First Time - Stuck in the Mud (1 Viewer)

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Last week I was at a small farm site which I have used a couple of times before. The weather had turned very wet so I was advise to stay on the track around the site.
The whole site was so wet I decided to leave the next day. again I was advised to follow the so called stone track around the site. Which I did and was going fine until I came to a slight incline. Half way up that was it. Front wheels began to spin, sink in - stuck! :Doh:
Tried everything - rocking back and forwards, trying another run from back down the incline - that was my worst decision - really stuck now.
I have some plastic tracks for such occasions - absolutely useless.
Finally I had to admit defeat and ask the farmer to use his tractor. That did it.
Lesson learnt - front wheel drive motorhomes get stuck so easily!!!

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Last week I was at a small farm site which I have used a couple of times before. The weather had turned very wet so I was advise to stay on the track around the site.
The whole site was so wet I decided to leave the next day. again I was advised to follow the so called stone track around the site. Which I did and was going fine until I came to a slight incline. Half way up that was it. Front wheels began to spin, sink in - stuck! :Doh:
Tried everything - rocking back and forwards, trying another run from back down the incline - that was my worst decision - really stuck now.
I have some plastic tracks for such occasions - absolutely useless.
Finally I had to admit defeat and ask the farmer to use his tractor. That did it.
Lesson learnt - front wheel drive motorhomes get stuck so easily!!!

Don't you just love FWD ones:Doh:

Dave the Iveco driver who loves muddy fields

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
why didn't you turn around and reverse up (if you have the space to turn around?) -
I got funny looks driving home from work a few winters ago, no run up the hill to the village as a 90 degree bend at the bottom so after first attempt and failure I turned the car around and reversed up no problem

Cheers
2dogs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
must agree front wheel drive is not much good for traction, makes you wonder why 90% of MH are front wheel drive! :Angry:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I think we're stuck with a design that the majority of van users are happy with. White van man doesn't have a near full load, in his van, all the time, like us, so the weight of the engine over the driving wheels is an advantage. We used to put an old fridge/cooker in the back of our rear wheel drive works vans, in the winter, to help with traction.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I think we're stuck with a design that the majority of van users are happy with. White van man doesn't have a near full load, in his van, all the time, like us, so the weight of the engine over the driving wheels is an advantage. We used to put an old fridge/cooker in the back of our rear wheel drive works vans, in the winter, to help with traction.

I agree..with 2dogs... turn the van around and reverse up......:Doh:...your front wheel drive becomes a rear wheel drive:RollEyes::RollEyes::winky::winky:...you will be surprised what you can do in reverse what you maybe could not do going in forward::bigsmile: don't thrown the towel in at your first hurdle...and I agree about those mats:RollEyes::RollEyes::Doh:

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We've been stuck in some wonderful places in our old Starspirit, no problems in this one ............. yet. :Smile:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I agree..with 2dogs... turn the van around and reverse up......:Doh:...your front wheel drive becomes a rear wheel drive:RollEyes::RollEyes::winky::winky:...you will be surprised what you can do in reverse what you maybe could not do going in forward::bigsmile: don't thrown the towel in at your first hurdle...and I agree about those mats:RollEyes::RollEyes::Doh:

Unfortunately, there'll be a lot with Fiats that can't reverse over a stamp.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I agree,FWD is rubbish for traction on wet grass:thumb:.
Last weekend we arrived at a lovely flat wet grass site & I pulled up in a likely spot near the hook up post.
Thought I'd gently move back a couple of feet. No chance!
VERY gently sorted out the following morning with a light clutch foot & plastic grip mats,just.
Wish I could afford a Bimobile ::bigsmile:.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
To be fair, i did get slightly stuck in our rwd merc, had to put one of the smaller yellow ramps by the wheel to get some traction, then to be fair we just kept going

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
must agree front wheel drive is not much good for traction, makes you wonder why 90% of MH are front wheel drive! :Angry:

To keep the floor height & therefore the whole van lower.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
And the fiat base is CHEAP!!!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Stuck in the mud

I guess most of us have been stuck at least once; a couple of years back we had to be towed off a pitch down at Henry's, mind you it was February.

The funniest one I've seen though was at a CL just north of York. All the (hard standing) pitches were on the outside of a central grass area. This was February and a wet one.

We were pitched up and enjoying a glass of falling down juice when we spotted a large overcab MHS driving down the approach road. I should add at this point that there were several water taps around the perimeter, but there was one (for summer campers) right in the middle of the field, which by now was pretty soggy.

The van looked like one which would have been owned by an experienced motorhomer and I was a little surprised to see him leave the perimeter road at some speed, heading for the middle of the field.

He made about 25 yards and by that point The wheels were digging in. The van stopped and out jumped a young man. He inspected the front of the van, got back in and revved the ******** off it for the next 10 minutes. By which time the front wheels were almost completely below mud level and the previously white van looked in need of a good clean.

When he got out again and spoke to the small crowd which had gathered, he explained that he had spotted the water tap, knew he needed to fill up, and thought "give it some we'll and I'll bring OK."

The site owner, fortunately, had a tractor.:Eeek::Eeek:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
its time to dig these out :thumb:

they work every time :thumb:

Attachments

• grip tacks.jpg
    grip tacks.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 46

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We used to get stuck EVERY where we went.. We have the mats, the ridgey things, the bread baskets cut up etc etc.. Nothing helped.

Then last year I had to change the tyres due to the old ones starting to crack

Changed from the Michelin Campers to Hankooks ( which I have been raving about ad nauseum )and have yet to get stuck anywhere.. not even the 'Great Newark Quagmire of 2013' :ROFLMAO: )
Damned tyres are amazing.. Mud up to thetop of the rims and they STILL got us out

I have absolutely NO doubt that now I have posted this I will get stuck in the very near future !!! :ROFLMAO:

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Stuck in the mud

Hi,i think they are called grip tracks and cannot remember from whom,but i am always letting people use them when stuck and they never fail,had them for ages and one of the best bit of kit,i think they should be in the tool kit of every Fiat,:ROFLMAO:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Grip tracks were £55 and the same thing on amazon was £24, have just bought a pair for Nick fir Christmas, wont he be excited, to go with his collapsible snow shovel and some extra long rubber gloves for "man work", emptying the loo is far too complicated for a girlie.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back