do we really need a second Leisure battery (1 Viewer)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
room is tight in our MH garage, we bought our Rapido with a second Leisure battery installed on the surface of the garage floor, the vehicle has been wired by the previous ownership for a
solar panel, we don't do wild camping and for us I cant ever see us needing the requirement of a solar pane, the reason for the fuss is the garage space is tight especially so with a largest Leisure battery taking up space In our case is there an advantage of having a second leisure battery or can we really do without it.... experienced funsters please??

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If your not using it and don't need it get rid,it's taking up valuable payload that could be better used.

Vlad

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
If your not using it and don't need it get rid,it's taking up valuable payload that could be better used.

Vlad

The battery is wired into the system and does get charged as such but what I'm querying is would I ever be in a situation where I could regret the removal of it, for instant do most Funsters only require one Leisure battery, when does a second battery become necessary?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I can't answer your question I'm afraid but if you're thinking of getting rid of the Solar Panel set up I may be interested :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I suggest you remove the battery and disconnect the wires from your solar panel regulator but you keep it at home.

Then, after time, if you find you need it, it is easy to refit it.

JJ :Cool:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The one time we REALLY rely on battery power is when we go to all the shows.. Usually arrive either Thursday or Friday and no shows have hook up,, So we need a minimum of 4 days off the grid ability..

Mind you, with many sites now charging for hook up separately we always opt out of it.
We have in the past gone off grid for 10 days with a bit of sunshine :thumb:

But if you are unlikely to go to any shows or Funster meets, or indeed are not heavy users*, then an extra battery will not be needed

*I would be the first to admit we ARE heavy users.. telly addiction, sat system, laptops etc means we are reliant on decent batteries :Smile:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I suggest you remove the battery and disconnect the wires from your solar panel regulator but you keep it at home.

Then, after time, if you find you need it, it is easy to refit it.

JJ :Cool:

Or, give it me. Allow me to introduce myself. I am MD of the Tootles Solar Panel and Unwanted 12volt Battery Company. We will remove your battery, and panel, and donate said same items to a poor and deserving motorhomer in Lancaster, at no charge to your good self!

::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I can't answer your question I'm afraid but if you're thinking of getting rid of the Solar Panel set up I may be interested :thumb:

sorry, it appears I'm being vague although the vehicle has the necessary wiring and regulator the previous owner's had taken the solar panel with them...so this post is really about do I need the power of two leisure batteries

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Most people who have a second battery spend a fair bit of time off grid,be that on an aire in France or wild camping in Scotland .In order to recharge batteries some will use solar panels other will have a battery to battery charger.If you set up a van right with led bulbs and a 12v tv,one battery and panel will do as your power usage is low.If you want to run microwaves hair dryers etc and use a lot of power more than one battery is required.
If you mainly use sites with hookup one battery will be enough,if you ever fancied a night or two off hookup and watch your power usage one battery will last longer than you may think.
I'd remove the spare battery and keep it at home as a spare ,you could always add a cheap solar panel and be set up for both scenarios

Hope this helps

Vlad

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Simple answer is no, if you intend to use sites with hook up one leisure battery is more than adequate, It is possible to get away with only one leisure battery if you intend to stay on sites or wild camp without hook up, but a lot will depend on your power usage,just using the van will charge the leisure battery a certain amount anyway.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
The battery is wired into the system and does get charged as such but what I'm querying is would I ever be in a situation where I could regret the removal of it, for instant do most Funsters only require one Leisure battery, when does a second battery become necessary?

As the majority of my M/Homing is done between April and October I use one leisure battery and a 130watt solar panel. But if I decided to extend the use of the van over the remaining months I would consider fitting a second leisure battery.
You should use the van as it is now and decide later, based on your own experience.:thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have two leisure batteries, they were in the van when I bought it five weeks ago, as soon as I am able I am going to buy a marine 125amp battery and just have the one, this will give me more room under the settee.use ehu more than not.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The only benefit of a second leisure battery is the ability to spend twice as long camping without hookup. If you really ONLY ever use mani sites with hookup then no you don't need it. Will you ever encounter a situation where it might be useful to have the extra capacity? Only you can answer that one but if you ever attend a motorhome show or Funster rally you may well find that extra capacity useful.

D.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
room is tight in our MH garage, we bought our Rapido with a second Leisure battery installed on the surface of the garage floor...taking up space...

Would it not be possible for you to let the 2nd battery into the floor of the garage using a battery box...?
In the 786F, the leisure battery was set into the floor of the garage so when a second battery was added it was done in the same way and so took up no room inside at all
Just a thought :Smile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Would it not be possible for you to let the 2nd battery into the floor of the garage using a battery box...?
In the 786F, the leisure battery was set into the floor of the garage so when a second battery was added it was done in the same way and so took up no room inside at all
Just a thought :Smile:
cutting a grat big hole in my van tomorrow grate idea:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
sorry, it appears I'm being vague although the vehicle has the necessary wiring and regulator the previous owner's had taken the solar panel with them...so this post is really about do I need the power of two leisure batteries

Firstly if you don't need the extra power due to you using hook-up on site all the time then remove the battery but leave the wiring in in case you change your mind at a later date (make sure it's all safely terminated!).

Also, as an aside, as the previous owner has removed the solar panel get up on the roof and make sure they haven't left any holes that need filling to stop water getting in!!!! :Eeek:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well i would keep both as you never know when you might nead the extra power but if you are not gowing off grid wich means no fun meats or not the real fun stuff you will be ok the hole point of a motor home is to get away frome it all soner have a bit more than not enough chers billtedrill

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
well [HI]i would keep both as you never know when you might nead the extra power[/HI] but if you are not gowing off grid wich means no fun meats or not the real fun stuff you will be ok the hole point of a motor home is to get away frome it all soner have a bit more than not enough chers billtedrill

This would be my thinking also... :thumb:

I'd also be looking to replace the solar panel - if only to have the peace of mind that all the batteries (including the vehicle battery) were being topped up all the time (but that wasn't the question...) :Smile:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've just had a pair of batteries and a solar panel fitted. We had 20 days in France without hook up and the batteries stayed fully charged. Last year we went to France with one leisure battery and tried 7 days off hook up and it went flat.
Depends what you want to do but we love being able to be free from hook ups.

Spidermonkey

Free Member
May 8, 2012
back in uk for a while
Funster No
MH
sold - none at the moment
Exp
June 2012

I have one for sale if you're interested. Brand new with all fixings, still in the box 100w measures 47 x 27.5 x 2 inches. 180 pounds plus postage. PM me if you're interested.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

same size as a decent size battery small genny, i have 2 batteries one used to power wifes nippy machine,genny to charge her mobility scooter, went down this route following advice from solar panel salesman, would take to long to charge scooter,you have to find out what is best for you/your needs:thumb:

Attachments

• mhfun 167.jpg
    mhfun 167.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Batteries don't like being out in the cold Bill!

If you have a dropped battery box, it'll need blown air to it to survive the mountains!:Eeek:

That may well be the case, my box has insulation inside the box and as yet never experience problems ..Alps...Scottish winters, etc:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back