Should I fit an alarm (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
The MH is now stored on axle stands for the winter in our drive. So I guess can be considered safe.

Only intend touring the UK at present, so should we be 'ALARMED'

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I suppose its up to each individual to make that choice as theft can happen anywhere at anytime, we only tour UK and do not have an alarm fitted.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Only you can answer that question! It depends on whether your insurance is affected (or discounted if an approved alarm is fitted), whether you are of a naturally confident or nervous disposition, whether you routinely carry items of significant value, etc., etc.
Then of course, there is always the consideration that if your van is the only one at a stop that is not fitted with an obvious alarm, it might seem the easiest option for 'Burglar Bill' to have a go at.
If you decide to get one, get a good one (VanBitz Strike-Back comes to mind) a 'so-so' alarm is almost worthless in my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
personally my answer would be YES

Try Vanbitz. They do a good strikeback alarm and tracker at a reasonable price with no month fees.

We think its brilliant.

Our motorhome is going down for it to be upgraded as it wasnt originally fitted by EddieVanbitz (funster) and we have just found out our spare wheel housing was not covered by the alarm when we thought it was.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
absolutely yes you should alarm your motorhome. you get an insurance discount for some alarms

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
your van got to cost you £25K - £30k + off a forecourt. can you afford :-

a. too loose that?
b. want to haggle with the insurance over the value?

removing it in a hurry off your stands is relatively easy if someone decides they want it :Eeek:

not trying to scare monger its your money , your choice,ours is on our drive when we are not away and hooked up and the alarm is always on.
we dont want to wait 3 - 6 months for an insurance company to settle if its nicked :Eeek: well it wont get nicked, not for long anyway as its fitted with Strikeback and a tracker:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I believe that vehicle owners should be entitled to fit a vertical spike with barbs, into the drivers seat, operated by a small electrical motor,.

If the vehicle is stolen, the owner dials a dedicated phone number and the spike is "fired" vertically into the rear end of the driver,

That will sort out the theiving B******s.

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I believe that vehicle owners should be entitled to fit a vertical spike with barbs, into the drivers seat, operated by a small electrical motor,.

If the vehicle is stolen, the owner dials a dedicated phone number and the spike is "fired" vertically into the rear end of the driver,

That will sort out the theiving B******s.

If I could fit one of those I'd lend my MH out to some not so good friends
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
My view is that if you had a Bently or a Porche, would you hesitate to buy an alarm?
Add in the fact that you have all your holiday belongings in the van then it is a no Brainer!

Get one that you can alarm the outside whilst you can still walk around inside.

I can recommend Eddie Vanbiz and his alarms

Cheers

Bob

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Have you got a swivel "Captains Chair" on your drivers side?
Knew a bloke that welded a Catch and Hasp to his, he turned the seat to the rear then Padlocked it.
The Scroats could overcome the alarm, the Immobaliser, the steering lock. No way could they drive standing up!

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
At the end of the day the choice is yours, but I think no matter how well you think think you have your vehicle secured there is always some scooter who will nick it.
Some friends of ours live in a quiet road with their caravan on their driveway. The van had a wheel clamp, Hitchcock and alarm fitted and it still got nicked.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you have a wireless alarm in the house that you set at night, you could always put a wireless movement sensor in the van too if its on the driveway. a local dealer does this with every van on his forecourt:thumb: if the alarm goes off it notifies him at home and switches on the floodlights so the camera system gets a better shot. not too expensive to set up either:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
if you have a wireless alarm in the house that you set at night, you could always put a wireless movement sensor in the van too if its on the driveway. a local dealer does this with every van on his forecourt:thumb: if the alarm goes off it notifies him at home and switches on the floodlights so the camera system gets a better shot. not too expensive to set up either:thumb:

That's a bloody good idea, never thought of that myself.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If your van is on the drive try a baby alarm, you would be able to hear anyone breaking in. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I haven't bothered with an alarm on the basis that if an alarm goes off who ever pays any attention these days.

I have spent my money on making it extremely hard for them to get in, start it or get away with anything value.

These are just a few of the things I have done.
Deadlocks on all doors.
Safe in the van for valuables.
Battery Key. (big honking switch with removable key)
Imobiliser

I will be fitting a tracker next. I won't bother with an alarm as they serve no purpose in my situation.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I haven't bothered with an alarm on the basis that if an alarm goes off who ever pays any attention these days.

I have spent my money on making it extremely hard for them to get in, start it or get away with anything value.

These are just a few of the things I have done.
Deadlocks on all doors.
Safe in the van for valuables.
Battery Key. (big honking switch with removable key)
Imobiliser

I will be fitting a tracker next. I won't bother with an alarm as they serve no purpose in my situation.

All that protection, coupled with the fact that you are in your van a lot means the likelihood of theft is very low. But you're right, still a good idea to get a tracker, full timers more than anyone would appreciate the swift return of a stolen motorhome

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
The MH is now stored on axle stands for the winter in our drive. So I guess can be considered safe.

What value do you put on your motorhome ??
Simple if not a lot then no
If it's a price worth paying for being tight then No

I would not only have an alarm I have GPS tracker fitted
Overkill? I don't think so

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
All that protection, coupled with the fact that you are in your van a lot means the likelihood of theft is very low. But you're right, still a good idea to get a tracker, full timers more than anyone would appreciate the swift return of a stolen motorhome

I hope all this talk of getting knicked I hope my pride and joy remains safe till I return it would be awful is mine got taken :cry:

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning

Hi Dawn
Being on the drive or on axle stands will not deter a professional tea leaf:Sad:

If your MH and contents are as precious to you as I think I'd strongly suggest you consider getting an alarm fitted - Having had an almost new caravan(sorry for the language) nicked a few years back I can say from experience it's something to avoid if at all possible. I'm a newbie to the MH world but after getting a Strikeback alarm fitted this week by VanBitz can highly recommend them...... see my 'alarming' post...... and will sleep a lot easier now knowing Ruby is well protected:Smile:
Dave

Branston1080

Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi Dawn

I've recently had a strikeback fitted by Vanbitz ( it's true they are as great as everyone says they are!). I agree it's personal choice, for me the alarm makes me feel safer at night knowing that I'm more protected in the van when I sleep.
I work away and stay in the van ( on a campsite) and as a lone female it's that added peace of mind.
Worth every penny!

:thumb:

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Hi Dawn

I've recently had a strikeback fitted by Vanbitz ( it's true they are as great as everyone says they are!). I agree it's personal choice, for me the alarm makes me feel safer at night knowing that I'm more protected in the van when I sleep.
I work away and stay in the van ( on a campsite) and as a lone female it's that added peace of mind.
Worth every penny!

:thumb:
In your position I'd certainly want an alarm too:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back