problem getting travel insurance (1 Viewer)

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
my wife had her first angina attack December 07 and had a stint fitted February 08
and is now fine. as any one experienced this problem
can any one recommend a travel insurance company please .
we are chopping at the bit now to go to france .thanks :thumb:

V

vanessa

Deleted User
If you're only coming to France, try exclusive healthcare.com. They don't ask health questions, only age (and will insure ANY age), what's more, they take the EHIC into account, so premiums are usually pretty good.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you should be able to get travel insurance almost anywhere, dependant on age ect, but no-one will cover for existing medical problems or associated complications.:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you're only coming to France, try exclusive healthcare.com. They don't ask health questions, only age (and will insure ANY age), what's more, they take the EHIC into account, so premiums are usually pretty good.

bet they dont pay out either. how can any insurance company insure you without knowing your health background.:Doh:

sound like an easy way to get your custom to me.

V

vanessa

Deleted User
That's my whole point, PappaJohn, exclusive healthcare WILL cover existing conditions.

Originally set-up as an English-speaking top-up insurance company for those living in France, they extended their cover last year to give holiday insurance too. I use them for my parents now. Previous years, Saga would cover them, but it cost somewhere around 600 quid for a fortnight ... now they won't cover oldies (only people up to something like 65 or 70).

Exclusive WILL. My dad has unstable heart conditions, high BP, angina, early stages of dementia, etc etc, and is 84. Mum is OK, just high-ish BP and is registered blind. Last year's cover for THREE weeks was less than 100 quid from what I remember. Huge difference, and no reading out long lists of drugs etc.

French top-up insurance (which is what you need really, as you already have the EHIC - new-style E111) is not allowed to ask about existing conditions, it has to cover you for everything. Various packages available, as with most cover firms.

Get online and have a look.

V

vanessa

Deleted User
bet they dont pay out either. how can any insurance company insure you without knowing your health background.:Doh:

sound like an easy way to get your custom to me.

Put simply, it's the French law. They are not allowed to ask about existing medical conditions. And they are not allowed to "not pay out". End of.

Unlike British insurance companies, they also take the bit the UK government pays by way of the EHIC, so the premiums are usually lower than you can get elsewhere.

I'm in no way connected with the firm, BTW, just use them myself.

I first started using them for my own top-up insurance last year. I was admitted to hospital with a prolapsed disc, and no top-up insurance:Doh:MOH tried phoning around in French, and got nowhere. Rang Exclusive, and they arranged for cover to start "from tomorrow". So I only had to pay the first couple of days of hospital care:thumb:Can't say better than that!

Then I used them to cover my parents for their trip over. Admittedly we didn't take out cancellation insurance ... but the healthcare bit is the expensive bit for them generally, given their ages and dad's heart problems. I even told them that he was having small heart attacks all the time, that he was dealing with himself, and they said "that makes no difference to his cover".

OK, so we haven't (thank goodness) had to claim on my parents' holiday insurance ... but I'm confident they'd pay up.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my appologies Vanessa,

had a look at the site and it appears to be topping up your normal entitlement unlike other ins comps.

i did notice there is a limit as to how much you are entitled to ie: 65% to 70% of the total unless i misinterpreted this bit.:Doh:

for a 50year old at 1.17 euro per day sounds good. you wont find private travel ins at that price. :thumb:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No

thanks for this info vanessa very informative and gives you peace of mind also, i for one would take this up when i eventually travel to france, on my must do list:ROFLMAO:
wonder if any other countries do it:thumb:
ruth

R

revbj

Deleted User
Holiday Insurance

thanks for this info vanessa very informative and gives you peace of mind also, i for one would take this up when i eventually travel to france, on my must do list:ROFLMAO:
wonder if any other countries do it:thumb:
ruth

My 2pennyworth is that last year I had a battle with Caravan Club, my history was - 1997, mild stroke, since then blood presure probs etc. 2007 heart by-pass and valve repair surgery, 2008 prostate Cancer and treatment. I am noiw 69
After speakig to the supervisor, (to get round those rediculous medical quesitons yes or no) we evetrually agreed that my heart was now in good condition, my blood presure well controllled and the Cancer being treated. They agreed to continue the insurance (£140\ european annual) for one year also to incluide my wife (no ilness same age) but excluded the Prostate. Thats OK with me.

But I will look at this French connextion

OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
thank you all for your input we are looking at all the companies mentioned.
my wife is only 60 .
the company in france looks cheep
will let you no witch one we use .
:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry folks.....looks like i was wrong about not covering existing complaints.
must have been another type of insurance. possibly my life cover. :Doh:

V

vanessa

Deleted User
Picking up on the 70% thing, I believe that the EHIC covers the rest.

V

vanessa

Deleted User
I've just arranged travel insurance for my parents through ExclusiveHealthcare.com

Mother is 84, father is 83 - and he has unstable angina and chronic degenerative heart disease, with a list of medication as long as my arm. No need for any of this with Exclusive :thumb:

No questions asked, apart from age plus DOB, address, EHIC number .... 18 days cover cost them 67.43 EUROS each.

I checked-out the T&C at the same time ... Link Removed ... and they cover just about everything I can think of, 100%.

Just a word of warning. 100% doesn't necessarily mean you'll get everything back; in the vast majority of cases it will. However, there are some doctors who are not "tariff conventionné" (it's this tariff that the 100% is based on), and there are some drugs that are not 100% reimbursed. Apart from that, you're covered for just about anything including emergency repatriation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back