May 20, 2008
Bletchley, Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two and half years
Hi,

A couple of years ago we bought a new Swift Suntor 590PR complete with a Fiamma Awning which was already fitted. The next year we bought a Fiamma privacy room specifically designed for our awning. Once we figured out how to put it up (Fiamma only supply photo’s. They used to give you a DVD, but not any more!) we found we could only open the habitation door a couple of inches. To get the awning arm high enough to clear the door, the front panel was off the floor. There should be at least a foot of skirt on the floor, so you can imagine how high it was and how stupid it looked? The only way round it was to move the offending awning arm right to the end of the cassette case.

We spoke to the company we bought from (I won’t mention their name as we’re just about to go into dispute) and they told us to go back to them and show us how we were erecting it, as we were obviously doing it wrong. Another 200 mile round trip! Luckily en route we went to the Peterborough Show. We spoke to Fiamma and they told us Swift had raised the height of the door and we needed to move both arms to avoid stress. We cancelled our booking with the company we bought from.

We didn’t use it again until the Peterborough Show this year. We put it up in record time and it looked great. Problem was that we could get the awning back in. We kept adjusting it, but it kept twisting. We even measured someone elses and set ours to the same position, but it still twisted. We managed to force it in eventually. We toured around the East coast for a while and didn’t go near the awning.

We booked into a good site in Clacton for 8 days and put the room up again. To be on the safe side, we took it down the day before we moved on. Same problem! With the help of a fellow camper, athough it took a while, with loads of measuring and marking we husband managed to get it in correctly.

Sorry this is so long winded, but has anyone else had this problem? Fiamma have told us it shouldn’t have been sold to us. I rang the company we bought from and the chap said we had opened a can of worms and that we shouldn't have moved anything. When I asked how we were supposed to get into the van, he said if they knew we were going to add a room on, they would have put Hymer brackets on the awning to lift it a bit. Surely if an awning, is fitted, you have to assume a front and/or sides could be added. He also said that we should set the arms at the same measurement as the other end. Wrong!! The 2 sections of the arms are different lengths.

I am waiting to hear from the company we bought from, but I don't hold out much hope. :Sad:

Cheers

MOB2

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It would appear from your story that if swift have raised the height of the door then only two things or either one of them has caused your problems.
1 the awningitself has been incorrectly fitted
2. you have been sold the wrong awning for the vehicle.try to refrain from getting to many opinions as they are all sure to differ,
May I recomend you contact a member on here, Peter at Johncross motorhomes See Add to right of screen or PM Peter direct as they are both Swift and Fiamma agents, I hope that is not who supplied you:Doh:
Geo

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
May I recomend you contact a member on here, Peter at Johncross motorhomes See Add to right of screen or PM Peter direct as they are both Swift and Fiamma agents, I hope that is not who supplied you:Doh:
Geo

Dear Geo,

If it had been us we would have sorted it, by looks of it she has already spoken to Darren at Peterborough.

Best thing is to give Darren a ring on 01-580-881288 and arrange for the MH to come to us and we will see what needs doing to make it all fit.

Regards

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MOB2

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Bletchley, Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two and half years
Hi,

Thanks Peter. We are waiting to hear from the company we bought both items (and our Motorhome) from. They have 28 days to reply and I posted the letter by Recorded Delivery on 28th June, so we will see. I will keep you posted. Sorry for the pun......

MOB2

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
You have seen the Specsaver Advert, well here is one for you.

You Should Have Gone To OMNISTORE.:ROFLMAO:

Or whats the other one.

Looks Good, Feels Good, it must be OMNISTORE.:ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You have seen the Specsaver Advert, well here is one for you.

You Should Have Gone To OMNISTORE.:ROFLMAO:

Or whats the other one.

Looks Good, Feels Good, it must be OMNISTORE.:ROFLMAO:

Nope..............can of Heineken, reaches the parts others cant!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
(I think)

OP
OP
M

MOB2

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Bletchley, Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two and half years
Problem with Fiamma Privacy Room on Swift Suntor

Hi,

We have finally solved the problem with the awning/privacy room on our Suntor.

After much discussion, Browhill's removed the awning and fitted some brackets normally used on Hymers for much the same problem. They put the awning back and now the door clears the arm when the awning is set to the correct height for the room to be fitted. We've only just tried it as we only had it altered in late October. We have not actually fitted the room yet. We will do that on our first trip out next month.

Thankfully, this was all done F.O.C.

Will let you know if it is still satisfactory with the room fitted.

OP
OP
M

MOB2

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Bletchley, Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two and half years
Problem with Suntor/Fiamma Privacy Room

Problem now sorted. The room was really easy to put up (although we can't get used to opening the door fully). There was a problem with the seal in a couple of places and water poured in in a couple of places when it rained. We've now re-sealed it and everything is fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back