Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Hi,
I wish to measure the incoming amps as supplied by campsites, I have been told that this is possible using a ac/dc digital clamp metre.
Thanks

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You have not explained why you wish to measure the current you are drawing, but instead of buying a meter, why not simply sum the total wattage of the items you are using / want to use, concurrently and divide by 230. That will give you the maximum current drawn in amps.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi,
I wish to measure the incoming amps as supplied by campsites, I have been told that this is possible using a ac/dc digital clamp metre.
Thanks

as far as I understand (and that's limited) a clamp meter will only read what you are using and not what is available
so to find out what the site fuse is set at you would have to set clamp on incoming cable and switch one thing at a time in moho till fuse on site board popped and record highest reading

as jeanluc says work out your appliances and calculate it

unless someone knows better

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes, a clamp meter will measure amps but will only work if placed over one conductor only...either live or neutral....it wont work if placed around the hookup lead.

8it will only show the actual amps being used...not what the post is rated at.

to see what the maximum amp rating of the hookup post is simply look at the posts breaker...it has the amp rating printed on it.
probably shown as C10 or C16 for a 10 or 16 amp supply.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have been told that this is possible using a ac/dc digital clamp metre.
Thanks

Another variation on this is the clamp you can put on your home electricity supply which also gives you a total usage over a period of time.

Here is an example.

Link Removed

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Another variation on this is the clamp you can put on your home electricity supply which also gives you a total usage over a period of time.

Here is an example.

Link Removed

we have a similar item fitted to the van on ours you can also set an alarm to go off if you reach a pre set wattage, ours go's off at 2000w which suits most hook-ups saves tripping the post out. again the supplied clamp with these must only be fitted to one conductor we have ours on the live lead where it enters the consumer unit

OP
OP
Shuismo

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Thanks

Thank you all for the replies, I wanted to check the amperage as sometimes on continental sites we have been told we have 10amps but things keep tripping when we use items of lower amperage including the amps used to operate the running of basic items.
Thanks again

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you all for the replies, I wanted to check the amperage as sometimes on continental sites we have been told we have 10amps but things keep tripping when we use items of lower amperage including the amps used to operate the running of basic items.
Thanks again

This year we stayed on a couple of sites in France that only had 3-amp hook-ups. And lots more that were 6 amps. Not really a problem, as long as you know in advance; or you can re-set a trip-out switch yourself. We just use appliances accordingly. :thumb:

If in doubt, ask at reception.

Mike

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks again

Get one of those plug in electronic power measuring devices. They are much more accurate than the inductive sensing ones. Some can even measure power factor etc.

Then plug your motorhome into it. (I guess you have adapters to do this already for when you're parked outside home). This can tell you the amps you are drawing for various configurations.

I know mine only draws 8.25A or nothing at all. It currently has only one mains appliance, the air conditioner. I'm not sure I'm going to bother fixing the battery charger or the fridge connection as I never use hookup.

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about:
Link Removed

I've got a different model, so can't particularly recommend.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back