Securing A Table? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
In my conversion, there is a free standing table which folds away.

But when I had the conversion done, it was stipulated that it must have a fixed table, to be re-classed as a camper. Hmm.

If I apply fittings to the rear doors for the table to attach to, will this class as fixed ?

Well, still gonna do something, so how can I fix it to wall/door?

I can't think of any fixings that will allow table to fitted to, and then allow it to be stored away when not in use .

Any ideas ?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I don't think that's correct.
A fixed table is not an absolute requirement for a class of 'motor caravan'

norrie14

Free Member
Apr 24, 2011
glasgow
Funster No
MH
roller team
Exp
table

hi I done a conversion about 2 years ago I just put up a fold away wooden table stood it next to seats took photos but did not show it was not fixed photo just above floor had no problem

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can't think of any fixings that will allow table to fitted to

Standard on Burstners - a 12mm tube mounts on the wall spaced off by 6mm. The table has plastic hooks, C like with slide locks. Then one leg to floor.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Our table isn't fixed, it stows away in a locker.
It is also free standing so that we can use it outside as well.
This is as it was from the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
hi I done a conversion about 2 years ago I just put up a fold away wooden table stood it next to seats took photos but did not show it was not fixed photo just above floor had no problem
Yeah, that's what I did :ROFLMAO:

Just wonder what will happen if I need to make a claim or summat ?

The pics I sent were for the DVLA. Will it appease the insurance ?

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't think that's correct.
A fixed table is not an absolute requirement for a class of 'motor caravan'

It is for a conversion.

I've just Googled the VOSA requirements and came up with the below webpage:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-individual-vehicle-approval-iva-scheme

It has a pdf file for download giving details of the IVA requirements under Annex 3 - Special purpose vehicles & their definitions (page 52)

Motor vehicles of category ‘M’ (only) constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment :
• seats and a table,
• sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats,
• cooking facilities,
• storage facilities.
This equipment must be rigidly fixed to the living compartment, however the table may be designed to be easily removable.

So the FIXINGS for the table have to be permanently fixed to the vehicle now, but the table can be removable. :Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes in the case of the 2009 Swift Bessacar we just P/xed in March, the fixings for the freestanding table were on the LHS inside wall of the wardrobe. You closed it and stowed it in the wardrobe against the wall !

:ROFLMAO:

Where does it say 'fixed whilst in use' ? - it doesn't !!

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Great, it seems that it can be packed away :Smile:

Now, just need to find the best way to attach to wall :winky:

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
drop the head waiter a tenner, works for me::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is it just me or are men unable to think 'outside the box'?!?!?!?! ::bigsmile:

The part that attaches permanently to the wall/doors is just a pole with ends on that fix it in place (plus a central fixing piece too) ... there's nothing special about it at all! So, you could:

Cut the pole in half (or smaller if necessary) and get 2 more end fixings of some sort and fix put one piece on one door, and another piece on the other door, at the right height for the fixings to sit on and be secured as you woudl normally.

Alternatively do away with the original pole and get some sort of suitable replacement, or just buy the clips and make your own:

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/table-bar-clip-946-p.asp

or just get some 'basic' type of fixings which the table would hook on to:

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/brown-holder-table-bracket-949-p.asp

another of the 'full kits':

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/table-wall-bar-set-945-p.asp

also the below is described as a table leg kit, but from what I can tel it is a rail that you attach to the wall with another that slots in, and therefore could be cut to length and fixed easily:

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/brown-table-leg-kit-61cm-2167-p.asp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes in the case of the 2009 Swift Bessacar we just P/xed in March, the fixings for the freestanding table were on the LHS inside wall of the wardrobe. You closed it and stowed it in the wardrobe against the wall !

:ROFLMAO:

Where does it say 'fixed whilst in use' ? - it doesn't !!

But you are talking about a vehicle built specifically as a 'motorhome' (be it a coachbuilt or PVC) and first registered as such so not registered as a van previously. This is about changing the classification from a van to a motorhome/motorcaravan and that requires 'proof' of changes to the vehicle to enable it to meet the criteria for the reclassification and be approved as such. Therefore I don't think the table having to be fixed in place to 'use' can be a requirement for vehicles first registered as motorhomes as they were intended to be that from the start and so will have met the criteria for that classification already otherwise they wouldn't be motorcaravans. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back