Registry fix ....do I? (1 Viewer)

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I ran one of those "free" registry scan programmes last night out of curiousity - it supposedly found over 300 "problems" on the registry which supposedly will lead to major problems if I don't do something about them.......well, guess what.......the scan is free but to fix the problems costs $40 :roflmto:

Question is, should I or would I be doing more harm than good? :Confused:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
no need to spend hard cash, google ccleaner.exe and run it it will find the registry problems and give you the option to fix them. prior to running it set a system restore point!!!!! Just in case of problems. Good luck

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

You are with the majority as I think we have all been suckered in to one of those before.

I personally don't use a registry scan program i just use Windows own Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter and at times CHKDSK/f together with free SpyBot and Advast to carry out regular checks/scans, which seems to keep the system working fine.

While I know that these programs don't actually deal directly with the registry they do in my opinion keep the system running smoothly,

so my answer to your question would be don't buy it

Hope that helps

I ran one of those "free" registry scan programmes last night out of curiousity - it supposedly found over 300 "problems" on the registry which supposedly will lead to major problems if I don't do something about them.......well, guess what.......the scan is free but to fix the problems costs $40 :roflmto:

Question is, should I or would I be doing more harm than good? :Confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't spend the money Linda, its not really nec, they just try and scare you into purchasing. IMO if you had serious registry errors you would know about it already:Smile:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Thanks for the replies chaps :Smile:

I figured as much.........so its a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it :roflmto:

I shall do the disc clean-up and defrag thingy, forgot about those :RollEyes:

Now off to call Bangladesh and see if I can find out why the wireless on the lappy won't work :shout:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
hi Lindy
Last year I was having all kinds of trouble with the registry. Subscribed to 'REGCURE'. It went against my religion to spend money :cry:, but it definatly did the business. The old tingerlerry is now lightning fast. You pays yer brass and takes yer chances.

Regards Pudseykeith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I use the PC Tools Registry Tool which, although its paid for (not a huge price), works very well. The Windows defrag and cleanup tool is known to not be the greatest although its certainly better than nothing.There are several MUCH better Registry and other Defrag tools out there!:winky:

The Registry eventuallygets very bloated and loads of detritus gets left behind with installs and downloads etc which can lead to problems and slow performance, even system crashes. I'm a great supporter of "free" software, and a lot of stuff out there is pretty good, especially if you run Linux, but I also believe you generally can expect what you pay for and all software, whether big name or one man band proggies, takes someone time and resources to develop which is not "free.":Sad:

There are a lot of rogue programs out there though, seeking to scare people into shelling out unnecessary money on "fixes" , some of these are even trojans or malware of a kind, so best to check before using / buying into any of them. :Eeek:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I try to use the free programs, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware, firewall etc. where possible, but I have used a couple of low cost programs for several years. JV16 Power Tools is a very good suite of programs which includes a first class registry cleaner. The other is Diskeeper which IMO is the best defragmenter available.

Phil.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back