottles and the bonus is its cheaper, filled up 3 weeks ago at 67p per litre, one of the better decisions I made:yeah:

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Gaslow

I'm only adding to the general views expressed. We had our Gaslow tanks fitted in August 2012 (2 11kg tanks) and they seem to last forever and are so cheap to fill it is unbelievable, not to mention the avoidance of having to lug huge heavy bottles around. It really used to frustrate me when, having bought the lighter weight red bottles I'd find the supplier had run out of those and I had to settle for heavier replacements. No more of that. Go for it. NOT CHEAP, but well worth it in the long run!:thumb:

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
To answer the specific questions in the OP:
Autogas in the UK is around 97% propane so no need to worry. The butane element will get vapourised along with the butane and be burned so no need to worry about it.
Butane does not freeze until very low temperatures are acchieved, its boiling point is around 2 deg C so what happens is that below that temperature it will not turn from liquid to vapour, simple as that.

D.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
take it from me you will never look back best thing I ever done we have never looked back and never run out of gas your never far from auto gas point we just top up wen ever theirs a auto gas point when we fill up with diesel we love it

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Minx.(Re Filling)
As stated,i have had NO ! trouble filling cylinders,even when having to open the locker door,however,i was just passing on information about well documented evidence of people being refused at certain supermarkets in France.
This can be found on posts on MHF.( WITH NAMES) There are supposed to be instructions on who/what can fill be filled,and as usual it is down to the forecourt operator.

Now,did i tell you about being gassed at....................:whatthe:
Tea Bag

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We had ours fitted last month by Autogas 2000 in Thirsk , I wish I had done it sooner. They were really helpful and showed me how to fill up and how to use different pumps/adapters when abroad. We have one 11kg bottle which is aluminium so extremely light so we can carry more wine!

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Gaslow

It's a definite YES from me. Just make sure you have adapters for France, Spain etc. don't forget to turn off when refilling!

Upvote 0

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

I echo all the positive views on the re-fillable gas systems. Started off having underslung gas tank fitted to our first m/hme by Autogas 2000 in 1996. Due to the low Alko chassis on the following three vans, have opted for the re-fillable bottles with the connecting points fitted in the outside coachwork of the vans. I don"t think I can really remember the procedure for swapping bottles in "the old way".

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Do it, it's brilliant. Easy DIY.

The gas mix is just a theoretical problem I think, if it freezes in Gaslow it freezes in a car/van so maybe the mix is adjusted according to season. I've never heard of any freezing problems.

When you say Easy, Brian ... do you mean me easy or will it cost me a fortune to have it done?:Smile: (This is a genuine question):Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back