Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We're considering having cruise control retro fitted to our 2007 Ducato 2.3.
I have a couple of questions:
1) We got 29.5 mph on our last trip round France having had it remapped and pumped up the tyres to the the proper pressure rather than the van pressures recommended in the handbook (what a revelation!). Will Cruise Control improve our mpg further or is it just for comfort and ease of driving?
2) Is there any danger that it will have any detrimental effect on the clutch? (sorry if that's an ignorant question)
3) Who would you recommend to do it? Prefer Southern SCotland or North West England.

Thanks
Mags

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We have CC on our Bolero, I have found that I mostly use it on motorways or dual carriageways when we have a long way to go, only occasionally use it otherwise, and never in the rain or when roads are wet.
I have not found that it has affected my MPG much, I don't really pay too much attention to thes figures anyway, the M/H is going to use what it uses, just drive sensibly.
On the subject of tyre pressures, I ran them at the recommended M/H pressures, but found that I was getting fairly serious understeer, entering and exiting bends, the sharper the bend, the worse it was, not at excessive speed either, I lowered my front pressures to give more grip, bingo, understeer removed,handles sweetly now, I think it may have been because my M/H Has a lot of rear overhang behind the axle, also the rear kitchen is in the wrong place for weight distribution, I have just removed the too high and heavy microwave to aid this situation, hope this helps.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're considering having cruise control retro fitted to our 2007 Ducato 2.3.
I have a couple of questions:
1) We got 29.5 mph on our last trip round France having had it remapped and pumped up the tyres to the the proper pressure rather than the van pressures recommended in the handbook (what a revelation!). Will Cruise Control improve our mpg further or is it just for comfort and ease of driving?
2) Is there any danger that it will have any detrimental effect on the clutch? (sorry if that's an ignorant question)
3) Who would you recommend to do it? Prefer Southern SCotland or North West England.

Thanks
Mags
Be interesting to hear where you got the "proper" pressures from, NOT the side of the tyre I hope?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think CC would increase fuel consumption as it can't anticipate a hill and increase speed slightly to get up it , it waits until speed drops at the start of the hill then opens the throttle fully to cope.
I use ours all the time but I have never done a comparison of fuel used so this purely IMO. :Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It will depend what kind of driver you are as to whether you get more or less mpg. If you are a very erratic driver then you could see an improvement. If you are as would appear a very smooth and economical driver then you could see a reduction for reasons already stated. Having said that cruise has many benefits, I use it at all times even in 30mph sections governed by speed cams. Well worth any reduction in mpg.:thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It will depend what kind of driver you are as to whether you get more or less mpg. If you are a very erratic driver then you could see an improvement. If you are as would appear a very smooth and economical driver then you could see a reduction for reasons already stated. Having said that cruise has many benefits, I use it at all times even in 30mph sections governed by speed cams. Well worth any reduction in mpg.:thumb:

We have a very early CC version fitted. Its really just a bit of string on the passenger side, a fulcrum, lever and mallet.
When my wife thinks I'm going too fast, she simply pulls the string, activating the mallet through the fulcrum and lever. The mallet that lightly taps me on the head.
When we are going to visit her mother, I tend to dawdle, hence another reminder to speed up. I haven't noticed a marked reduction in MPG, but aspirin and elastoplast usage has shot up. :winky::winky:

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
According to manufacturers CC improves MPG. I would be without it, but I do have sciatica.
Phil
Me as well, haven't been to bed for 5 days now, got an appointment with the doctor at 11:40 and chiroguy at 14:00, I sympathise.:Sad:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We use the cruise control a lot in the MH and it is particularly useful on long journeys as it is less tiring for the driver.

Whilst agreeing that it does not anticipate long upward hills and you need to override it sometimes we have seen the benefit of increased MPG - plus sticking to 50 mph - that makes a big difference.

We also had cruise control in both cars and having recently traded one of of the cars in, the new one is without cruise control, I am seriously looking to see if it could be retrofitted as really miss it as it makes driving on long journeys far less tiring.

Kath and Howie

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Reflects my thoughts exactly. And I wouldn't be without cruise control. There is very little difference in fuel consumption with the cruise on or off for us. Suspect a head-wind or tail-wind has far more effect.

If we've got a motorway hill to climb we just knock the cruise speed down a bit, and then increase again on the way down the other side. Much as you might using your right foot to control your speed. :thumb:

Mike

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Be interesting to hear where you got the "proper" pressures from, NOT the side of the tyre I hope?

We looked at the Ducato book then the sticker that had been put on the wheel arches inside the cab and found a difference. The Ducato book showed a lower pressure but that was for the van so we used the pressures on the wheel arches and had an immediate improvement in mpg. No difference in stability but we do have air-rides fitted. It drove comfortably on a 3k round France trip so we're well happy with that mpg.
My sons are plugging the idea of cruise control. One of them used to be a trucker so I guess he knows what he's talking about but I wanted to hear motorhomers opinions.
Any thoughts on the clutch?

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We looked at the Ducato book then the sticker that had been put on the wheel arches inside the cab and found a difference. The Ducato book showed a lower pressure but that was for the van so we used the pressures on the wheel arches and had an immediate improvement in mpg. No difference in stability but we do have air-rides fitted. It drove comfortably on a 3k round France trip so we're well happy with that mpg.
My sons are plugging the idea of cruise control. One of them used to be a trucker so I guess he knows what he's talking about but I wanted to hear motorhomers opinions.
Any thoughts on the clutch?

Yes, it wont affect the clutch at all.
Seems you did the right thing with your tyre pressures, the wheel arch info is for the application, the pressure on the tyre sidewall is the maximum the tyre should be inflated to and NOT the specific application.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
cruise conrol

we had cruise control fitted to our 2007 2.3 ducato, cant say any change in mpg, but it makes driving a lot more comfortable, cant see any reason it would affect the clutch. had it fitted by Dave Newell (telford) excellent job.

Eric:Smile:

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
The only thing to remember is that the cc on a manual doesnt know to change down for long hills so will just cut out. As previously said though, it is great for long drives and I wouldnt be without it.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
As others have said, you are unlikely to improve on your already good MPG figures & they may get a little worse, as you are potentially more sensitive that the cruise control.

There is a potential additional strain on the whole engine/transmission train, not just the clutch, with cruise control on a manual transmission. There is an increased temptation to stay in top gear rather than change down at the optimum point. So long as you resist that temptation, there shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure your chosen model is as easy to temporarily flick out of cruise control as it is to click 'Resume'. Most will Resume at a press of a button, but some require a much more fiddly switch movement to 'Suspend'. As they all Suspend on touching either brake or clutch, the temptation is to touch the brake when you want to do the equivalent of easing off on the throttle, with your brake lights then sending the wrong signal to following drivers. This can be quite dangerous, especially on a motorway.

The very latest intelligent systems will do that for you, maintaining a set distance behind the vehicle in front, but I don't know if they are available as after-market fitments.

Like many people, I use cruise control because of leg problems on long journeys. I find that the level of concentration needed increases, rather than decreases. A lifetime of driving leads to an automatic connection between eye & right foot, which suddenly isn't there any more. Your eye says 'ease off', but now you have to use your hand on a switch instead.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You might want to have a look at Dave Newell's website. He is a Funster, offers a discount and is very knowledgable.
Link Removed

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have CC on both my VW T5 combi and the camper and I would never be without it !!

I have learnt that with 3.5m hight C Class its best to turn it off approaching a long hill if there is a bad headwind, I leant my lesson whilst watching the fuel go down on a journey from the Midlands to the NE on a stormy day last year, if there is a small general penalty on economy I don't care, CC is worth it.

Dave

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You might want to have a look at Dave Newell's website. He is a Funster, offers a discount and is very knowledgable.
Link Removed

I have to agree. Dave Newell fitted our CC and I wouldn't be without it. Its main purpose is not to improve MPG (that's just a bonus) but a long journey with CC is so much more comfortable and stress free.

Wyn

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
A couple of functions that may be useful to you are available on some after market CC.

One I had fitted used to cut out at 75% of the speed setting, so never any strain on engine gearbox.

Some come with two variable speed settings, say 30mph for town work and 70mph for motorways, etc. so you don't need to keep changing the setting as the legal limit varies, just switch between 1 and 2.

Also, a couple of fuel saving tips.

Only initiate the CC when you've achieved cruising speed, from standstill or reset. After all that's what it's for, controlling your cruise speed. Letting the CC get you up to speed will drink more fuel.

Disengage the CC when descending hills to ensure the engine isn't doing any driving.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

re-cc i use mine nearly all the time ,whether in confomatic [it changes ddown automaticallt at 1.000 ] ican change up at 1500, in auto it changes up mid 2500/2700 so to drive in manual can save fuel but for ease i leave it in auto,cc helps me keep to speed limit [ dont like £60 fine and 3 points:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Depends on the vehicle as well as driving style. My MH uses more fuel with cc than without, whereas my car (Discovery) seems more economical with cc. The speed limiter on the MH is really useful though, drive as normal but you know you won't exceed the speed limit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think CC would increase fuel consumption as it can't anticipate a hill and increase speed slightly to get up it , it waits until speed drops at the start of the hill then opens the throttle fully to cope.
I use ours all the time but I have never done a comparison of fuel used so this purely IMO. :Smile:

not wanting to sound sarcastic but you have a cancel button.

on approaching a hill which may slow you down simply disengage cruise and use your foot.once over the hill switch cruise back in.

i cruise at around 52mph at 1800rpm with an autobox but at 7500kg most hills cause a downchange from overdrive to 3rd gear (2 gears) with an increase in revs to around 4000 rpm.

disengage cruise before the hill and downchange is much later as im in control...not a computer.
even better is cruise disengaged and overdrive off so it only downchanges to 4th in most cases

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I only really use mine on relatively level roads with little or no traffic, in heavier traffic, you soon learn that people overtake you then slow down or drive erraticaly so you end up braking and turning off the CC.
On mine, I notice a slight decrease in fuel consumption, but it is to be used as an aid to good driving, experience will tell you when to turn it off and when is the best time to use it. On a long motorway or A road drive with little traffic and little change in gradient, it is well worth using.
Allan

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
cruise control

Hi there,
just thought i'd put my twopennyworth in when I changed my van a just over 12 months ago my first addition to my sprinter 416cdi was CC this was due purely to past experience as a retired black cab driver when i sold my cab i had covered 365,000mls.yes that's right, with cruise control,the gold cruise A330 KIT fitted by Conrad Anderson,not a murmur execellent fuel economy,a lot of my work was long motorway drives,would never be without,my last but one van 2.8jtd fiat I had it fitted to that,five winters in Morocco,summer trips to Spain,italy,croatia,long haul consumption between 27-31mpg loaded to 3,850kgs.over 60,000mls,I can't fault it,I've never known a trucker that'll knock it, when your only getting 10mpg. you'll use anything that gives you an extra 1mpg,plus driving is much less tiring on the old right leg/foot.Go for it, if you are contemplating long haul touring you'll be glad you did,Iwouldn't be without
it,hope this helps you decide.:thumb::winky::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back