LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Getting a smart tv and putting it into grandsons room for when he stays. Anyone know any links to tv channels so he can watch something more than free to air ones?
Hopefully I am going to conect via a ethernet cable through one of the plug in things(name please?) rather than wireless so it should have a good signal.Mate is not sure if I just buy another plug in box to go with the pair I already have so that it runs off the same one or if I need another two ?
terry

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I believe those things you're talking about - powerline adapters work in pairs..
I would go wireless to be honest. Much less hassle and inconspicuous

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I believe those things you're talking about - powerline adapters work in pairs..
I would go wireless to be honest. Much less hassle and inconspicuous

:thumb: mate seems to think just adding another should pick up the signal (but not sure)if it has to be pairs no problem :thumb: tried wireless with printer -worked well until nice man from BT had to move router :cry: hence thinking of the power line adapters -- we ended up having to use the PA the other way around and moving the router by the tv / vision box--Don't ask why or how but comp = 5 mbs vision = less than 1 mbs,but other way around both = 5 mbs ::bigsmile:
anyone know online tvlinks etc ?
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Having just done this in my eldest son's bedroom here are a couple of thoughts.

You don't need to buy a smart TV. These tend to be expensive so a cheaper option is to buy a "normal" TV (providing it has an HDMI connector) and buy a separate "box" for the smart bit. You can get standalone smart boxes but the option I chose was to get a Sony Blu-Ray player (about £60 from the every little helps people) and this gives apart from BBC iPlayer access to things like Netflix and Sony's own entertainment website where you can hire or buy films. The Sony site seems to have some very new releases from about £3.50 a night rental upwards. The subscription services tend to be mostly old TV series from what I have seen and not much interest to us but if watching whole series of Downton is your thing these are probably what you want. You have to create an account on the Sony site and load it with payment details from which you can load a pre-payment. But this is all password protected so the TV user can't run up a big bill unless you log on and give it some more money.

For TV you will be much better off with using ethernet than wireless which may struggle with the bandwidth needed unless you live in a house with paper walls. Especially if you want to watch HD as you can on iPlayer - assuming you have a good connection of broadband of course. We use dLan powerline adaptors to link the router in an upstairs room with our main TV in the lounge and it works fine for watching BBC iPlayer - this TV is a smart one but it isn't as "smart" as the Sony box we have just bought which is why I suggest going down that route. Our powerline adaptors are quite old and fairly slow by the best of modern standards but they are still adequate but probably best to get the fastest you can as the price of them is not prohibitive.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi DevonBeekeeper,only getting the Smart tv, because it's off my mate (about a yr old 40 ins /£200 ish along with a yr old 19 ins Avtex /£80 :thumb: so will be replacing my old tv in van ::bigsmile:--he gave me a smart box that went on the back of the tv but I never used it so gave it back- so now looking into internet tv for free -don't like paying if I can get it for nowt :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you already have a TV licence and are planning to give it up be prepared for BBC to call out the heavy brigade to try and get you to buy another. Their letters are quite threatening I gather!

You don't need a licence if you only watch recorded TV on BBC iPlayer or DVDs. For any live broadcast, whether it comes over the internet, freeview or freesat you need a licence.

What are the chances of being caught? In your camper probably virtually non-existent. At home probably quite likely eventually as your home will show up with a big red flag over it on their database.

As an aside, being new to this Forum, I note my links to S-ony above have been fitted with a link to their website. Just in case anyone thinks I am doing some subtle advertising on their behalf it wasn't me who put them there. I shall be more careful in future!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
how DID we manage when TV came down your rooftop aerial and brought you BBC1, BBC2, ITV, channel 4 and 5 ? :RollEyes:

Exactly as we used to until earlier this year when we to our current house where we have a good internet connection and more than 5 channels on Freeview.

There are still plenty of places "off grid" so to speak even in these otherwise enlightened times. We used to live in one.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Getting a smart tv and putting it into grandsons room for when he stays. Anyone know any links to tv channels so he can watch something more than free to air ones?
Hopefully I am going to conect via a ethernet cable through one of the plug in things(name please?) rather than wireless so it should have a good signal.Mate is not sure if I just buy another plug in box to go with the pair I already have so that it runs off the same one or if I need another two ?
terry

You can have as many adapters as you want and they all talk to each other, although I would stick to a single make, as this will be better tested than mixing brands which might have niggling incompatibilities. However, a pair (sold as a starter pack) often costs the same as a single (or only 5 quid more), so then you can have a spare.

I've got 7 in my house. The mains ones work a treat. No problem with 3 lots of hi-def TV streaming going on simultaneously.

The wifi barely works as the next house has some sort of jammer from the early evening. I suspect they have an ancient video sender that splatters the 2.4GHz frequency with noise. They don't even work next to the router. 5 bars of signal, but 90% packet loss. Tried four different routers and about 10 different clients.

BTW, you can run more than one computer off a single plug. You just need a cheap ethernet switch.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you already have a TV licence and are planning to give it up be prepared for BBC to call out the heavy brigade to try and get you to buy another. Their letters are quite threatening I gather!

You don't need a licence if you only watch recorded TV on BBC iPlayer or DVDs. For any live broadcast, whether it comes over the internet, freeview or freesat you need a licence.

What are the chances of being caught? In your camper probably virtually non-existent. At home probably quite likely eventually as your home will show up with a big red flag over it on their databýase.

As an aside, being new to this Forum, I note my links to S-ony above have been fitted with a link to their website. Just in case anyone thinks I am doing some subtle advertising on their behalf it wasn't me who put them there. I shall be more careful in future!
Hi not interested in not paying my tv licence- although with the amont of self advertising the bbc do the fee should be dropped ::bigsmile: just more interested in the streaming bit.
I tried this yrs ago but I don't think it was advanced enough, or more to the point I was not :winky:::bigsmile: hence my asking for the links for free tv, films etc.I know there out there :thumb: it's just whos going to share ::bigsmile:
terry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing to consider is your internet allowance, unless you are on unlimited you could find that your allowance is gobbled up in no time watching TV etc via the internet!!!:Doh:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
how DID we manage when TV came down your rooftop aerial and brought you BBC1, BBC2, ITV, channel 4 and 5 ? :RollEyes:

Come on John tell the truth we both remember when there was only BBC and lots of that was taken up with interludes of potters wheels and they wished us goodnight at 10.30

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Come on John tell the truth we both remember when there was only BBC and lots of that was taken up with interludes of potters wheels and they wished us goodnight at 10.30

very true, i just about remember ITV (ABC television) and BBC2 coming on line in our area (1963 I think) though we didnt have a tv until 1965.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back