So many Thoughts being a Newbie (1 Viewer)

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Hi again .. It's The Oatcake monster here -again :Smile:
well since my last post I think I have sorted where I will have my Motorhome parked once I have re grown hair on my scalp!

Its all totally bewildering as what van I will aim to go for and someone (sry) forgot the name asked what's my budget well we have around 20-25k ..

Although the majority of our travelling will be just two of us we will on odd occasions use the van for taking other cyclist's to Belgium and France to race, so we are looking at a 5-6 berth no more than 7m L and 2,2m Width
so a van with a large Garage as I'm not to fond of having expensive race bikes on the rear cycle racks.

so -
Burstner Family 6 berth or a Ci Curioca looks to fit the bill, however I'm told German build is better quality but looking at what I can buy on my Budget It looks on paper the Ci will get me a 07-08 plate as opposed to a 05 on the Burstner

When is the best time to make a purchase ? pre 2014 0r post :Eeek:

Looks like I will be bald come the new year - :Doh:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Might be worth buying our leaders own book:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We're in a similar situation. Got as far now tho as knowing where we're parking the van and chosen our van. Collecting a Ford Transit Jumbo on Friday. Size perfect for us and since our budget was upto 15k on the basic van, was good find. We also intend to go to France, Scotland etc with kayaks, bikes.

Conversion-wise, we know what we want but don't know who to go to to get it from 111 :Doh:

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well both weigh in at 3,500kg

each have 4 seated belts

:RollEyes:

Yes, but they will have different permitted payloads so you do need to be careful.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well both weigh in at 3,500kg

each have 4 seated belts

:RollEyes:

With a "garage" van carrying 4 adults plus bikes plus spares etvc. etc.a 3500kg gross will not be enough.
Look for something 3850kg upwards. Assuming you have the licence for it?
It's all about PAYLOAD, not gross weight, but they usually go together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DAVWOD

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
With a "garage" van carrying 4 adults plus bikes plus spares etvc. etc.a 3500kg gross will not be enough.
Look for something 3850kg upwards. Assuming you have the licence for it?
It's all about PAYLOAD, not gross weight, but they usually go together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks , I really don't intend to go much higher than 3.5 , looking at the payloads they range between 530kg-580kg for the Burstner
and 574kg - 628kg for the Ci .. the bikes are carbon weighing in at 6.75 kg av ... I remember having to spread the load
evenly on our Trigano Trailer Tent .. with Motorhomes are they designed
that the fitted equipment is such that the vehicle is evenly balanced and allows for Motorhomes with garages to take a reasonable amount of load
:Confused:

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks , I really don't intend to go much higher than 3.5 , looking at the payloads they range between 530kg-580kg for the Burstner
and 574kg - 628kg for the Ci .. the bikes are carbon weighing in at 6.75 kg av ... I remember having to spread the load
that the fitted equipment is such that the vehicle is evenly balanced and allows for Motorhomes with garages to take a reasonable amount of load

Not sure about that but bear in mind you will be carrying water, diesel , clothes , crockery and ( potentially) adults weighing quite a few kilo's.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Payloads quoted by dealers & in brochures are notoriously optomistic.
Quoted payloads are "usually within 5%"(thats 175kg on a 3500kg van) & any extras will further eat into it. I've had to get both of my last 2 vans up-plated to over 4000kg to give a decent payload.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Ditto on paying attention to payloads/driving licences. A lot of modern vans are on their limit when full of fuel and water let alone people, bikes and food so do be careful. As to the age I'd rather have an 05 German van than a 2013 English one. Its all a matter of build quality, mileage will be ltoo low to bother with and many quirks ironed out in the older van.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The quoted payload is sposed to allow for one gas cylinder and fresh and waste tanks both half full I think it is. It also allows for one 75kg driver. It doesn't allow anything at all for eg a wife, a road atlas or a kettle, let alone a loaf of bread, a teabag or lavatory paper, a cup, plate etc and a bottle of milk.

If the cyclists are any good, muscle also weighs heavier than flab !! LOL

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Howdy Davwod! :Smile:

One question ... if you were NOT going to take friends with you ever what would be your ideal van? I'm asking because you should be buying one for YOUR needs first and foremost. If necessary on the occasions that you take others with you, you could take a small caravan/trailer with you. It may cost more on the crossings and maybe a bit more fuel due to towing but you then don't have to take a massive motorhome around with you on the vast majority of times when it is just the two of you using it (a 6m motorhome with a garage will easily accommodate your own bikes).

Upvote 0

damar

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
When you are buying a van look and look again there are so may to chose from, and every one has there preferences, we have always gone for an end lounge as we spend a lot of time on wild beaches and this gives us good visibility all round for taking photographs. Also running costs for me is a big thing, we always now buy a van with a standard cab, last year we were in France with friends a stone went through his headlight ÂŁ1495 to replace it on a standard cab ÂŁ20/ÂŁ30 of eBay, also body panels if you have to get them. Hope you find what you are looking for, then have a lot of fun with it.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Weighty issues

Howdy Davwod! :Smile:

One question ... if you were NOT going to take friends with you ever what would be your ideal van? I'm asking because you should be buying one for YOUR needs first and foremost. If necessary on the occasions that you take others with you, you could take a small caravan/trailer with you. It may cost more on the crossings and maybe a bit more fuel due to towing but you then don't have to take a massive motorhome around with you on the vast majority of times when it is just the two of you using it (a 6m motorhome with a garage will easily accommodate your own bikes).

I agree with Minx. You will severely limit your choice if you include the occasional needs of others in your deliberations, not to mention the effect on your budget and the high payload you would require.

We made a similar mistake when we bought our first van in 1996, a brand new Dethleffs 4 berth overcab, 6.3m with a huge garage and comfortable payload pulled by the reliable 2.8Jtd engine. We chose it because we thought we would have either the kids, the grandchildren, or friends coming with us on a regular basis. The reality was that in three years of constant use we took friends 4 times and the grandchildren once! And to accommodate those huge overcab and over garage double beds, we had to put up with a small kitchen, swing wall shower and cramped lounge.

So tread carefully but enjoy the search!

::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Zara

Free Member
Nov 24, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just wanted to say that I agree with you entirely - the variety of layouts make it great - but also confusing - we don't have a MH yet but in the last 6 months or so of thinking and looking, we have changed our minds so dramatically - so I'm glad we've not just jumped into it.

We have a teenager, and are also catering for others in that we will want a 4 berth but probably only use it as a 2 most of the time, as she's at the age where she's not really wanting to be dragged along everywhere with her embarrassing parents:cry:

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A Motorhome that suits YOUR needs..... and then think about a small secure trailer for the occasions you take bikes...

That's the road I would go down.. :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DAVWOD

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Well it wasn't a rush of blood to my head but we have finally bought our 1st Motorhome (haven't picked the keys up just yet) its a Burstner Nexxo A645
I'm well chuffed as it means we can carry loads of Oatcakes in a nice big Fridge to Meets next year and Hopefully you Guys will give me and my wife some useful advice should we need it.

Stay Warm :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back