Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We can't find gravy granules anywhere here in Portugal, the only thing I can FIND is what I thought were granules was just stock granules, stick cubes in abundance but no proper gravy granules.
Looks like I have to go back to basics and make my own gravy like I used to in the 70.s.
Trouble was you could cut it with a knife, how many slices of gravy would you like dear, one or two?

Anyone know what to look for here in Portugal to make gravy with?

PLEASE !! :'(

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We can't find gravy granules anywhere here in Portugal, the only thing I can FIND is what I thought were granules was just stock granules, stick cubes in abundance but no proper gravy granules.
Looks like I have to go back to basics and make my own gravy like I used to in the 70.s.
Trouble was you could cut it with a knife, how many slices of gravy would you like dear, one or two?

Try a joint of beef.::bigsmile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Aww where abouts are you in Portugal, we had the same problem and then we found an oasis near Albeferia------there is an Iceland in the Algarve shopping centre and they sell Aunt Bessies oven chips, not like the real thing but they will put us on ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Buy a pot of Bovril use a spoonfull and water, add some flour to thicken it with
Peter

Well, well, well. Peter the cook. Multi talented.

But also so sad, you did not offer to sell her a container of gravy granules, airlifted to Portugal with a FUNster discount.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

• Put approx half a pint of water in a pan and bring to the boil
  • Crumble half a stock cube in and whisk to dissolved it
  • Pre-mixed a teaspoon of cornflour with a little cold water to a double cream consistency
  • Pour the cornflour mix into the stock gradually, whisking as you do so, and bring back to the boil to thicken
  • If it's not thick enough put in a little more cornflour ... remember you can always add more but can't take it out!
Depending on the quality of the stock cube you may need to add some more to get the taste you want. You can of course use normal flour but you then will have to cook it for at least 2 minutes, by using cornflour you don't have to do this. :thumb:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Aww where abouts are you in Portugal, we had the same problem and then we found an oasis near Albeferia------there is an Iceland in the Algarve shopping centre and they sell Aunt Bessies oven chips, not like the real thing but they will put us on ..

We are in Sagres, Lagos next stop a bit far from you JJ lol.
Thanks for the advice about Iceland, might try and make my own again, I have flour but will buy cornflour, didn't realise you had to wait for flour to cook, perhaps that's why mine turned out real like a gel.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well, well, well. Peter the cook. Multi talented.

But also so sad, you did not offer to sell her a container of gravy granules, airlifted to Portugal with a FUNster discount.

Nip down to Tescos or Waitrose and buy them a packet of Oxo cubes and stick them in the post Brian, you good deed for the year:thumb:

Thats what Funsters are for

Peter

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Reminds me of the days my mother used to send me next door to borrow there joint to make a drop of gravy :ROFLMAO:.
Lend me your joint and I will make the gravy :winky:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
how i make gravy for the sunday roast dinner,same way my mother makes it:thumb:
remove sunday roast from oven,remove meat from roasting tray and set on plate to rest
put roasting tray on hob with the juices of the roast still in tray,add 2 oxo's and the water from the veg(cabbage,cauliflower)bring to the boil,mix 1 1/2 table spoons full of corn flower in a small amount of cold water until all the cornflower has dissolved ensuring there are no lump's,slowly and evenly stir cornflower mix into roasting tray adding a bit at a time until you get the consistency you require discard any unused cornflower mix,and seasoning to taste.:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
how i make gravy for the sunday roast dinner,same way my mother makes it:thumb:
remove sunday roast from oven,remove meat from roasting tray and set on plate to rest
put roasting tray on hob with the juices of the roast still in tray,add 2 oxo's and the water from the veg(cabbage,cauliflower)bring to the boil,mix 1 1/2 table spoons full of corn flower in a small amount of cold water until all the cornflower has dissolved ensuring there are no lump's,slowly and evenly stir cornflower mix into roasting tray adding a bit at a time until you get the consistency you require discard any unused cornflower mix,and seasoning to taste.:thumb:

Thats the only way to make gravy :thumb:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
A good few years back I took pots of gravy over to South Africa as they couldn't get it, but when I opened my case ahhh Bisto all over my clothes:Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A good few years back I took pots of gravy over to South Africa as they couldn't get it, but when I opened my case ahhh Bisto all over my clothes:Doh:
I bet all the local dogs followed you everywhere .... :ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Flour, being made from wheat, has to be boiled/cooked for 2 mins to get the gluten to 'pop' which is what thickens 'stuff'.

Corn flour doesn't have gluten cos it ain't wheat LOL - but you do still have to cook it sufficiently to thicken stuff. I mean if you think of Bird's custard powder, unless the milk was really boiling furiously when you poured it over the powder already mixed with a bit of cold milk in your jug, you got what we always called 'drinking custard' LOL. Then you had to pour the jug into the milkpan and beat it like hell to thicken it, as it boiled again.

So anyway, you need some caramelised bits on the bottom of your meat tin if you want your gravy to be brown without using gravy browning. Alternatively, caramelise a bit of onion in a bit of oil and leave the onion in the gravy. That will brown it equally well using flour to thicken. Just lob a spoonful of flour in the pan with the browned onions, mix like hell till it's all gooey and add hot water (kettle or veg water) a drop at a time beating like hell again to combine it, a balloon whisk is ideal. Carry on adding water till it's however thick - or rather thinned! - as you want. It's the same principle as making a basic white sauce with a roux as the base ......

(Fraid I just buy several of the largest things of Bisto to take with us, cos we know you can't get it except rarely and expensively!)

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
People are mostly superficial false peasants.
Let them stew in their own juices:ROFLMAO:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My mother always used Burdall's gravy salt along with the meat juices, flour and water, and consequently so did I until the makers discontinued it in 2000. It was always difficult to find down south in any case.

After seeing a gap in the market Old Jake, an enterprising bloke in Leicestershire, created a very good replacement - in fact it's better than Burdall's. :thumb::thumb: So I order it on line from him.

Catherine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back