Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi, I run a small CCCS and I need some help and you all seem very friendly so here goes - what makes a good site for an RV ? How long do the hardstanding bases need to be? what turning circle do you need to have? I have loads of questions and some info would be really good. What do you all think and can you help me to have a really RV friendy site please. Dylan

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Dylan,

I am in Llandovery most days, (youngest is at School there) if you want a 34 foot RV to test your site out, please give me a shout. I am working on a CL of my own at present but haven't got to the dimensions stage yet.

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Oh yes please that would be an answer to our prayers!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Dylan
I'm from the Forest of Dean not too far from you I'll come and check your site out especially for a free weekend (cheapskate) with a 34ft RV with a 3ft m/bike rack on the rear.
Good luck with the site, seriously if you can accomadate our RV we would love to come I enjoy the Brecons especially on the bike.
Cheers
Ror

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Many thanks you can certainly come for a free night when the new bridge is open on the approach road to the site (about a week) in return for your knowledge. I knew I could count on you all for help!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Many thanks you can certainly come for a free night when the new bridge is open on the approach road to the site (about a week) in return for your knowledge. I knew I could count on you all for help!

Hi Dylan,
Would'nt want to con you mate we're no experts we've only been RVing 8 months but more than happy to pass on what we've learnt which is quite a lot & the hard way. We've packed a lot in as we try to get away at least 2 weekends a month.
Look forward to a visit, only joking about coming for free, we are always looking for a new site as Friday night travel from here is almost impossible.
Cheers
Ror

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Dylan
In my opinion THE most important feature that you would need to provide is an RV friendly dump point. This merely has to be an access point in the ground that can accept Grey and Black water. It needs to be easily accessible by a large vehicle, without obstruction and not in such a place as to block the access to the site whilst the RV is dumping, if that makes sense???
The next important thing is again easy access to fresh water, if you had taps within say 30 meters of each pitch, that would be a bonus.
The hardstanding requirement will depend on the length of the RV, but if you imagine that the longest RV is (or should be) just under 40 feet long, its back wheels will be about 13-14 feet towards the front, and as long as the area behind is fairly flat and unobstructed, then your actual hardstanding would need to be about 25-26 feet long so that both axles are on the hard stuff and a bit left over to clear the front cap off the road, so if you built it 30 feet long by 10 feet wide, that would be OK for every size of RV.
Do not under any circumstances have trees around the site or in the access road that have branches sticking out or overhanging the road below about 13 feet, as most RVs are 11-13 feet in height and we hate the sound of your trees grazing there way down our roofs and bouncing off the A/C and aerials and other stuff up there :whatthe:
Most Rvs have a tremendous turning circle so maneuvering on site should not be too much of a problem providing there are not any bushes and trees in the way, if the hardstandings are the way I have suggested earlier then most RVers should be able to park up with about 20 feet of clearance in the roadway, most will require much less, (recently in France I had to maneuver onto some tight pitches with only about a 10 foot wide roadway....) but as said it is a huge benefit not to have trees and bushes near the roadway to allow for the front and rear to swing in without problem. If you imagine that a 30 foot RV on full lock will have a tail swing of around 9 feet, that should give you some idea. I usually reverse onto a tight pitch, because I find it a lot easier to control the vehicle in that direction if space is limited.
Another important aspect of the hardstanding is that it is fairly flat as all RVs and most European MHs are not too tolerant of large angles, even RVs equipped with leveling jacks can find it difficult to achieve a comfortable level without having the front wheels waving about in thin air (which is not recommended :whatthe:) and as you have gone to the trouble to lay in the hardstanding it makes sense for it to be as level as possible.
These are only my thoughts in regard to your question and I hope that you find them helpful and informative.... I am sure others will be along soon to add to these requirements.
Good luck with your plans ::bigsmile:

Keith

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thanks forestboy I meant what I said a freebie in return for good advice and a test run.

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Keith that is really helpful I will pass this on to my other half. Thank you so much

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Keith that is really helpful I will pass this on to my other half. Thank you so much

Hey, you are more than welcome, it is what we are here for....... :roflmto:

Keith

Ps I can't wait for your Grand Opening Meet :roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi Keith, we are open and this is our first season, (never had an RV yet) but we are making improvements all the time. At present hardstandings are level 33 foot long and 20 ft wide. but its angles we may need to adjust so the offer of test runs from Jim Jam and forestboy will be great. Its not too difficult for us to make adjustments to bases or roadways.
Again many thanks.

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi again Dylan
I just had a look at your website, it looks very nice matey ::bigsmile: It would be great to have a couple of pictures with RVs on site wouldn't it?
I would also like to ask if you would care to put up a link to this site on your links page please?
Good luck and with any luck we could be seeing you on a meet sometime ::bigsmile:

Keith

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Dylan

Nothing much I can add on the RV front that hasn't already been covered by the boys, although I notice you have a rather comprehensive links page......perhaps you could see your way to putting up a link to MotorhomeFun???? ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi, silly me why did I not think of the links - request has been put into webmaster and yes will put photos of RVs on the website when we get first test run done.
Great site this ask for help and it was given ! Many thanks
Dylan

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
You are very welcome Dylan - That's what we are all about.....Friendly & fun!

Best of luck with the venture!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back