LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
How do i use my hair dryer when not on hook up?

Our MH has a solar panel (80w?) And 1 battery under passenger seat. Should I get a suitcase genni? Or another battery?

I can't believe its so difficult to use a hairdryer! What do other girls do?

I'm finding it really hard to find sites that are open in north wales end of nov, for our first trip, so I'm happy to try non ehu sites. I'm even happy to sit in the dark under a blanket with a headtorch on whilst reading my kindle, but I need to dry my hair in the morning:shout:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have a small 12 volt one, but it isn't very powerful. I await the replies to your post with interest.:thumb: (The small ones only cost about £5 at the shows).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
On
my long hair it is next door to useless however. Now I just wash and go and hope the sun dries it.[/QUOTE]

I have shortish fine hair that needs washing everyday or else people recoil in horror and cross the road, very rarely if not going anywhere and gardening etc I don't wash and dry it, my delightful daughter calls this my 'care in the community look':ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lower wattage drier, a second battery and an inverter.

500watt drier will use around 40 amps per hour using an inverter but if you restrict drying to say 15 minutes thats only 10 amps out of your battery.
on a sunny day the solar panel should easily top up the battery over a full day.

as said....12v driers are a waste of time, just like 12v kettles etc and will never get hot enough to dry hair.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I had a similar problem; Carole needs her hair dryer.
Solution costs under £50.00, fitted myself.

1500 W inverter (not pure sine wave, not required)
1200 Watt dryer

problem solved. However, I think you may need a little more battery power if the dryer is to be used for approx. 15 mins. Carole actually gets away with half power and half fan speed so no real effort for the electrics. Believe or not one of the hardest things to do with the inverter is fitting the heavy duty cabling. Sounds expensive for a hair dryer but I'm hoping that it will eventually pay for itself when not on EHU.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just had another daft idea....

end of november you will have the blown air heating running.

get on your hands and knees and stick yer barnet in front of an air duct. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks papa john. I think I'll go into the dealers tomorrow. We pick up the van next sat. So they can fit it this week.

I'll only need it for a few minutes so that's why I was wondering about those little suitcase gennies that I could plug it straight into.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The age old problem.. Women and hairdryers.. :Doh::Doh:

On a serious note, As small a wattage mains hairdryer that you can get, usually a travel type.
I think my wife's is 800w.. And an Inverter that is big enough to run it, connected to the battery NOT via a cigarette lighter socket .....

Investment in another battery is a wise move, at least then you will be storing extra power..

Link Removed

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks papa john. I think I'll go into the dealers tomorrow. We pick up the van next sat. So they can fit it this week.

I'll only need it for a few minutes so that's why I was wondering about those little suitcase gennies that I could plug it straight into.

little generator is ok but means more weight to drag around, and possibly get stolen from outside the van, and fuel to carry.

if the generator was used to power the van a lot, then yes...otherwise an expensive power source.

Upvote 0

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
O/h has fitted a 1800 watt inverter and I use my 500 watt hair dryer which is just as efficient as the hair dryer in the house .. The dryer is a well know make but forgotten the name at the mo:Doh: but can check tomorrow if you like :thumb:

I did see originally Sian ....Jim's better half using it and did source it in boots the chemist
Or you can use a gennie with a low wattage too

Hope this helps

Kath x

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
It's got to be the most asked, most futile question on FUN.

You give her the numbers, my fingers won't do it any more.

Why bother reading a thread with a title Hair dryer then if it bores you so much?

It may be futile to you, you don't have hair, so I don't expect you to understand.

So sorry to bore you..

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We never have hook up and don't have a generator.
Well we do but we never use it. Or even take it out with us anymore.
I don't know what Ralph does , he switches something on. Then I can use my powerful hair dryer and GHD'S from home .
Electrickery magic :thumb: can't beat it.
Ps I can ask him how he does it if you want but you'd be better talking to him than me. I just expect everything to work when I switch it on:Blush:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We never have hook up and don't have a generator.
Well we do but we never use it. Or even take it out with us anymore.
I don't know what Ralph does , he switches something on. Then I can use my powerful hair dryer and GHD'S from home .
Electrickery magic :thumb: can't beat it.
Ps I can ask him how he does it if you want but you'd be better talking to him than me. I just expect everything to work when I switch it on:Blush:

That does sound like magic and just what I need, please could you ask him how he does it?

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I have shortish fine hair that needs washing everyday or else people recoil in horror and cross the road, very rarely if not going anywhere and gardening etc I don't wash and dry it, my delightful daughter calls this my 'care in the community look':ROFLMAO:

My hair is short-ish too - I have to confess that I either don't bother ( it is sort of 'camping' after all :RollEyes: ) or I let it dry as is (all flat & frumpy) and use one of those little travel gas styling brushes to give it some bounce and shape afterwards :thumb:

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Not the old Hair Drying in the Van Conundrum again!!

Seriously Mousy, if you find a solution please let us girls know. Hilldweller is right, the question has been asked many times, but THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT SHOULDN'T BE ASKED AGAIN!

Whoever comes up with a simple solution to this problem will make a fortune!

I have a rechargeable pair of straighteners (with two batteries) and a pair of gas heated curling tongs, between the two I manage a bit of styling when off hook up, but not the same as having a hair drier.

As for the 'hang your head over the blow air outlet' forget it, ours are about 2cm off the floor, it ain't happnin! Mind you with shoulder length hair. I could sweep the floor at the same time.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
That does sound like magic and just what I need, please could you ask him how he does it?

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.:thumb:

I've just asked him and we have a victron inverter/ charger running from 2 x traction batteries and a sterling battery to battery charger.
I'd google that if you don't know cos I havnt a clue :ROFLMAO:
I do know that Ralph fitted it with some advise from jonanshell who are members on here.
My hairs really thick and would never cope with a piffling whispy hair dryer, and I need the straighteners to calm it down .
It's not like the avatar to the left though:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
What blokes don't seem to understand is it's not getting hair dry it's getting it dry and styled so it looks lovely, there is a big difference. If I just wanted to dry it I'd hang my head out the window whilst driving!

I'm trying to look more like lulu than Camilla.

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
You can get gas powered straighteners if that helps.

Guess what the missus now wants for Xmas ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It is entirely possible to have a reliable source of 240v when off hook up, without a generator.

The ingredients required are a decent size traction battery bank, a suitably sized inverter, a quantity of heavy copper cable and a decent charging system.

During the summer months, when blown air heating is not required, we use an electric kettle in addition to the hairdryer, hair straighteners, phone chargers, laptop charger and even on occasion, the compressor to inflate the canoe. Add to that about 4 hrs of telly a day and we can go about three days without recharging.

It really is a matter of simply knowing your intended electrical demands and matching your electricity storage (batteries) and charging system to keep up!:thumb:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
There you go. We now do the same :thumb:
Though I've no idea how:Blush::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks jonandshell, that's a very clear explaination. We now understand what to look for.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
May I suggest the huge diesel one under the bonnet ?
Close all heater vents except the one in front of you.

Upvote 0

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
Mousy....google the trotting mare, Overton on Dee nr Wrexham, well its just outside Ellesmere, Shropshire...lovely little town and lakes.....we're here tonight just for the one night (we're from Welshpool) lovely pub, friday night is steak night, sat night is curry night...they do their usual menu too....and it has electric, so bring your hairdryer from home....woo hoo, result!! Not quite north Wales as such......and if you wanted company there are a good few of us, well me and caztur, local-ish.....but there again you might want a quiet couples break.....:roflmto:

Upvote 0

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
Ps it sounds like you have similar hair to me, fine and short and jedward like in the morning so needs washing everyday....i think the 12v option hairdryer might be ok you know.....i got one once for my daughter...will see if ic an find it and you're welcome to it if i do.....:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back