Burstner 747 - engine battery. (1 Viewer)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I've probably answered my own question - but you might know different!:winky:

MH is a 2002 model. Engine battery is only 11 months old. (I've had the van 2 weeks!)
Having been parked static for 10 days on hook-up, (while we sorted our gear and done some 'improvements' !) the engine battery is flat! (well, not totally, but struggles to turn the engine over, but started on jump leads!)

I did have a guy round to wire the cab radio so it worked with the ignition off, and only used it for a few hours, (honest!) and 'assumed' that both the leisure batteries and the engine battery would automatically charge from the EHU - it seems not! ....or should it?????

On the control panel, there is a switch to see the charge of both the leisure and the engine battery, but this is a rocker switch, not selectable. It does show lower on the engine battery!

Isn't it usual to have all the batteries at least trickle charging off EHU as standard???

If not - I reckon its time to fit a battery master (and probably have to get a new engine battery!) :Doh:

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
on our electric panel we have a rocker switch to either select habitation batterry or engine battery , middle position is off, when we picked the m/home up from dealers we where informed when on electric hook up select the rocker switch to which batterry you want charging,
so this is what we do and all as seemed fine up now .
hope this helps ..

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've probably answered my own question - but you might know different!:winky:

MH is a 2002 model. Engine battery is only 11 months old. (I've had the van 2 weeks!)
Having been parked static for 10 days on hook-up, (while we sorted our gear and done some 'improvements' !) the engine battery is flat! (well, not totally, but struggles to turn the engine over, but started on jump leads!)

I did have a guy round to wire the cab radio so it worked with the ignition off, and only used it for a few hours, (honest!) and 'assumed' that both the leisure batteries and the engine battery would automatically charge from the EHU - it seems not! ....or should it?????

On the control panel, there is a switch to see the charge of both the leisure and the engine battery, but this is a rocker switch, not selectable. It does show lower on the engine battery!

Isn't it usual to have all the batteries at least trickle charging off EHU as standard???

If not - I reckon its time to fit a battery master (and probably have to get a new engine battery!) :Doh:

They all differ, but many will not charge the engine battery on EHU. Mine certainly won't, even more so now that the battery charger has expired. Dodgy 1970s electrics. Only lasted 35 years. Still haven't decided whether to replace it, as the solar has never failed us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If your control panel shows battery voltages separately you should see 13+ volts when on hook up on both if charging

I flattened my cab battery using an inverter for a few hours last week, possibly a bigger load than a radio and not on hook up, but I have flattened car batteries in the past leaving radio on overnight

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back