Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
I've been to look at an automatic MH today 180hp 3l Fiat.

What should I be aware of. The salesman seems very keen on pushing it my way and I have to say it does it all other ways tick the boxes.

Advice please.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
For me auto every time

I find the Fiat seat position cramped compared to my Mercedes, I am sure the seats are much closer together, once in though much the same

But I am of a generous frame size!! that may be the problem

David

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
I've got the Fiat Ducato Auto 160 and just done 3,500 miles+ round Europe in it. Hills, mountains, motorways, bouncy tracks and still got 27 mpg. Not bad for 3.0L engine either.
Love the auto. :thumb:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
If you are used to proper automatics like the Merc you will find the Fiat takes a little getting used to. We had a Merc auto before and now have the Fiat comfortmatic
The comfortmatic can't be trickled slowly as you manouvre on a slope (especially in reverse) without getting a loud warning that you are burning the clutch (your nose will tell you that anyway)
You will also find it rolls back on hill starts which the Merc wouldn't do.
In normal driving the comfortmatic is good enough and smooth enough and economical enough. How long ours will last before the clutch is b*ggered though heaven knows.
Still wouldnt have a manual though!

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
So you say clutch. Is it not a fluid flywheel type auto?

Is it the same system my mum has on her Citroen Picasso?

How many gears?

We both drive auto cars and unless there was no option on any future car we buy we wouldn't go back either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Yep - automated clutch, assuming it's a Comfortmatic. If you are used to conventional torque converter automatics, you should probably go for an extended test drive. They feel very different. No clutch pedal, but the feel of the gearchange is just like a manual. It automates the 'foot off throttle - change gear - accelerate again' manual change rather than the 'ease off a touch - slip into next gear, let the torque converter drag the revs down' type auto that you will be used to.

It's also quite a slow change. The engine must have a biggish flywheel - my 2.3 150 doesn't drop it's revs in a hurry, so because you are just sitting there waiting, rather than working the pedals yourself, it seems very slow. In reality, I don't think it's all that much slower than a relaxed manual change, but there is no option to rush it.

Slow speed manoeuvring when not on level ground needs to be re-learnt whether you come from either a manual or TC auto background - you have to use brake & throttle & let it control the clutch slip that you would have done for yourself in a manual. I'm still mastering that one but only had to do it once in a confined space so far (& in reverse). You can't let the clutch take the strain as you would the torque converter or you'll kill it, just as you would kill a manual clutch if you did the same thing.

On the other hand, you get (almost) all the advantages of a conventional auto with the fuel economy of a manual - maybe even more so because it encourages a more relaxed style - you can't hammer it as hard as you could an fully manual box.

6 speed, same as the manual clutch version.

I quite like it. It's growing on me as I learn how to get the best out of it. But it's no good expecting it to be the same - if you do that you will hate it.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
The salesman seems very keen on pushing it my way
Really!!!! I find that hard to believe::bigsmile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would not swap mine for anything. Arriving at the back of a traffic jam is just so much less stressful.
We too did 3 thousand miles through France including the Ardeche this year.
I'm carrying 4000kg of my 4250kg allowance and ignoring the trip computer info the actual mpg was 24.5mpg by brim to brim calculation which is pretty good considering the roads we used.

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
I saw what looked like a tiptronic option on the gear stick. It this in anyway usefull?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I find it usefull but dont use it a lot sometimes i change up if i think its needed.
There is also a switch on the dashboard that will old the lower gears longer if you require.

Mel

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I saw what looked like a tiptronic option on the gear stick. It this in anyway usefull?

Yes an excellent feature, but as I posted earlier mine is a Mercedes, I have no experience of Fiats

Allows you to move up and down the gearbox when you want, rather that when 'the computer says yes', good when anticipating a hill up or down and particularly good for steep tracks on sites where you want to hold a gear

David

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The Fiat has a manual mode selection that allows you to dictate the gear.
In practice I have found no need for this as the computer is damn good!
There is also a switch for heavy loads and steep hills that makes faster changes for you.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Auto

If you are used to proper automatics like the Merc you will find the Fiat takes a little getting used to. We had a Merc auto before and now have the Fiat comfortmatic
The comfortmatic can't be trickled slowly as you manouvre on a slope (especially in reverse) without getting a loud warning that you are burning the clutch (your nose will tell you that anyway)
You will also find it rolls back on hill starts which the Merc wouldn't do.
In normal driving the comfortmatic is good enough and smooth enough and economical enough. How long ours will last before the clutch is b*ggered though heaven knows.
Still wouldnt have a manual though!

So you took the plunge then when we last saw you it was touch and go hope you enjoy your new van.:Smile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Done approx. two & half thousand miles in ours, since we got it..

And well impressed with the Man/Auto box... I intend to use the manual side of things mostly..

Gear lever is set in a superb place to just flick with one finger up and down the gears without taking hands off steering wheel...

Good bit of kit... :thumb:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
So you took the plunge then when we last saw you it was touch and go hope you enjoy your new van.:Smile:

Yes. Couldn't get planning permission for the extension to the bungalow we were gong to buy so pulled out of that deal and bought the new van instead!

Still trying as described above to come to terms with the comfortmatic when manoeuvring in tight spaces. Because the new van is 9 metres a lot more spaces are tight than before:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back