Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
I know that a lot of you hsve televisions so will be able to give advice. Avatex or Kogan?
What are the pros and cons for each.

Sorry if this wuestion has been asked before.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Avtex are expensive and kogan are cheap ::bigsmile: but out of stock at the moment :Doh: There are lots of different 12v tvs Cello are another that spring to mind - have a good look around in currys, tesco asda etc, you pays your money's etc, if you find one that takes your fancy then check to see if John Lewis sells the same because they give a 5 yr warranty free
terry

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Our Cello Traveller does all it is supposed to do at far less than an Avtec the only problem is it takes so long to tune I have invariably nodded off before it gets there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've just bought an 21" Avtex this morning from towsure ( sorry peter ) 5% off if your a member of CCC too so that saved us £20.
Ralph did a lot of research between cello and avtex , avtex is twice as expensive but has excellent reviews. Not so the cello. So he says.
I just like the fact I'll be able to switch on a digital tv and have all the Chanel's where ever we are , without having to spend ages tuning in. Watch all the DVD's through it , plus it's got a built in satellite decoder. :thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
TV

We have a Avtex that we bought in 2006 which still works as like new, we bought a Kogan and had to send in back twice, then i asked for my money back which i got ::bigsmile: We fond the kogan sound very tinney.

We have still got the Avetex which we use in the bedroom and bought another 12v/240v from sainsburys for the lounge, touch wood no issues in 2 years,:thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We've just bought an 21" Avtex this morning from towsure ( sorry peter ) 5% off if your a member of CCC too so that saved us £20.
Ralph did a lot of research between cello and avtex , avtex is twice as expensive but has excellent reviews. Not so the cello. So he says.
I just like the fact I'll be able to switch on a digital tv and have all the Chanel's where ever we are , without having to spend ages tuning in. Watch all the DVD's through it , plus it's got a built in satellite decoder. :thumb:

you could be missing out......

not all tv stations transmit on the same frequency on all transmitter masts

some channels arent transmitted at all in one area but are in another.

always retune at a new location....it only takes a few minutes while you open a bottle or put the kettle on.

the only way to truly turn on and watch is via satellite tv...the channel numbers/frequencies are the same all over the uk.

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Avtex everytime, for us, cheaper ones, the sound is awful, tinny. if you don`t like the sound, more expense to change, John Lewis recommended, we have bought two Avtecs, a 22" for the caravan which we also use in the kitchen at home, and a 16" for my mh.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Avtex for us. Our previous van tv had a very narrow viewing angle and poor contrast. It was not cheap and when it broke we were not unhappy. As we were at a show we went immediately and bought a 21" Avtex with built in satellite decoder and DVD player. So far delighted with it.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
you could be missing out......

not all tv stations transmit on the same frequency on all transmitter masts

some channels arent transmitted at all in one area but are in another.

always retune at a new location....it only takes a few minutes while you open a bottle or put the kettle on.

the only way to truly turn on and watch is via satellite tv...the channel numbers/frequencies are the same all over the uk.

We realise that pappa , but the avtex has a 1 button tuning system , aqt. Press that and it sorts it all out. Instead of going into menu settings and faffing. We tend to use the satellite as well most of the time.:thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We realise that pappa , but the avtex has a 1 button tuning system , aqt. Press that and it sorts it all out. Instead of going into menu settings and faffing. We tend to use the satellite as well most of the time.:thumb:

apologies....i thought you meant you dont retune at all.

i only use satellite so dont know if its a still a requirement to retune with digital tv as it was with analogue tv. !.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Oh dear, you get 10% Funster discount from me !

Peter
I know Peter , Ralph did look and does buy a lot from you online , but we got the bigger 2013 , 21.5 inch wide screen super slim HD free view and satellite receiver version :ROFLMAO: :winky:for £380.
I know it's not cheap , but we do watch a lot of TV and DVDs in the Motorhome through the dark wet and cold winter months when were away.
Plus we've had the old tv since we had a caravan , so it was due replacing. We know they are good , not just from the reviews , but from recommendations from friends too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I know that a lot of you hsve televisions so will be able to give advice. Avatex or Kogan?
What are the pros and cons for each.

Sorry if this wuestion has been asked before.

Cheap £80 Tesco special for us. We don't watch much TV and just wanted something small and 12V with HDMI input.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Do not forget the after sales service, I had a problem with the DVD on my Avtex.

They replaced it for the newer model!

This is the second Avtex we have had the 15" and the newer 16", it's the old adage " you get what you pay for"

Thumbs up for Avtex!

Upvote 0

SmartIE

Free Member
Nov 15, 2013
Oulton Broad
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
30+ years
We just bought the 18.5" Avtex, with Sat tuner, at the NEC show and now with a change of plans find it surplus to our needs so if anyone is interested in a brand new TV (with the case) my email is I.emery1 at sky.com. It cost us £350, sensible offers?

Cheers, Ian

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
had an aalternative and sold it along with the last van.
Just bought a 24inch Kogan with pvr for the new one..
It fine.. For what I paid I am more than happy.
I found the after quite clunky.. Worked OK though. I can have 2 of these Kogans for the price of an after.. The sounds not too bad to be honest

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Who said you get what you pay for ? My mate mends tvs and he says that the Cello has cheapo insides, but then so do many of the others.Big brand names are marginally better on there cheap models, but a lot better on there top range.Avtex fall in the cheap range but they charge premium price :winky:He cannot coment on the after sales but he gets quite a few that he repairs and he loves them, simply because he gets almost double the price for them ::bigsmile:from nutters with caravans /MHs ::bigsmile: Again he cannot coment on the Kogans as he's never had one but he says simply on the prices they will have cheapo insides :Doh:--rather than you get what you pay for he says you pay your money and makes your choice :thumb: Me I have a old Bush with built in DVD (free off mate) and a 13 quid decoder from Asda both about 6 or 7 yrs old :Smile: it does the job :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Who said you get what you pay for ? My mate mends tvs and he says that the Cello has cheapo insides, but then so do many of the others.Big brand names are marginally better on there cheap models, but a lot better on there top range.Avtex fall in the cheap range but they charge premium price :winky:He cannot coment on the after sales but he gets quite a few that he repairs and he loves them, simply because he gets almost double the price for them ::bigsmile:[HI]from nutters with caravans /MHs [/HI]::bigsmile: Again he cannot coment on the Kogans as he's never had one but he says simply on the prices they will have cheapo insides :Doh:--rather than you get what you pay for he says you pay your money and makes your choice :thumb: Me I have a old Bush with built in DVD (free off mate) and a 13 quid decoder from Asda both about 6 or 7 yrs old :Smile: it does the job :thumb:
terry

Does he also call big hairy arsed HGV drivers nutters?, Avtex is the first choice for these Gentlemen of the road because of the proven robustness of the sets:winky:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Does he also call big hairy arsed HGV drivers nutters?, Avtex is the first choice for these Gentlemen of the road because of the proven robustness of the sets:winky:

That's why he buys them broken -almost new- repairs them and sells them :winky: love's them because he has people waiting for them, prepared to pay top money ::bigsmile: like he says not really worth repairing small tvs because you can buy new for almost the price he can get for a repaired one :Doh: but Avtex are the exception ::bigsmile: he gets 150 ish all day long
terry
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back