It's not that we don't want to (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
We'd love to join you folks and use our MH, it's just not possible.
My 90yr old mother needs 24hr care. We did have 2 days away in sept but it cost us in excess of £200 per day, so not really an option.
That's why we just covered her up. :Sad:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Know exactly where you are coming from Dawn. It costs me a fortune to have my mum taken care of when I go to meets...... wish I had loads of brothers and sisters to take care of her ..... Trouble is when you do get away you are so exhausted you want to sleep all the time!!!!!!!!:Doh:

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Know exactly where you are coming from Dawn. It costs me a fortune to have my mum taken care of when I go to meets...... wish I had loads of brothers and sisters to take care of her ..... Trouble is when you do get away you are so exhausted you want to sleep all the time!!!!!!!!:Doh:
Know the feeling:cry-smile:

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
The covering her up might be excusable if indeed you had but attaching her to 32 solar panels would be considered most extreme...........sorry your travels are so restricted but you have to do what you have to do. The time will come when you can resume normal service in the meantime keep in touch through motorhome fun :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
The covering her up might be excusable if indeed you had but attaching her to 32 solar panels would be considered most extreme...........sorry your travels are so restricted but you have to do what you have to do. The time will come when you can resume normal service in the meantime keep in touch through motorhome fun :Smile:
In the meantime I get to spend all day on here

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, I always remind my "children" (!) that they will be expected to look after me when I become old and grumpy to which my daughter said she had better get the spare room made up for next week........ It can be very hard looking after elderly relatives but it is simply what you do, isn't it?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Yes, I always remind my "children" (!) that they will be expected to look after me when I become old and grumpy to which my daughter said she had better get the spare room made up for next week........ It can be very hard looking after elderly relatives but it is [HI][/HI]simply what you do, isn't it?

Sadly not everyone does, I've spent the last 10 years including moving to wales to look after my now 92 year old grandmother. She has 2 daughters and 2 other grandchildren. (Who all do either nothing or bugger all) :Sad:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I sometimes wish we all had 'sell by dates' stamped on our bottoms, then I could just tip gran upside down and see how long we've got:Doh:

I wish all those looking after anyone, hugs and strength, it's not easy which is why it's so important to laugh when we can:thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
And I thought we had it tough having to get someone in to look after the chickens when we go away.....

Allan

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
And I thought we had it tough having to get someone in to look after the chickens when we go away.....

Allan

Got 5 of those too Allan, my cunning plan has been to give 1/2 dozen eggs to all the neighbours in the hope that when our daughter moves out next June they will take over the egg collecting. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's part of the reason I am looking to move back to Wales.

My parents are getting on a bit and I don't want my brother to be the only one to bear the burden.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Covered your mother!:Eeek:

Is she like a budgie, cover her at night and she's quiet until morning?
Does that work on wives?

Seriously,
We've almost been there, and I have friends who have little or no life outside of caring.
It's already been said, it's just something we do and hope someone will do it for us if the need arises.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I looked after my mum when she was dying of bowel cancer 24 years ago - my sister looked after my dad through vascular dementia - I couldn't help cos we'd moved 300 miles south by then. It's not easy but I think it's rewarding. That said, not everyone can do it, we're all different.

Keep your chin up and cherish them while you've got them :Smile:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
On a serious note, have you approched your local authority regarding some respite care periods.?
We are carers registered with our local authority and take people into our home for short periods so that there carers can have a break
As far as I am aware there is no cost to the regular carers for this.
Check it out with your local office
Best of luck and see you at a meet soon

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We know its tough being carers. Been through it with my dad and mother in law. Now both at rest in a better place. Remember to take care of yourselves too .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back