pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well, you will rush into these things Tony. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sounds a bargain to me, 800/1200 peak for £30.

the bloke that told ne about 'em said he runs his 700w microwave on his.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Marrwyck

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
Exp
2 Years
What a great bargain.
A few weeks ago I paid £34.99 for a 350w one from Halfords.

Perhaps I'll take it back & then go to Argos ::bigsmile:

roverman1

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
leeds west yorks
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
invertor

You starting to get on me nerves now John ..... I paid £29.99 for a 600 watt at Stratford :Doh:
hi iam new to motor homing i need to get an invertor for my van it has a two pin plug wired intoa zig unite . can i cut the cigarette lighter plug of and wire it up to the two pin plug my van is a fiat ducato elddis cirrus . iam thingking of getting one of those argos ones .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi R/m I think you may be getting confussed.The inverter usually clips onto the lesure battery then gives you 240 v power via a socket just like at home :thumb:
terry

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Roverman, as a general rule of thumb an inverter will consume 10amps at 12volts for every 100watts at 230volt it produces. So an 800watt inverter needs a direct fused (150amp) connection to the batteries, keeping the leads as short as possible to minimise voltage drop. I would suggest 15mm cable, which is rated about 110amps continuous.

Olley

roverman1

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
leeds west yorks
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
invertor

Hi R/m I think you may be getting confussed.The inverter usually clips onto the lesure battery then gives you 240 v power via a socket just like at home :thumb:
terry
hi terry the invertor i was shown in halfords has a cigarette lighter plug on it.that why i thought you could connect to the van via the 12 v plug

S

stagman

Deleted User
hi terry the invertor i was shown in halfords has a cigarette lighter plug on it.that why i thought you could connect to the van via the 12 v plug

If you are going to plug it in to the cigar socket make sure it is suitable for the cigar lighter.Some have 2 one socket is for low current circuits and one for the cigar lighter,make sure you use the one for the lighter.Also some inverters give 2 sets of leads,cigar plug if you use up to 150 to 200w and hard wired if you intend on using anything heavier.Carefull what you do or you could start blowing some fuses.:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi iam new to motor homing i need to get an invertor for my van it has a two pin plug wired intoa zig unite . can i cut the cigarette lighter plug of and wire it up to the two pin plug my van is a fiat ducato elddis cirrus . iam thingking of getting one of those argos ones .

unless you are only charging phone or camera batteries ect i wouldnt bother with the halfords one.

the argos one will need wiring directly to your battery , via a 100amp fuse, as close as possible to the battery.
DONT be tempted to replace the heavy wires with thinner ones to help installation. they could melt and catch fire.

the wires on mine (600w)are almost as thick as the starter motor wires on the engine and about 2ft long.

roverman1

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
leeds west yorks
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
re invertor

i only want to use it for my 15 inch flat screen tv which is designed to run on 12v dc and operated from a 230 v ac ,50 hz according to manual . its an onn tv from asda does the one from argo have the wiring with it and insructions how to set it up.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i only want to use it for my 15 inch flat screen tv which is designed to run on 12v dc and operated from a 230 v ac ,50 hz according to manual . its an onn tv from asda does the one from argo have the wiring with it and insructions how to set it up.

hi Roverman.

as the ONN will run on 12v why bother converting 12v to 240v through the inverter, then back to 12v through the TVs power tranformer.
much better off with a voltage stabilizer. click here to see one

the 15" Onn TV draws about 2.4 amps at 12v which is only about 40w so the halfords one will do nicely but you might want to plug other stuff in at a later date so the biggest you can afford is always the best route.

i dont know if the argos one is complete with leads or not but i would expect it to have leads, there should be no setting up, just connect up, turn on, wait a couple of mins for it to stabilize then plug in whatever you want.

a 150w inverter will draw 12.5amp at full power
whereas an 800w will draw 66amp at full power which will bring your battery below the power the inverter needs in about a half hour to one hour. (assuming a 110ah battery)

hope this helps you,

john.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi roverman,as PPJ says above but don't bother with v/stabliser wire it directly to your tv / ariel socket or stright to l/batt.They work for a lot longer without v/s and the picture goes off leaving only sounnd long before any dammage to your tv.If you go via cig / lighter it will drain your starter batt and you may not have power to start :Eeek:
see attachment
terry

Attachments

• SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES.doc
    28 KB · Views: 14

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Morning all

I just purchased one of these - Link Removed so thar SWMBO can use her haid dryer. Works pretty well

S

stagman

Deleted User
Morning all

I just purchased one of these - Link Removed so thar SWMBO can use her haid dryer. Works pretty well

Yes got the same works great,800w hairdryer she's happy:thumb:

roverman1

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
leeds west yorks
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
invertor

check this out if you need a power inverter........ Link Removed
thanks papa john the product you showed web site for is the part ive looked for in the past ive orded it now it will get misses of my back she can watch her soaps . what part of scarborough do you live in i no the place well got family living in east ayton i nearly moved there last year but son died tragecly so i put it of still come over to fish lovely place .

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks papa john the product you showed web site for is the part ive looked for in the past ive orded it now it will get misses of my back she can watch her soaps . what part of scarborough do you live in i no the place well got family living in east ayton i nearly moved there last year but son died tragecly so i put it of still come over to fish lovely place .

hi roverman,

sorry to here of your sad loss,

i used to live in east ayton (til i was 21) ,lonsdale place, just off the racecourse road.

i now live in middle deepdale behind the university on filey road. gotta drive over the first fairway on southcliff golfcoarse to get to our house.

john.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back